KMS oil pump vs stock? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default KMS oil pump vs stock?

okay so heres the deal, hoping you guys can seriously help me. i spun a bearing due to my stock oil pump failing i believe. I was told KMS engineering builds custom pumps? i want 550 to 600 hp on my next set up i just dont know what to do about the oil situation, i DO NOT want to spin another bearing. any ideas? thanks
Mikebielz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

you cant always blame the oil pump for spun bearings... most people blame the pump, but normally thats not the issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

well my oil light was flashing lol it has got to be there was 500 miles on the motor and the only thing i didnt change was the oil pump..yes im an idiot lol but you live and you learn

Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 PPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PPorting

Any honda machine shop should be able to do it how much is kms charging
PPorting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

kms says 190 and they make it according to your hp level.. someone told me to just use a stock pump bc he doesnt trust people messing with vital parts, but a stock pump for 500 plus hp doesnt seem good.. and what would a machine shop do exactly? just shim it? i dont mind paying the 190 if it works well. Does anyone have a comparison test of flow from kms vs a stock?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

Rep Power: 11 Sarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarge

just port a stock oil pump, don't shim it though, you really don't need the extra pressure, just the extra volume.

Need and ecu converted/chipped/socketed? PM me.

Speed cost, how fast can you afford to go?

"While it is legal for the police to lie, they may not unreasonably pressure a suspect to commit a crime."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My for sale thread!
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

^^ and that will be okay for 600hp?? what psi is oil pressure at up top if you do that compared to stock
Old 01-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 PPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatness

we port stock pumps all the time have pushed them to 650+hp even on a d-series no problems, we don' shim them though just reworked and smooth transitions, does the kms price include the pump or would you have to supply them one?

i would also look into bearing oil hole modification and crank chamfering as well those 3 things will go along way
Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebielz View Post
well my oil light was flashing lol it has got to be there was 500 miles on the motor and the only thing i didnt change was the oil pump..yes im an idiot lol but you live and you learn

it could have been clearance issues with the bearings, dirt particals while building, dirty pickup tube, improper torque..

you cant blame the oil pump everytime... take off the plate, and see if the one that was on there specs out.

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
it could have been clearance issues with the bearings, dirt particals while building, dirty pickup tube, improper torque..

you cant blame the oil pump everytime... take off the plate, and see if the one that was on there specs out.
me and my builder did a tear down spun number 4 all the bearings had bubbles on them it looked like, he told me this happens when theres air in the pump or something like that like it doesnt flolw the oil consistantly does that sound correct?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPorting View Post
we port stock pumps all the time have pushed them to 650+hp even on a d-series no problems, we don' shim them though just reworked and smooth transitions, does the kms price include the pump or would you have to supply them one?

i would also look into bearing oil hole modification and crank chamfering as well those 3 things will go along way
yes the 190includes the pump is it a good idea?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

air in the oil..?? that wouldnt be pump related, that would be something related to not have a gasket on the pickup tube, and or not having enough oil in the car.

the #4 rod is normally the one to go.... the main bearings feed the rod bearings, if the mains look shitty, im willing to bet the motor while being built was dirty, or the bearing clearances wernt good.

best time so far

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
air in the oil..?? that wouldnt be pump related, that would be something related to not have a gasket on the pickup tube, and or not having enough oil in the car.

the #4 rod is normally the one to go.... the main bearings feed the rod bearings, if the mains look shitty, im willing to bet the motor while being built was dirty, or the bearing clearances wernt good.
i wish i knew exactly what it was lol thank you for all your help. well it doesnt hurt to have a good pump anyway so i still really need to know which one. what clearances do you usually use for a big 550hp build? any help would be great i dont want to mess this up next time
Old 01-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

i try and stick between .0015 and .0020 you should be just fine for bearing clearances
Old 01-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPorting View Post
i try and stick between .0015 and .0020 you should be just fine for bearing clearances
Agreed, loose is fast. Be clean and thorough with the build. Triple check torques and everything.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

Rep Power: 11 Sarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebielz View Post
^^ and that will be okay for 600hp?? what psi is oil pressure at up top if you do that compared to stock
oil pressure isn't going to change much, but you DO NOT want to over pressurize the system, you will blow seals and actually create my drag from the oil trying to get out and it can't. think about it this way, your bearings provide shims to keep oil between them and the surfaces the oil is protecting. maybe someone else can explain this a little better than me, i'm not to good at explaining things in my head.

"While it is legal for the police to lie, they may not unreasonably pressure a suspect to commit a crime."

My for sale thread!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 mrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to all

175 dollars from kms. According to them all the work was done internally. Shot peened too. I placed my order over the phone and it was cheaper then their website had listed.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblur View Post
175 dollars from kms. According to them all the work was done internally. Shot peened too. I placed my order over the phone and it was cheaper then their website had listed.
being shot peened would be the selling point for me then.

My for sale thread!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 mrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to all

Too be honest with you I'm not sure how that will help( shot peen). It will probably be best to call them. To go over exactly what your getting.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblur View Post
Too be honest with you I'm not sure how that will help( shot peen). It will probably be best to call them. To go over exactly what your getting.
it will add some strength to the pump gears to help from cracking them.

My for sale thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in