Honda D Series Forum banner

KMS oil pump vs stock?

4K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Mikebielz 
#1 ·
okay so heres the deal, hoping you guys can seriously help me. i spun a bearing due to my stock oil pump failing i believe. I was told KMS engineering builds custom pumps? i want 550 to 600 hp on my next set up i just dont know what to do about the oil situation, i DO NOT want to spin another bearing. any ideas? thanks

#2 ·
you cant always blame the oil pump for spun bearings... most people blame the pump, but normally thats not the issue

#9 ·
well my oil light was flashing lol it has got to be there was 500 miles on the motor and the only thing i didnt change was the oil pump..yes im an idiot lol but you live and you learn

it could have been clearance issues with the bearings, dirt particals while building, dirty pickup tube, improper torque..

you cant blame the oil pump everytime... take off the plate, and see if the one that was on there specs out.

#5 ·
kms says 190 and they make it according to your hp level.. someone told me to just use a stock pump bc he doesnt trust people messing with vital parts, but a stock pump for 500 plus hp doesnt seem good.. and what would a machine shop do exactly? just shim it? i dont mind paying the 190 if it works well. Does anyone have a comparison test of flow from kms vs a stock?

#6 ·
just port a stock oil pump, don't shim it though, you really don't need the extra pressure, just the extra volume.

#16 ·
oil pressure isn't going to change much, but you DO NOT want to over pressurize the system, you will blow seals and actually create my drag from the oil trying to get out and it can't. think about it this way, your bearings provide shims to keep oil between them and the surfaces the oil is protecting. maybe someone else can explain this a little better than me, i'm not to good at explaining things in my head.
:3dtard:

#8 ·
we port stock pumps all the time have pushed them to 650+hp even on a d-series no problems, we don' shim them though just reworked and smooth transitions, does the kms price include the pump or would you have to supply them one?

i would also look into bearing oil hole modification and crank chamfering as well those 3 things will go along way

#12 ·
air in the oil..?? that wouldnt be pump related, that would be something related to not have a gasket on the pickup tube, and or not having enough oil in the car.

the #4 rod is normally the one to go.... the main bearings feed the rod bearings, if the mains look shitty, im willing to bet the motor while being built was dirty, or the bearing clearances wernt good.

#13 ·
i wish i knew exactly what it was lol thank you for all your help. well it doesnt hurt to have a good pump anyway so i still really need to know which one. what clearances do you usually use for a big 550hp build? any help would be great i dont want to mess this up next time

#18 ·
being shot peened would be the selling point for me then.

#20 ·
it will add some strength to the pump gears to help from cracking them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.