Building a Z6 for Boost - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Building a Z6 for Boost

Well long story short i boosted my A6 and blew it up because it ran out of oil because i left the oil cap off and didnt realize it until it was too late. Now i picked up a D16Z6 complete engine to put together for boost. Below is a list of what i have.

Eagle H-Beams
SRP Pistons(9.36:1 Compression)
ARP Headstuds
Cometic headgasket
ACL Race Bearings
Gaskets. ETC. ETC.

Now on to my questions. I am thinking about buying a Garett or Turbonetics turbo because the one from my Ebay kit(I paid $300 for a brand new kit and added some higher end parts) has a lot of shaft play. I was looking at Real GARRETT T3 / T4 Turbo 0.63 GT2871 comp MAKE OFFE R - eBay (item 270695410734 end time Jan-30-11 11:43:13 PST) and was wondering if i should opt for the options they have or not and if so which ones.

My next questions is what kind of HP will be safe with my setup with a good tune?
jake1191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

300/350HP, but you will also need some 440/550 injectors, 255 walbro fuel pump.........

but there is many people who can say you more......
RCFRANKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Search honkey.

P.S. Show me a pic of your exhaust manifold.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 motoxman will become famous soon enoughmotoxman will become famous soon enoughmotoxman will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

With a good tune you should be able to get closer to the 450hp mark...
motoxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

You using your ebay mani?

Sorry to hear about your a6 Sounds like you are on your way to a decent come back though.. Good luck
Z6 Turbo Build - Coming 2011
ghettofabulousREX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

I already have 450cc DSM Injectors and a 255 Pump.

Its a cast ebay turbo manifold. EMUSA to be specific.

Also i picked up a .50 trim Turbonetics T3/T4 as well as a Turbonetics wastegate and an aftermarket fuel rail.

I also went ahead and ported the Z6 oil pump as per The Old One - Energy Dynamics : Articles

I am hoping to have my block all back together today minus my main seals which come tomorrow. Hoping to have the engine 100% done by Monday and in the car.

Another thing i want opinions on is engine break in. What i read was 2 things. Which one would probably be better.

#1) Start the car and drive it 10 miles being easy on it. Change the oil and stay low boost for around 1000 miles

#2) Idle the car for 30min and then drive it like its stolen.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

please dont go with an ebay mani! i've just sent one back i got for christmas.. the weld quality is shiz!!! good luck with the build.. same rods and pistons to mine!!
caine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Atreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by caine View Post
please dont go with an ebay mani! i've just sent one back i got for christmas.. the weld quality is shiz!!! good luck with the build.. same rods and pistons to mine!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1191 View Post
Its a cast ebay turbo manifold. EMUSA to be specific.
Ebay cast manis have been proven to last. Anything with a weld on the other hand is a paper weight waiting to happen. You sir, were given a paperweight for Christmas.
Atreidies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 aznxstazy is learning the way of the Daznxstazy is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreidies View Post
Ebay cast manis have been proven to last. Anything with a weld on the other hand is a paper weight waiting to happen. You sir, were given a paperweight for Christmas.
not true.

there was a member on here who was rocking the cast mani and he hit a pot hole and bottomed his car out the manifold broke in half .... if i can find the thread on it i'll post it.
aznxstazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Atreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxstazy View Post
not true.

there was a member on here who was rocking the cast mani and he hit a pot hole and bottomed his car out the manifold broke in half .... if i can find the thread on it i'll post it.
Come on man. That's like saying function7 LCA's are no good because some guy went up a curb and it bent. No manifold is designed to handle that kind of shock.
Atreidies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well went to install my pistons but my friends ring compressor didnt work. Guess its time to drop some $$$ on a good one.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

what is your power goal?

with the 450s you'll be be done at 300whp.

engine break in i do #2 to a tee. i use rotella T 15w40 for the 30 minute break in, helps with blowby until the rings seat. after 20-30 minutes i IMMEDIATELY drain the oil and change filter, refill with regular valvoline 5w30 dino oil, and drive it like its stolen.

i finished my build last sunday and did exactly that, 5 minutes after the initial 30 minute break in i was at 12psi doing full redline pulls then letting it engine break back to 1500rpm, after three of those and monitoring AFR i upped it to 15psi and put about 20 miles on it hard, brought it home let it idle for about 5minutes to cool, shut it down and do a second inspection of bolts (dont burn yourself).

i'm a firm believer in hard break ins, drive it like its going to be driven and you'll find any weak links early, it builds confidence in your build, whether its best for the engine is opinion, and to me its always been the option i chose. almost everyone i see post their broken fresh builds say they did "proper" break ins.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Also forgot to mention in a month or so i will be doing a Bisimoto Level 2.4 Turbo Cam along with their valve springs and cam gear.

As for injectors i will likely step up to 750cc or 1000cc when i do the cam.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Back when my motor was freshly built, i babied it for 2500 miles and slowly started getting on it a bit more until about 4000.... but that was before i was on this forum and actually heard of the "hard" break in. i have had no problems with the motor 20k later. (im contemplating breaking in my new z6 the hard way now...)
blackcherry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post
what is your power goal?

with the 450s you'll be be done at 300whp.

engine break in i do #2 to a tee. i use rotella T 15w40 for the 30 minute break in, helps with blowby until the rings seat. after 20-30 minutes i IMMEDIATELY drain the oil and change filter, refill with regular valvoline 5w30 dino oil, and drive it like its stolen.

i finished my build last sunday and did exactly that, 5 minutes after the initial 30 minute break in i was at 12psi doing full redline pulls then letting it engine break back to 1500rpm, after three of those and monitoring AFR i upped it to 15psi and put about 20 miles on it hard, brought it home let it idle for about 5minutes to cool, shut it down and do a second inspection of bolts (dont burn yourself).

i'm a firm believer in hard break ins, drive it like its going to be driven and you'll find any weak links early, it builds confidence in your build, whether its best for the engine is opinion, and to me its always been the option i chose. almost everyone i see post their broken fresh builds say they did "proper" break ins.
im going to agree with you.

so my vote is #2
spoondcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 xkrazyxjbrkerx75 is learning the way of the Dxkrazyxjbrkerx75 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

now how did u forget to put your oil cap on LOL
xkrazyxjbrkerx75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Got it all done did the Rotella-T 15w-40 for the 30 minute break in. Then filled it with Catrol GTX 5w-30 and drove it like normal.

So far i have about 1000 miles on it and its doing great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in