Low oil pressure - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 sohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Low oil pressure

And yet another problem i'm trying to solve. Recently i used to get 15-20 psi of oil pressure at idle and 50-60psi at 3k rpms. but recently my oil pressure dropped to 10-13 psi idle to 40-45 psi 3k rpms.

Its below minimum spec, the pressure still climbs to the rule of thumb 10psi for every 1k rpm, its just lower than stock specs. should i be worried? I dropped the oil pan and didnt see any metal shavings, nothing in the oil pick up screen.. theres no knocking or grinding. i just dont know if its serious or not. what do you guys think?

ps> ive had low oil presure before and usually the pressure doesnt climb at all, but this time the pressure does climb but its just lower than usual.

please help a confused memeber out

update: bearing pics on page 2
[email protected] slicks 10/6

92 civic hatch
stock d16y8 18psi 15g
R.I.P. 3/12/8
250whp 221wtq [email protected]
Vitara build 44trim ebay setup
R.I.P. 8/9
325whp 210wtq 20psi [email protected]

Last edited by sohc-gT; 08-26-2009 at 06:37 AM.
sohc-gT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 sohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respect

btw i'm using 15w-40 shell rotella motor oil. when draining the oil to drop the oil pan i noticed the oil was like water very very thin for supposed thick oil. maybe i'm bugg'n but thought i should throw it out there..

92 civic hatch
stock d16y8 18psi 15g
R.I.P. 3/12/8
R.I.P. 8/9
Old 08-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

Well the rotella is really not all that thick but I would be a bit worried be better to drop the pan and replace the pump now then wait till you spin a bearing and do a rebuild. But when did you get low oil pressure before? same pump as well?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted-EH-804 View Post
Well the rotella is really not all that thick but I would be a bit worried be better to drop the pan and replace the pump now then wait till you spin a bearing and do a rebuild. But when did you get low oil pressure before? same pump as well?

yup using the same oil pump. it was pumping good before. if it was bearing clearances, wouldnt it bearing material in the oil pan? i havnt seen any yet. i should get a magentic oil drain plug.

Do you really think its the oil pump?

92 civic hatch
stock d16y8 18psi 15g
R.I.P. 3/12/8
R.I.P. 8/9
Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohc-gT View Post
Do you really think its the oil pump?
he gave you an educated guess

now you need to decide, do YOU think it is the oil pump?

its either the pump, or the bearings.

pick one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
he gave you an educated guess

now you need to decide, do YOU think it is the oil pump?

its either the pump, or the bearings.

pick one

your right. i'm just so sick and tired having to pull the motor every single time something goes wrong with it.

92 civic hatch
stock d16y8 18psi 15g
R.I.P. 3/12/8
R.I.P. 8/9
Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 xsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

It could be the feed like or something else using the oil pressure. kinda in the feed line? if its electric it could be the ground issue.
Its also really fucking hot out. That makes my oil pressure drop around 5-6 psi. thats with synthetic.
How loose did you go on the clearences for the bearings? loose gets looser over time.
xsenceo89x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsenceo89x View Post
It could be the feed like or something else using the oil pressure. kinda in the feed line? if its electric it could be the ground issue.
Its also really fucking hot out. That makes my oil pressure drop around 5-6 psi. thats with synthetic.
How loose did you go on the clearences for the bearings? loose gets looser over time.

yeah your right its also really hot. i just dont want to spin bearing cause if i do thats it i'm done cant afford another build because of recent issues that came up.

the rod bearings i remember were .0015 in the green section of the oem honda chart. i totally forgot the main bearings but there were in the green section as well. its been over a year since building.

92 civic hatch
stock d16y8 18psi 15g
R.I.P. 3/12/8
R.I.P. 8/9
Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

I hope you figure it out maybe wait till later this afternoon when it does cool down and see where you are at then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted-EH-804 View Post
I hope you figure it out maybe wait till later this afternoon when it does cool down and see where you are at then.
yeah it should cool down this afternoon. i'll make a quick video of the oil pressure gauge maybe the experts can tell me if its a problem or not

92 civic hatch
stock d16y8 18psi 15g
R.I.P. 3/12/8
R.I.P. 8/9
Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
10 second daily driver :)

Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

remember bearings make the pressure the pump supplies the volume. how ever i would try a filter and oil change first. throw some normal 1040 in there, like Valvoline or castrol
10.7 @ 137.97
1990 CRX Si D16Z6 305/265 @ 22 PSI (SOLD)
11.6 @ 118
Boosted91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Speedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 40 reviews

im running 5-30 mobil non syn and am geting the same pressure reading

stock 240k z6 at 11psi

in for more more info instead of starting another topic

240,000 miles and counting turbo EH9
nothing like 4drs, ac,moon roof, and 4 whores and running 13psi out or a ching chong t3/t4 setup
the build

if it survives the winter JdM d15b+Vitara+FJT+25psi=

professional tranny assassin, 2 stock diffs in 4 weeks on street tires and preload was used
Speedjunky01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Mr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Mr Mobsta Man

You said the oil was like water when you drained it out. I would say your oil just broke down. Try putting a different brand but same viscosity in it first and see if that fixes it. I would try that first.

1997 Coupe EX: I/H/E +55 shot Dry -> R.I.P.
2000 Coupe EX: Tein Susp./Vitara/I-Beams/GT3076R/Hondata s300/E-85
2009 CBR600RR Phoenix Edition: Stock(ish)
2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4: 3" Lift/255-85R16 KM2 Mud Terrains
2011 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260: Removed Speed Limiter/Solas Prop/Thru-Hull Exhaust

I Rep Back!
Mr Mobsta Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted91 View Post
remember bearings make the pressure the pump supplies the volume. how ever i would try a filter and oil change first. throw some normal 1040 in there, like Valvoline or castrol

you didnt happen to add a feed line for your turbo did you? i noticed when i added my turbo feed my pressure dropped a good 10-15psi at WOT and startup
Quote:
Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 Slowhatch is starting to learn the ropesSlowhatch is starting to learn the ropesSlowhatch is starting to learn the ropesSlowhatch is starting to learn the ropesSlowhatch is starting to learn the ropesSlowhatch is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mobsta Man View Post
You said the oil was like water when you drained it out. I would say your oil just broke down. Try putting a different brand but same viscosity in it first and see if that fixes it. I would try that first.
I would try this first. About a month ago my oil pressure would sit from 10psi to about 6psi with full synthetic. I put the synthetic bland in and my oil pressure now sits at 20psi at night and about 12psi or 10psi during the day when its about 102 degrees out.
OEM Main bearings
RC Autoworks ramhorn
T3 .42/.48
Precision 780's
Delta 272-2
Supertech valve springs
ARP Headstuds
Street tuned on a s300 by eee-jay-ate
Old tune: 240whp/204tq
Slowhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

If i ported my oil pump, would that help bring the pressure up?

92 civic hatch
stock d16y8 18psi 15g
R.I.P. 3/12/8
R.I.P. 8/9
Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
SCAMMER. DO NOT BUY PARTS FROM THIS GUY

i been using valvoline VR1 20/40. on my auto meter oil gauge is always reading very nice at idle about 20-25 and over 3k is 60/70. from all the oils i have used this one last and it keep the consistency for a decent time.
d16y8-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 DreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DreaMer

Shimming the oil pressure relief spring would make your oil pressure higher.

Turbo D16 • View topic - Done (Almost) DIY - Y8 Oil Pump Shim, Port DIY Soon...

perfect DIY explaining everything, also, I didnt port my oil pump, I just shimmed it and it seemed to be fine, I also did it to my buddies y8 and works great

Last edited by DreaMer; 08-18-2009 at 07:25 AM.
DreaMer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I did shim the oil pump thats like the easiest thing to do. but it doesnt do squat once the oil reaches operating temp.

Has anybody ported there oil pump? If so how much did the pressure go up?

92 civic hatch
stock d16y8 18psi 15g
R.I.P. 3/12/8
R.I.P. 8/9
Old 08-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Classic Man

i am running a ported oil pump and i see 25psi at idle after a 2 hour drive. i use 5w50
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in