Advice on Oil return line angle. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 shadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Default Advice on Oil return line angle.

Hey guys,
I just put my Full Ram on. I trimmed my oil return line so the angle was not crazy harsh but I'm not sure if this is good enough.
Now that I look at these pics I think I will take another .5 to an 1" off. Please take a look and tell me what ya think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

D16a6
Bullseye .50 .55a/r
21psi on 90octane(Meth fed)
My Completed Sol Build(not so completed anymore):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Song of the Week: MC Rise- This is Life

Last edited by shadhman; 08-09-2009 at 08:00 PM.
shadhman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 v-tecivic is a name known to allv-tecivic is a name known to allv-tecivic is a name known to allv-tecivic is a name known to allv-tecivic is a name known to allv-tecivic is a name known to allv-tecivic is a name known to allv-tecivic is a name known to allv-tecivic is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to v-tecivic

find a fitting to replace the one on the turbo. the brass one. get a 45* one. there is too much of a pinch on the return line. you could also try and clock the center cartridge so that it helps alleviate the pinch

Last edited by v-tecivic; 08-09-2009 at 08:07 PM.
v-tecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Fo sho.. it being low isn't a problem.. its kinks that fuck people up. Kinks/sharp bend decrease pressure. Your return line is low pressure.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

the line def needs to be shortened. and or turbo needs clocked a bit to help flow.
and a fitting to help. all three things would prolly make you be in good shape
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 shadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-tecivic View Post
find a fitting to replace the one on the turbo. the brass one. get a 45* one. there is too much of a pinch on the return line. you could also try and clock the center cartridge so that it helps alleviate the pinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPERSEDAN View Post
Fo sho.. it being low isn't a problem.. its kinks that fuck people up. Kinks/sharp bend decrease pressure. Your return line is low pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
the line def needs to be shortened. and or turbo needs clocked a bit to help flow.
and a fitting to help. all three things would prolly make you be in good shape
K, Great!
So I just need to clock the turbo slightly towards the motor, shorten the line by 3/4" and find a 45* brass fitting to replace the straight one.

More shit on the to do list lol

Thanks for the advice guys!

D16a6
Bullseye .50 .55a/r

Old 08-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

yup your lookin good now.
the line should be a short as possible. and straight to the pan. no kinks/loops anything.
oil needs to freely flow as smooth as possible for no issues.
hope you get what you need so your rollin soon
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

that will not work.

get a 90 and hope that its still a downward slope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 Anonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow upAnonymoussquid is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 27 reviews

if the line is shortened it should flow pretty decent from what i can tell i use a piece of rubber hose for my return.. im thinking you could at least use a rubber hose to figure the exact length you need to cut the ss line.. thats what i would do

271 WHP/ 235tq 14 psi.

other DD 1995 Toyota Tacoma 3 inch lift 33x12.5 toyo M/T tires
On my way to my AA in Diesel technology
Anonymoussquid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
yup your lookin good now.
the line should be a short as possible. and straight to the pan. no kinks/loops anything.
oil needs to freely flow as smooth as possible for no issues.
hope you get what you need so your rollin soon
Think I can get away with out clocking the turbo? I really want to avoid it if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
that will not work.

get a 90 and hope that its still a downward slope
I think with a 90 it should still slope downward. The turbo is slightly higher than the pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoussquid View Post
if the line is shortened it should flow pretty decent from what i can tell i use a piece of rubber hose for my return.. im thinking you could at least use a rubber hose to figure the exact length you need to cut the ss line.. thats what i would do
Thats a great idea! Man I already cut it once and damn was it a pain in the hand with steel poking me.

D16a6
Bullseye .50 .55a/r

Old 08-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Get a 90* and run it sounds like the best. I should have stated that first. Good job ryan
Old 08-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 phxz6 will become famous soon enoughphxz6 will become famous soon enoughphxz6 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Just make sure you don't have a positive slope and you will be fine.
phxz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 19 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crazymx6

imo a *45 and shorten the line a bit and it you should be golden....do that and post pics....

crazymx6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Yes sir,
Going tomorrow on lunch to grab one of each.

D16a6
Bullseye .50 .55a/r

Last edited by shadhman; 08-09-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 164 reviews

As said above. You can keep the turbo as it is. Get a 1/2" to 1/2" 90 degree barb fitting. That will point it straight at the pan and be slightly above the oil pan bung. It will slightly "S" itself when you connect it but will be an unkinked downward slope
GO-AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

Oh man please take heed to there warning that dip is not a good look

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

THe lowest point should be the drain on the oil pan.

RIP
90dirtydsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Updates. Took about 1.25 off the line and got a 90 degree elbow. Think it looks pretty good.

D16a6
Bullseye .50 .55a/r

Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

:td: :td:

much better!
<stock block d15b build complete.>
*Turbo Fabrication by Greg @ GO-AUTOWORKS.*

*Tuned by Howard @ RLZ Engineering.*

SilentWrath* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 fritt is starting to learn the ropesfritt is starting to learn the ropesfritt is starting to learn the ropesfritt is starting to learn the ropesfritt is starting to learn the ropesfritt is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

that looks 100x better, old one was scary!!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWrath* View Post
:td: :td:

much better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritt View Post
that looks 100x better, old one was scary!!

Thanks again for the advice guys! D-series FTW!

D16a6
Bullseye .50 .55a/r

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in