d16y8 -> Aftermarket Valve fitment - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default d16y8 -> Aftermarket Valve fitment

So I'm got my hands on a spare d16y8 and going to rip it apart and machine it up all purdy and build the internals for a sick turbo kit. It will make its final resting place in the body of a 98 civic si 5spd.

I was looking at Exospeed Stainless Steel Valves to throw into the mix but they are 1mm oversize. Will that cause me any problems with a more agressive cam grind, pistons and valve springs? (all aftermarket)
Or is it a bad idea to have a more agressive cam w/ boost?

Open to opinions as this is my first forced induction build.

Camshaft = Zex (street)
Springs = Zex
Pistons - not sure yet

Thanks

Last edited by Point4Dave; 08-05-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Point4Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Unless you're going to have a good Honda-specific machinist work some magic on the head I'd say the OS valves won't help...this I read on Endyn's own site.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 PPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PPorting

1mm oversized is gonna be over kill just get some stock size or max .5mm oversized. the only way i would do 1mm is if i had some wicked cam and headwork done
PPorting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPorting View Post
1mm oversized is gonna be over kill just get some stock size or max .5mm oversized. the only way i would do 1mm is if i had some wicked cam and headwork done
so do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

larger the valve the heaver the valve, the stronger the spring you will need. I say go with stock sized valves, if you want upgraded super special crap whatever but stay with stock dimensions. I would say some roller waves would be good or some arias im not a big fan of SRP.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Thanks all, great info. I'm learning as I go as well.

I have no problems with staying OEM size, but I'm having a trouble with resources. Such as where to buy aftermarket valves, cam, springs and whatnot that will fit together and not cause problems.... almost need an all-in-one online store type deal. I was so used to :::SFR::: Seoulfulracing Online Store-Community from when I built my N/A Tuscani.

I'm open ears to all suggestions.
Point4Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

FJT sells great stuff sadly they are moving so they will be down for a few. Ebay is good too.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in