Boost problem - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 Kyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 21 reviews
Default Boost problem.... Fixed. Update on second page.

So recently this problem just showed up and I can't figure out what it is. When I run 17 psi it builds boost just fine until about 5000 rpm then from 5000 to 6000 rpm the boost guage flutters and I can hear a pulsing hiss comming from under the hood. It doesn't really loose a lot of power, but you can tell it's not pulling like it should. Then once it hits 6000 rpm it cleans up and pulls hard and smooth again. I checked and made sure all the vac lines were on and clamped, and I've tried adding a little timing and closing the gap on my plugs. I'm stumped. Could it be a problem with my boost controller or wastegate? I'm leaning toward the bosst controller. I took it apart and didn't see any issues, but I don't really know what to look for. It's a turbonetics BC. I've been running it for a year no issues. I noticed this problem shortly after installing my new bullseye turbo. I had an E-bay 44 trim. Any ideas? I'd like to go to the track tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kyred; 08-14-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Kyred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 Kyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropes

No-one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 164 reviews

Did you make any other changes other than the turbo swap?
GO-AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Downpipe had to be modified. I did have a problem with the turbo leaking oil when I first got it, and I installed a restrictor to solve the problem. However after going to the track last night, I think it's leaking again. I'll have to check tomorrow. Other than the turbo and downpipe, no other changes were made. The boost controller does seem to be working right. I wonder if I need a bigger wastegate spring? I'm running an 8 psi spring at 18 PSI, but that's only 2 psi more than double, and it does it at 15 psi too.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

How does the fuel and timing map look at that rpm? how about the 2d view?

only other thing I was thinking was the effiency of the turbo at that rpm.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

detonation or plug blow out

what plugs and gap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 smurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatnesssmurf is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

If you can hear it, maybe its something dumb like your waste gate or some how your bov?

Can you get some one to rev your car for you, then you get out and look at it so you know where its coming from?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
How does the fuel and timing map look at that rpm? how about the 2d view? Timing and fuel all look good. I tried adding and pulling both fuel and timing with no change.

only other thing I was thinking was the effiency of the turbo at that rpm.
The turbo should be just fine as for efficency. bullseye 57 trim shouldn't have a problem at 6000 rpm between 15-18 psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
detonation or plug blow out
I see no signs of detonation, although I did try pulling timing with no change. I closed the gap a little more to 22 thous. No change. But this really doesn't feel like an ignition issue. I had misfires before from plug blowout and you could feel kind of a roughness to it. This feels more like boost fluctuating. It still pulls, just not as hard and the guage bounces and I hear the pulsing his.

what plugs and gap?
Plugs are BKR7es and gap is 22 thous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
If you can hear it, maybe its something dumb like your waste gate or some how your bov?
I'm beginning to think the wastegate is the issue. 8 psi spring and a little more than double the psi. Plus it's a knock off tial. I think with this being a larger turbo than my last one it can't handle the cfm.

Can you get some one to rev your car for you, then you get out and look at it so you know where its coming from?
It only does it at high boost, so it needs a load. I guess I could get it on a dyno if it comes down to it.

I'm going to pull the wastegate apart on sat. It's raining now and I work late tomorrow.

By the way even with this problem it pulled a 13.4 at 114 MPH on falken ZEIX 915's. Plus I suck at driving.

Last edited by Kyred; 07-23-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Oh and now I have oil in my charge pipes too. (Totally unrelated. this just started after I went to the track.)

Old 07-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

damn thats a small gap son! 22!
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

In my experience, when things " just show up" its an electronic problem....maybe a sensor?
<j doobestt> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyblkVTEC View Post
damn thats a small gap son! 22!
I had it at 28, but I kept closing it to see if it helped. It didn't. I'll be opening it back up soon.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by <j doobestt> View Post
In my experience, when things " just show up" its an electronic problem....maybe a sensor?
I really don't think it's a electrical problem, but I'll take a look. I know my map and tps are good. I did check those.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

well its hard to say with out bein there if u know what i mean, may post a vid?
<j doobestt> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

maybe you got a faulty turblow?

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
maybe you got a faulty turblow?
I'm starting to wonder. These things aren't supposed to need a restrictor, but it pushed oil past the seals from the start. I installed a restrictor and it was fine for a while, but now it's leaking again.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

i say its your turbo... check it for shaftplay... i hope you have a warrenty

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Yeah it's got a 1 year warranty. Just bought it 2 months ago. Bullseye 57 trim from autoworks.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

as for the oil smoke, make sure your oil drain is pimp-diggity.

no kinks, as smooth as possible, always on a down angle.

most journal turbos wont need a restrictor if their drain is adequate.

it should be a MINIMUM of 1/2inch ID, i prefer 5/8ths and would run larger if i could.

edit: for shits and giggles, get some new plugs and gap them to .014 and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

When I got this turbo I switched from 1/2 inch to 5/8 and I don't think it could be at a better angle. It goes straight down a couple inches and then 45 degree to the pan. These are new plugs. Maybe a week old. I'm gonna get in contact with autoworks about the warranty for the turbo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in