Help me read my spark plugs! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 turbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropesturbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropesturbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropesturbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropesturbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropesturbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Help me read my spark plugs!

I need some help reading and understanding what my spark plugs are telling me. First here is my set up-

rebuilt d15b2 block, 75mm pm3 pistons and stock rods
ARP head studs
oem y8 head gasket
stock y8 head
AEM cam gear
Go Autoworks mini ram manifold
38mm wastegate
ebay t3/t4 44 trim turbo
2.5" downpipe
open exhaust
2.25" hot/2.5" cold charge pipes
ebay 28x3x6" intercooler
RFL bov
56mm throttle body
ported Blox intake manifold
dsm 450cc injectors
ngk wires
ngk bkr7e plugs @ .022"
Innovate LC1
chipped ps9 ecu
w/b tuned with BRE

My engine has a 11:1 compression ratio but once you factor in the elevation where I live the compression drops to around 10:1. Currently I am running 16* degrees of mechanical timing. I am pushing only 6.52 psi. I have the total timing set at 3.8* in BRE at 6.52 psi. I run a low 14:1 a/f ratio during cruising and 11.7-11.8:1 a/f ratio in boost.

The #2 - #4 spark plugs look great. Take a look....

Now the number #1 plug is a different story...

I have swapped plugs and swapped injectors. No matter what the #1 plug always looks like this. I want to turn up the boost but I want the #1 plug to look like the rest.

I currently run the oem fuel pressure regulator and stock fuel pump. I looked at this plug with a magnifying glass and it appears that those are ash deposits. I did not see any aluminum specs on the plugs.

According to the NGK and Bosch spark plug diagrams it looks like this #1 plug could be misfiring but I am not convinced. What do you think is causing the problem? Any insight is much appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beaver Built
Braden Power
Rocket Motorsports
turbo1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

How to read Racing Spark Plugs
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 turbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropesturbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropesturbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropesturbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropesturbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropesturbo1.5 is starting to learn the ropes

Thanks for the link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beaver Built
Braden Power
Rocket Motorsports

Old 07-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

they look like theyve been run a little lean

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Sorry I didn't make it to the shop to talk with Blundell, but I wonder if oil past the valve guides or rings on #1 would cause that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen50 View Post
they look like theyve been run a little lean
I run 11.7 - 11.8 a/f ratio. I did a few WOT passes then drove like normal for a few miles before pulling the plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Sorry I didn't make it to the shop to talk with Blundell, but I wonder if oil past the valve guides or rings on #1 would cause that?
Perhaps. This motor has a junk yard y8 head and a bottom end that I cleaned the pistons, honed the cylinders and installed new rings/bearings into. Compression in this cylinder checked in at 175 psi when I last checked it. I probably have 5,000 miles on this engine so far.

I plan to check the compression this weekend and do a leak down test if I can find a leak down tester locally.

Thanks for responding!

Beaver Built
Braden Power
Rocket Motorsports
Old 07-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

gl finding the cause, i suspect oil w/ some additives getting into that cylinder as well.

how did u get neg rep man???

someone rep this man stat, hes a good dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 JFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatnessJFK78 is approaching greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
gl finding the cause, i suspect oil w/ some additives getting into that cylinder as well.

My guess as well. Some old timer out there that's seen it all would know right off the bat, I'm sure!

color="Orange">NOS
.com
JFK78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks for the positive comment Dan! I received negative rep for not reading the rules on posting for sale ads back in 2006. People wanted me banned. I don't post here much because of that.

Anyway, I run water for coolant so I am suspecting that oil is getting into the #1 cylinder. I am going to test the compression tomorrow. If all looks good then I will try some ngk 8s.

Thanks James for chiming in! I was hoping that you or Luke would share your thoughts. My Dad is one of those old timers but he has some really crazy off the wall ideas lol

Beaver Built
Braden Power
Rocket Motorsports
Old 07-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK92_D16 View Post
Here's the one problem with that link,

VALID ONLY for full load acceleration or steady state dyno tests

Champoin spark plugs used to have a poster of every day plugs, may be it's on there web site.

1992Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

I'll check the Champion website. Thanks Byron!

Beaver Built
Braden Power
Rocket Motorsports
Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes

#1 looks like detonation. But it doesn't make sense on only #1.

Next guess would be the valve seat is coming apart. Can you do a compression test ?

Another idea, call NGK and get the guy in tech supports email and send the picture to him.

I'm checking there site now looking for pictures.

Technical Support
hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm Monday-Friday EST
tel: 1-877-473-6767 prompt #2
Contact Tech Support

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sp...gnition&mfid=2

Not much help either.

Last edited by 1992Si; 07-17-2009 at 01:51 PM.
1992Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992Si View Post
#1 looks like detonation. But it doesn't make sense on only #1.

Next guess would be the valve seat is coming apart. Can you do a compression test ?

Another idea, call NGK and get the guy in tech supports email and send the picture to him.

I'm checking there site now looking for pictures.

Technical Support
hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm Monday-Friday EST
tel: 1-877-473-6767 prompt #2
Contact Tech Support

Technical spark plug information: sparkplug charts, cross reference, iridium and platinum information

Not much help either.
I am going to do a compression test tomorrow. I am going to try some ngk 8s tomorrow as well. I'll post the pics of the plugs after I do some pulls. I will also give ngk a call. Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it

Beaver Built
Braden Power
Rocket Motorsports
Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post

He's green now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks bone! You the man!

Beaver Built
Braden Power
Rocket Motorsports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in