Block Posting - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Posting, Guard, or Neither
Posting 15 24.19%
Block Guard 11 17.74%
Neither 36 58.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Block Posting

This is sorta a broad post but I was just curious what your guys' opinion was on it. I have heard a lot of good things about posting your block but I never read anything on here about anybody doing it. What do you guys think of it?

Also, feel free to share what you think of block guards instead...

edit: here are the links to the product i was looking at and a write up on how to do it if you're also interested...

http://www.muller.net/sonny/crx/engine/posted.html

http://www.theoldone.com/components/..._post_kits.htm

Last edited by 91civicsikid; 07-11-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added links
91civicsikid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

it seems good in theory, couldn't say if it helps or not. I'd be curious to hear from others with 300+ whp that have or haven't done it.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Stock sleeves have been proven to hold now 550+hp...so why block post?
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK92_D16 View Post
Stock sleeves have been proven to hold now 550+hp...so why block post?
Question is more, why not while the block is apart.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Well sure, they have before.
But in my reading, i have read 350hp is around where you're pushing it and thats about where i hope to be.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
Question is more, why not while the block is apart.
more trouble, cost, time. I dunno unless I seen some really good info to support doing it. I'd just leave it and the structure of the block alone. espically if people are holding 500whp with no problems to the block at all.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicsikid View Post
Well sure, they have before.
But in my reading, i have read 350hp is around where you're pushing it and thats about where i hope to be.

based on what, people just throwing out that number. or series of peoples builds pushing over 350 cracking sleeves?
Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
based on what, people just throwing out that number. or series of peoples builds pushing over 350 cracking sleeves?
Just people throwing it out there, i suppose. Still enough to scare me though.
Plus I'm boring .20 over which doesnt help me any.
I guess its just I dont make much money and have put alot into the parts for my block... Just trying to be sure everything holds up as much as i can but cant afford sleeves.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicsikid View Post
Just people throwing it out there, i suppose. Still enough to scare me though.
Plus I'm boring .20 over which doesnt help me any.
I guess its just I dont make much money and have put alot into the parts for my block... Just trying to be sure everything holds up as much as i can but cant afford sleeves.

what's your goal? what turbo are you going to run?
Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

areskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via MSN to areskzc

Well Structurally speaking, the block guard distributes better the elastic force of metal along the circumference of the sleeve. The posting only holds a little portion.

Cooling wise. The blockguard restricts the coolant flow to the head.

I use a block guard, never had issues because of it. I installed a lot of years ago, coz I was reccomended to do so, and I was very ignorant about honda engines. If I could decide again I would leave the block as is.

There's no practical number for this device coz it can't be metered. I mean you can't dyno it or something. You would need a phisic lab and resemble a sleeve under a piston stress and measure metal dilatation with and without the block guard and of course the things complicates as you need to resemble cooling and cooling restriction too...

So I believe it's a matter of people results and stories, no real numbers.

To the Poster. If you are planning to build a engine that would pass the limit known for stock sleeves I say use them, otherwise keep your block stock and have fun.

2Y 10M days without smoking
Join me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
areskzc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

.. Why does endyne do this instead of block guards? obviously it has more pro's than cons than the blockguard.. i would rather the cylinders distort a tiny bit than to have the pistons melt in the cylinders because of inadiquate cooling.

http://homemadeturbo.com/tech_projec...ing/index.html

Last edited by cervan; 07-12-2009 at 12:27 AM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
what's your goal? what turbo are you going to run?
A little over 300hp
t3/t4 50 trim around 25psi
I'll also be using vitara pistons and fj custom i-beams
Old 07-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

i vote posting but only if you are too damn paranoid. makes sense why to use block post's over shady block guards. but either way if you crack a sleeve blocks themselves are to damn cheap to worry about block guards etc..

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 06:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

i seen a write up with a DYI postibg on HT think he was boosted over 300?? not sure though. id rather have posting then a block gaurd.

sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 Kyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

When I built my engine I was one of those super paranoid people. I installed both posts and a block guard. I haven't had any overheating problems or anything else. In fact I destroyed a set of endyn roller wave pistons from detonation and didn't crack a sleeve. I did have to hone it, but I think it would have been worse without the added protection. If I were to do it over again, I would probably just post it. I like that they support the sleeve at 2 points (high and low) rather than just at the top of the sleeve.

See sig for my set-up

Kyred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Not worth it IMO.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

leave the sleeves alone more people make power without it than do with it. And why listen to someone that has no clue to what there saying as well. Try doing a little research and come to your own conclusion than letting us make one for you...........

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
Why does endyne do this instead of block guards? obviously it has more pro's than cons than the blockguard..
cause he likes old school tricks.

well, lets break it down a bit...

pro =
  1. doesnt block any coolent transfer holes between water jacket and head
  2. made of the same material compound as the block, so expansion rates are constant

cons =
  1. only supports a minor part of the sleeve
  2. have to drill holes into the water jacket

GE block guard:

pro =
  1. fully supports the upper most 1/4" of the sleeve
  2. doesn't block coolent tranfser holes to head from water jacket

cons =
  1. not the same material as the block, so expansion rates are different
  2. possible damage to water jacket during install. block is still useable.

i am sure there are more, but lets just keep it very simple. neither is a good choice. if your going to do it, do it right and sleeve the block if your that scared about it. personally, i like guards over posts. but ehh.

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

neither.. a bad tune= kill your stock sleeves no matter what you do to them....

a good tune= well you dont have to worry about your sleeves cracking if your tuned right.

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
neither.. a bad tune= kill your stock sleeves no matter what you do to them....

a good tune= well you dont have to worry about your sleeves cracking if your tuned right.
Woa. Not sure how this thread popped back up. lol.
But I hope you're right. Because thats what I'm going with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in