Honda D Series Forum banner

Check out this boost controller ( no its not a forsale thread )

2K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  1990reds13 
#1 ·
as some of you know i recently designed a MBC and have been selling it here and on the net, well today i decided to get creative and see if i could take it a step further , the result is a 2 stage that unlike most version has 2 true independent stages not a bleed on the second stage that just slightly goes higher then what ever the first stage is set at like almost every 2 stage out there does :( now here is the cool part i used a solenoid that is capable of being controlled by the ECU so in a way its like a poor mans boost by gear but better in that it has the fast spool of a MBC and the consistent boost levels no matter if the ambient air is hot or cold, sure boost by gear allows you to set each gear and i only have 2 settings but truthfully i have owned several PWM style boost controllers and the inconsistency of them is enough to drive me nuts when i bracket race. i can also just control it with a switch and have a low for street and high for track, but i was thinking of letting the ecu do it for a while. neptune allows me to do it by MPH and gear ect ect so i can set low boost for first and second and high for third and up for the street and at the track high in all gears ect. any way here are some spy photos, you will have to wait till tomorrow for a video and installed pics.
oh and before you ask as of right now this version isnt for sale , its a huge pain to make and the solenoids arent real cheap, if i could ever get it sorted to where i could sell them for 100 ish i probably would make a few but we shall see, for now im just gonna play with this one.

and this is my creation for the solenoid , it gets mounted remote from the boost controller it self for looks and clean install.

more pics and vid tomorrow.

See less See more
#5 ·
thanks guys, im actually in negotiations to try and get a limited number of the solenoids for a decent price, if that happens i will be sure to make it known and then i would be willing to make a few, but on a side not my normal MBC would look good in all your cars ;)

#7 ·
my normal MBC would look good in all your cars
if your going to be selling them on the site, i would think you would at least be dishing some of the profit to the site.. just a thought from another member..

as a side note: pretty intresting work. i have a faint idea of how your going to be actuating everything, but i'll wait to see if your idea is the same as mine. ;)

#8 ·
people sell stuff everyday in the f/s section with out giving back to the site... thats what donations are for lol

boosted91 that looks pretty good, diy ftw! You know it'll hold up for pretty much everyone here since your car is pushing as much or more power than just about anyone lol

#10 ·
people sell stuff everyday in the f/s section with out giving back to the site... thats what donations are for lol
making a product, then selling it is a buisness venture. selling your unwanted bs is just selling your unwanted bs. if you cant spot the difference, you should never own your own buisness. :lol:

your idea might be the same as mine ;)
not many ways to do this kind of work. had this idea back in my last duty station. the aircraft used the same type set-up for a air bleed system.

im already helping the site members out by selling them for only 30 bucks. i wont even break even until i sell a bunch more
not the point and you know it.

any way tomorrow you will see it hooked up and in action.
werd :bigok:

#14 ·
air bleeds are why i did it this way, they dont work well and by the time you make them big enough to raise boost a good chunk they become just a vacuum leak.
very true. here is how the system went on the a/c, iirc.

feed -> sel -> valve one (check ball design)
sel-> valve two (diaphram design)

valve one bleed pressure to the atmos. the second valve used the bleed pressure to regulate the first pressure valve. so when the flight went down, there was no momentary pressure loss.

**hope i explained that right, lol. its been almost 3 years since i saw the system**

btw: this is the same system design i was going to use to adjust vac pressure in the crankcase, but thats for a different thread....

cross our fingers it works as good as the single stage does.
not crossed, but thinking. wonding how your going to fault the system if there is an error. meh. i am so negative. :lol:

#15 ·
very true. here is how the system went on the a/c, iirc.

feed -> sel -> valve one (check ball design)
sel-> valve two (diaphram design)

valve one bleed pressure to the atmos. the second valve used the bleed pressure to regulate the first pressure valve. so when the flight went down, there was no momentary pressure loss.

**hope i explained that right, lol. its been almost 3 years since i saw the system**

not crossed, but thinking. wonding how your going to fault the system if there is an error. meh. i am so negative. :lol:
ok well if you use a toggle switch then it works just like any other dual stage as far as malfunctions go, you pretty much rely on boost cut to save you in a over boost scenario. as for neptune controlling it has allot of features, for example disabling boost control if a MIL comes on ect.

#21 ·
ok its installed and tested and so far its passing my test with 100% flying colors, here is a little video showing it installed and then a couple pics showing how well it controls boost.
for now its just hooked up to a toggle switch to switch between stages, I was feeling to lazy to hook it up to the ECU. my main and initial concern is just making sure it functions properly and reliably, friday i will test it at the track as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QDO0_A72kM

#22 · (Edited)
OHH i just found a source for 6 more solenoids :) perhaps a limited run on dual stages might be in the works. watch the for sale section :)

#24 ·
no i am using a different style all together , however once my supply is gone i do plan on trying to make a version using that exact type of solenoid, ingersolrand aro makes a good one. im just trying to keep cost low with out sacrificing quality. also the style i use now can be controlled by a ECU with out a relay, the one you linked and the one ingersolrand make will need a relay to be used.

#26 ·
nah thats to rich for my blood, i would have to raise cost on the MBC to cover it and that defeats the whole low cost to you guys idea. :) im doing every thing i can to make sure you all get the lowest price possible.

#28 ·
well here is the deal , i got a few of these solenoids i used for this set up, once they are gone im switching to a different style , that will mount the boost controller and solenoid as one unit. the price will go up a little but i think it is still going to be very affordable and very well made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.