2.5 vs. 3inch downpipe - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Default 2.5 vs. 3inch downpipe

I see quite a few 3 inch downpipes. What power numbers would you see the benefit of 3 inch? 250hp or 300hp? Are there any guidelines to picking the size of your downpipe?

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
10 second daily driver :)

Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

well while its a given that a 3 inch can flow more then a 2.5 you would be surprised at how much power can be made on a 2.5, a good example i can give you is my old CRX , it had a DSM turbo and they use a O2 housing and stock they are only around 1-7/8s inch opening i had mine ported out to close to 2 inch, then my exhaust was 2.5 the rest of the way back, and i made 305 whp and 265 tq, and ran mid 11s in the 1/4, many people was shocked when they heard and saw i did not have a 3 inch exhaust system.
10.7 @ 137.97
1990 CRX Si D16Z6 305/265 @ 22 PSI (SOLD)
11.6 @ 118
Boosted91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 zccrxsi will become famous soon enoughzccrxsi will become famous soon enoughzccrxsi will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

the biggest guide line is space, but 3 in will do more than 300. if you have the space go for it by looking at you mods it seems you would benefit from the 3in
EDIT: in your mods list you spelled xenocron wrong
zccrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted91 View Post
well while its a given that a 3 inch can flow more then a 2.5 you would be surprised at how much power can be made on a 2.5, a good example i can give you is my old CRX , it had a DSM turbo and they use a O2 housing and stock they are only around 1-7/8s inch opening i had mine ported out to close to 2 inch, then my exhaust was 2.5 the rest of the way back, and i made 305 whp and 265 tq, and ran mid 11s in the 1/4, many people was shocked when they heard and saw i did not have a 3 inch exhaust system.
Thanks a ton! Thats exactly what i wanted to know. I think im gonna keep it simple with 2.5. Maybe go 3inch from the dp back?

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 164 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
Thanks a ton! Thats exactly what i wanted to know. I think im gonna keep it simple with 2.5. Maybe go 3inch from the dp back?
You may as well do it all in 3"
GO-AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
10 second daily driver :)

Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

if space allows it then you wont loose by doing it all 3 , but if you already have a 2.5 or space is tight then yeah you can go 2.5 to 3 , you just never want to go backwards like 3 to 2.5 .
10.7 @ 137.97
1990 CRX Si D16Z6 305/265 @ 22 PSI (SOLD)
11.6 @ 118
Boosted91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO-AUTOWORKS View Post
You may as well do it all in 3"
Its gonna be atight fit in my del sol, with p/s and ac. And how much more power are you gonna make, and Im sure the 3inch is gonna affect the drivability some.

Quote:
Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 christbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

bigger dp will also help your turbo to spool up quicker id go 3" if your going for anything 300+whp
Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Hmm, good to know. Thank yous

Quote:
Old 11-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 164 reviews

a/c; 3" probably wont work with compressor clearance for the A/C so you will more than likely have to go 2.5"-3"
GO-AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in