Which turbo for my engine. TD04 or TD05 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 rcbamm is learning the way of the Drcbamm is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Which turbo for my engine. TD04 or TD05

Hi all, new here to D-series.org.

I have a 1978 Clubman Estate (mini cooper wagon) that I am going to be putting a ZC D16A6 engine in so it will be faster, and will also be able to use 13x7 rims I always wanted because I wasn't able to use them with my stock 1098cc engine

So, I have the ZC D16A6 engine my Dad had laying around the shop and it has less then 50k miles on it. I'v decided to do the swap and I want to turbo charge the engine so I can keep up with the Vtec minis. I have limited amount of space inside my fiber glass mini nose but I will be able to fit the engine and will be able to just fit a turbo on the front of the engine aswell. but... I am wondering which turbo would be best for my engine for most power? I have both a TD04 and TD05 but they need to be rebuilt. I'm going to rebuild one of them to put on my engine. I don't want to go over 120mph (suicide in a Mini) so I don't want a turbo that will start boosting on the long stretch.

My brother has advised me to use the TD05 even though it won't start boosting as early as the TD04 would but he said the TD04 would stop boosting and fall of at around 6k rpm. Would this be true on my engine?

Any help appriciated!

-Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08566.JPG
Views:	8097
Size:	657.3 KB
ID:	19741  

Last edited by rcbamm; 11-17-2008 at 12:50 PM.
rcbamm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

Yes the tod04 will fall off on the top but will still put down some nice power and give almost instant spool hmm decisions decisions. Im guessing your autocrossing or something similiar. I dont know much about the td05 so my vote is tdo4. After looking at them I think that tdo5 is far bigger later spool but will give more power hmmm...........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 rcbamm is learning the way of the Drcbamm is learning the way of the D

Yeah, that is what I'm thinking. I just want my Mini to be quick, I don't really care for top speed. just quickness haha.

According to my brother, (this is what I don't get) The TD04 can handle up to about 16lbs of boost, and I'v noticed nobody goes over 9lbs of boost with a D16A6, so if the TD04 can handle up to say 8lbs of boost on the D16A6 and will spool up quicker then the TD05 then won't that be better for my engine? The way I look at it... If I put the TD05 on there and the spool up time is slower and it takes more RPM to start to boost, isn't that a no brainer sense the TD04 will spool up faster and start boosting sooner with the same amount of pounds of boost?

correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a noob with turbos.

Last edited by rcbamm; 11-17-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Not exactly its really about cfm the tdo5 will make more power at the same amount of boost but to the sacrifice of when it hits full boost. I think you will be happy with the tdo4 and yes that turbo can give you 250hp the td04 that is I think the 05 is a 16g or something like that. Stock D16 can give you 250hp with a good tune just keep that in mind not a psi level

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

That would be really awesome if I could get my D16 to that HP range.

What is CFM?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Its basically how much air the turbo flows here is a good link that I found
http://mnsubaru.com/forums/archive/i...hp?t-5449.html

Old 11-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 SnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SnailedZ6

i DEMAND pics of this car !! :O

i spread REP like a h00ker spreads the clap!
PLEASE REP ME!

Boost- The neck breaker

Quote:
This isnt spoonfeedthenoob.org
91 Da9 special edition
00 Ej6 - boost coming soon
SnailedZ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

You got it.

Before I tore it apart for restoration.

Latest progress...

And new fiber glass mini front.

And now Honda swap

And teh shiney 13x7 ultralites I will soon be buying
Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 SnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SnailedZ6

dude. fucking sexy. i love it. rep for you!

i spread REP like a h00ker spreads the clap!
PLEASE REP ME!

Boost- The neck breaker

Quote:
This isnt spoonfeedthenoob.org
91 Da9 special edition
00 Ej6 - boost coming soon
SnailedZ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

A few more

Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailedZ6 View Post
dude. fucking sexy. i love it. rep for you!
Lol thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Damn nice you have your work cut out for you but seems like your on the right track keep us posted on this one you need a build thread my man

Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yep, I got alot of work still to do.

Here is my goal. I know this is a RC model but this is the only picture I can find of a Mini Wagon the way I want to get mine to look. The only thing I want to do different is that I'm not gonna use the wood trim and I'm going to use the ultralites wheels in the picture above.. It's going to be a nice solid white, as low as I can go, with the nice wheel arches. And best of all, it's going to be quick to

Last edited by rcbamm; 11-17-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

dam men putting a d16 in a mini cooper would be really nice and very interest at the same time. don't forget 2 post more pictures and keeps update nice job
snail89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail89 View Post
dam men putting a d16 in a mini cooper would be really nice and very interest at the same time. don't forget 2 post more pictures and keeps update nice job

Will definately post updated pictures.

Last edited by rcbamm; 11-17-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Niice man! Really cool project you have on your hands.. what does the Mini weigh??

The TD04 would be a nice choice, my old WRX had one and I ran about 18psi on it. Very quick spool and nice midrange but I'm afraid it will run out of efficiency in the upper rpm's. But you stated that top speed is not a priorety so i think you better hurry up and put that thing back together!

I'm lovin' those wheels also.
Tree_Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

Awesome looking build very cool good luck
bcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

thats td05h is off a g1 eclipse. its a 14b turbo. should spool very quick and parts for them are rediculosly cheap. the 05 has my vote. that turbo can support about 300whp on about 18psi in a eclipse. that 04 is an older style 04 with a single vane comp. wheel. spool would probably be the same as the 14b and alot less power. the ones that came on wrx's have a dual vane comp. wheel and a much better turbine housing. and they also have the biggest comp housing availble for the 04 td04L

Last edited by d_money; 11-18-2008 at 09:53 AM.
d_money is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_money View Post
thats td05h is off a g1 eclipse. its a 14b turbo. should spool very quick and parts for them are rediculosly cheap. the 05 has my vote. that turbo can support about 300whp on about 18psi in a eclipse. that 04 is an older style 04 with a single vane comp. wheel. spool would probably be the same as the 14b and alot less power. the ones that came on wrx's have a dual vane comp. wheel and a much better turbine housing. and they also have the biggest comp housing availble for the 04 td04L
Ok I stand corrected it seems this guy seems to know his td0 turbo's But I still like the 04 that comes with the greddy kit

Old 11-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Nice mini cooper. cant wait to see how this turns up.

2nd Build: Turbo mid engine F22A-2014

To Double D or not to Double D. That is the question.- presently contemplating this "daydreaming" dual engine all wheel drive build.
honda_couped16y8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in