How many people are actually running colder plugs on low boost setup - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews
Default How many people are actually running colder plugs on low boost setup

I've ran 7's since I put on my turbo 2 summers ago. I haven't had any problems, that I know of as far as the spark plugs go. if your running a colder plug there supposed to foul if there to cold, which mine didn't. well, they do have a like lite coat of some brownish something, they don't look normal. I'm not sure if it's even directly connected to the plugs though. but no major fouling that caused any type of misfire.

I'm thinking about just running 6's. if it's to cold you don't get as complete of a burn...... but the 7's might be helping me run 87 boosted.

curious what everyone elses opinions are. what are you running? what do your plugs look like?
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Rep Power: 35 torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to torturedsol

All the boosted cars I've had a slight brown tinge to the plugs has been normal.

I was running a step colder plug from 5-10 PSI. No harm in it, at leaste in my book.

I'm curious as to how you tuned on 87 Octane as to how much fuel you have to throw in, ignition curves and such

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
torturedsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

EKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

I used to run the 7's. My tuner highly recommended the ngk stock number 4554. I believe there 8's. I like how the center electrode and ground strap are set up. Imo this would allow less spark to get blown out vs a traditional plug. I always use sunoco 93 octane. Or sometimes ill throw in a couple gallons of turbo blue 104. But that is now $8.50 a gallon at my local pump. I haven't had any problems with the ngk race plugs. depending on boost i gap differently.
EKboostedY8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

i run r5671a-9's right now. i had 10's in before, but it did run a tad rougher.

i think its a bit overkill... but an interesting thing happened to me today.

i was speaking with the NGK canada head tech and he informed me that the colder the plug you run the better the gas mileage. he also said my .25 gap was a bit small for 12-15psi. interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturedsol View Post
All the boosted cars I've had a slight brown tinge to the plugs has been normal.

I was running a step colder plug from 5-10 PSI. No harm in it, at leaste in my book.

I'm curious as to how you tuned on 87 Octane as to how much fuel you have to throw in, ignition curves and such
that's interesting you have that same color on your plugs. It's not like that on any other cars I work on. I wonder if it's because the plug is to cold.

I agree, as long as you keep an eye on the plugs for fouling. a colder plug would seem a better idea to me as where a plug that's to hot can cause pre igntion and or burn the piston. plus in theory a boosted motor should run a little hotter. getting rid of more heat from the plug/spark would help counter act the added heat from boost.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I ran R5671A-8's daily in a NA Z6 setup without fouling.......left them in there for spraying at the track

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 03:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 RickyLee53 is learning the way of the DRickyLee53 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I ran standard plugs on my low blow setup with no problem's.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

I guess my real question is if I'll gain mileage out of boost going back to stock heat range.

but in a feedback fuel system.wouldn't the ecu be able to compensate for the incomplete burn

a colder plug would disapate more heat from the plug which contributes to combustion temps. but if its not reaching the ideal temps. and power output is decreased by characteristics of the explosion slightly changing
Old 11-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
i was speaking with the NGK canada head tech and he informed me that the colder the plug you run the better the gas mileage.
i asked how come and he suggested that a cooler burn ment the ecu needs to inject less fuel to keep the exhaust temps down.

i didnt question him any further. im not sure exactly how the ecu can calculate exhaust temps tho. but this man knows what he is talking about.
Quote:
Old 11-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

I wouldn't say a rep from ngk, trying to sell you something is the most reputable source of info. where you going to buy some ngk plugs from them at the time of the call??

I would think in a stock car, putting in a colder plug would decrease mileage. if a colder then necessary plug is said to foul. where's is the deposits coming from. unburn't combustion. as in not getting the most out of a power stroke.

yeah, the computer doesn't see exhaust temps. it see o2 content. I don't get the logic behind what he's trying to say. cause when the car's warmed up temp, combustion or exhaust isn't a factoring input to afr to the ecu.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

not a rep. the head tech. trust me, im in aftermarket parts, and it was a business call totally unrelated to sales. this was no rep

seemed weird u would post this thread the day after i talked to him, so i shared.
Quote:

Last edited by FarmerD; 11-15-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 SnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SnailedZ6

i would never run anything other then a step colder plug. im running 7's the heat a turbo makes is just too great to risk being lazy and keeping the 8 heat plugs IMO

i spread REP like a h00ker spreads the clap!
PLEASE REP ME!

Boost- The neck breaker

Quote:
This isnt spoonfeedthenoob.org
91 Da9 special edition
00 Ej6 - boost coming soon
SnailedZ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crazymx6

ya i run 7's too thinking bout going to 6's tho

crazymx6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 SnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagleSnailedZ6 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SnailedZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymx6 View Post
ya i run 7's too thinking bout going to 6's tho
6's are fairly cold. id run them if the motors nicely built.

i spread REP like a h00ker spreads the clap!
PLEASE REP ME!

Boost- The neck breaker

Quote:
This isnt spoonfeedthenoob.org
91 Da9 special edition
00 Ej6 - boost coming soon
SnailedZ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

6's may be cold compared to other cars, well actually I have no clue what other cars run, but 6's are stock. the iat on a boosted car have to be hotter then a normal n/a motor without. ...... yeah, that statement alone, I should be going with 7's. i dunno, I don't understand flame fronts, peak pressure, etc..
Old 11-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

53 mpg on what??????

All my little secrets have yet to be unlocked

Ever tuned a V8? I'm doing NOTHING different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in