Honda_K20a's Build Thread - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Honda_K20a's Build Thread

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showt...ght=honda_k20a

I guess I'll start off by saying I am a complete noob, hoping to learn tons along the way. I thought I start a build thread on this forum, and hopefully I get tons of questions answer and help needed (which I already do from this forum) So basically, the project I am starting is a mild D16Z6 rebuild then Turbo. Forged Pistons/rods. OEM Head and other necessities. Later on the down the road would be tranny rebuild and head rebuild. So list of specs: D16Z6 CP Pistons 75.5mm FJ R Spec H-Beams Forged Rods Stock Sleeves OEM Bearings ARP Head studs Stock valvetrain or in order words, Stock Head.

Pictures:
When my co-worker delivered the motors

This isn't the turbo I'm going to use

This is basically my 'parts' motor, swapping things from to the other motor

Last edited by honda_k20a; 11-07-2008 at 07:39 PM.
honda_k20a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

So I started taking it apart 2-3 weeks ago and since my computer was down, I couldn't do much (I.E upload photos, forums and facebook)

Waiting for my compressor so I had to use my electric impact gun for now.

VTEC!

There it is, waiting for parts at the time.

I picked up an "EH", 92 Civic CX about middle of October. It blows oil like crazy. But inside, it has B&M SS/Si clusters

Stripped all the rear

Old 11-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread

Rep Power: 45 E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Send a message via AIM to E. Jeezy Send a message via Yahoo to E. Jeezy

Lookin' good so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I dont like talking to car forum people as much as I used to so now I just stick to the picture threads." ~E. Jeezy

"I should have well over 30k posts but d-series.org doesn't take into account, all the shit that I talk."
~E. Jeezy

"I'm so awesome that I quote myself in my own signature."
~E. Jeezy
E. Jeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

I'm planning on using my CX tranny first with my D16Z6, and most likely rebuilding the Si tranny below with some better gearing ratios.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Jeezy View Post
Lookin' good so far.
LOL. That was a quick reply, and I"m still trying to make this thread with all the photos. (Booo, 8 photos only FTL!)
Old 11-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Finally, the internal components arrived from FJT!.

ARP Bolts!

No love without the lube and I guess I can use KY if this runs out.

CP Pistons 75.5mm / CP Wrist Pins/ CP Piston Rings

So right now, I'm basically waiting to just pay off my credit card bills first and off the bottom end goes to the machine shop. It's 8:30pm right now, I live in Vancouver BC. So friday night, means partying so I'll update you all wiht my 'future' plans for next year when I get back.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 DirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DirtyDseriesWOOT

i use my dewalt electric impact over my air impact anyday.. its strong enough to bust axle nuts strong enough for me i love it @

good luck with the build man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94 RHD samba green -SOLD!

uhh rep me or somthing!

Professional FireFighter

DirtyDseriesWOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

i would save those pistons for a full all out race motor and use viteria pistons..saves almost $300
cruz1383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's that time again

Rep Power: 31 EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1 SCRAPPIN

nice build keep them pics comin!

EJ1 SCRAPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 AllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropes

I likes!
AllmotorD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz1383 View Post
i would save those pistons for a full all out race motor and use viteria pistons..saves almost $300
There's no point now really, I have the pistons and rods. lol Perhaps, the next time I rebuild the other D16 block, I'll try Vitara and Darton Sleeves, etc etc. (FORESHADOW!!)
Old 11-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Oh. I have another question. Do you think if I get the Go-Autoworks Race Kit, but part out the turbo and get a GT30R, do you think it'll be worth it?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_k20a View Post
Oh. I have another question. Do you think if I get the Go-Autoworks Race Kit, but part out the turbo and get a GT30R, do you think it'll be worth it?
Why dont you just get him to upgrade it to that but I would go with a BW s258 instead of the 30R

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
nice valve cover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

I kind of want to paint the valve cover the ITR color and somehow make it that kind of 'material'
Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Curious George

Rep Power: 18 Belette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_k20a View Post
There's no point now really, I have the pistons and rods. lol Perhaps, the next time I rebuild the other D16 block, I'll try Vitara and Darton Sleeves, etc etc. (FORESHADOW!!)
I think you mixed something.

CP is used commonly with fully built engine with high expectation, and also nice to sleeved to get maximum out of setup.

Vitara setup, most of them are budget build, and lower goals, no need to sleeved with this kind of built.

This guys is right, sell the cp pistons, and buy a set of vitara, forgot the sleeving and put 300$ elsewhere. It's like driving a stage 5 clutch kit and slicks on a stock engine, something overkill which give nothing more.

I don't know your entire setup, but going past 300-325whp on a d16 (which vitara setup handle well) is not something easy.

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Awesome Photography Thread:

Belette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

singlecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to singlecizam

i came here looking for a k20...
singlecizam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 guscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecizam View Post
i came here looking for a k20...
x2
I buy from Americans cause I want the us economy to be #1 f china and f euros
guscivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 speedy_poof_car will become famous soon enoughspeedy_poof_car will become famous soon enoughspeedy_poof_car will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedy_poof_car

looks good keep up the good work. keep us posted. what are your goals as far as power?

Quote:
that shit is so clean that its GANGSTER! its the Presidential ED Civic Sedan
Quote:
What is the lesson for class today? there is no replacement for displacment except a big ass turbo
Quote:
They are are like discount condoms. They'll probably do what they're supposed to do, but, they won't feel great and if it breaks, you're really screwed (in a bad way.)
speedy_poof_car is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belette View Post
I don't know your entire setup, but going past 300-325whp on a d16 (which vitara setup handle well) is not something easy.
That's true, that's why I'm on here for the help from you all.

What else do I need? Walbro Fuel Pump, Bigger Injectors and other fuel necessities. Boost Controller, and a crazily good Tune right? lol Yeah I'm missing quite a bit of other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy_poof_car View Post
looks good keep up the good work. keep us posted. what are your goals as far as power?
I still can't debate if I want to go to GO-Autoworks Tuner Kit or Race Kit.

For the Tuner Kit, I'm going upgrade to 3" downpipe and 2nd o2 bung but can't decide which turbo. I heard 50 trim has a better spool than 57, but 57 is more top end? Somebody correct me if I"m wrong which I think I totally am. lol

I want to go with the 'Race Kit' for the log manifold and the more turbo options but due to money problems for now, I'll still thinking about it. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in