Ubuntu - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Entertainment Area

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Importfan1
Default Ubuntu

Anyone here running Ubuntu? I am thinking about doing a dual boot with XP. Any options? Things I need to know when installing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( updated 3/10/09 )

( updated 11/24/12 )
Importfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
COOOOOOL BEAAANNNS

Chucksta It's a JDM Star Bitches....Chucksta It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Chucksta Send a message via AIM to Chucksta Send a message via MSN to Chucksta Send a message via Skype™ to Chucksta

heres a write up someone i know wrote.

http://www.twistedforums.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8889

its good stuff.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 lilred  is accepted as part of the communitylilred  is accepted as part of the communitylilred  is accepted as part of the communitylilred  is accepted as part of the community

To dual boot is a bit tricky depending what program you use.

I wasnt please with my brief experience with Ubuntu, but I honestly didnt spend much time with it.

My fav is Mepis; easy, straightforward, and you can boot off the cd and not install it.
lilred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....Importfan1 is almost there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksta View Post
heres a write up someone i know wrote.

http://www.twistedforums.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8889

its good stuff.

Thanks for all the info man. Thats some great shit.

Is Mepis free?

( updated 3/10/09 )

( updated 11/24/12 )

Last edited by Importfan1; 10-08-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 20 ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to ddd4114 Send a message via AIM to ddd4114 Send a message via MSN to ddd4114 Send a message via Yahoo to ddd4114

I'm dual booting XP and Ubuntu right now. Just install XP first, and leave some unpartitioned space for Ubuntu. Then just make a swap and an EXT3 partition for Ubuntu when you install, and that's it. I have had no issues at all.

Read My Stuff:

ddd4114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 bluecivic101 smells like Boratbluecivic101 smells like Boratbluecivic101 smells like Boratbluecivic101 smells like Boratbluecivic101 smells like Boratbluecivic101 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bluecivic101 Send a message via MSN to bluecivic101

same here, no issues. i was having issues with my video card drivers, but i know how to fix it, just havent gotten around to doing it yet. just a driver to update.

its cool tho. dual booted with ubuntu fiesty and xp

bluecivic101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Im tri-booting my iMac... OS X, XP, Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a PITA to get into because of my setup, so I rarely use it.
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
Send a message via ICQ to ddd4114 Send a message via AIM to ddd4114 Send a message via MSN to ddd4114 Send a message via Yahoo to ddd4114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecivic101 View Post
i was having issues with my video card drivers, but i know how to fix it, just havent gotten around to doing it yet. just a driver to update.
Those can be tricky.

I have a Radeon x1600, and the ATI drivers and Catalyst Control Center works perfectly for me. I haven't been able to get my TV tuner to work, though.

Read My Stuff:

Old 10-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 amarok is learning the way of the Damarok is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Im using Ubuntu permanently. I love Linux. I dont think ill ever switch back... Except for tuning software on a notebook or something.
amarok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarok View Post
Im using Ubuntu permanently. I love Linux. I dont think ill ever switch back... Except for tuning software on a notebook or something.
I couldn't do that. A lot of the software I use is Win2000/XP only. Also, since I'm still a Linux n00b, I like to have the option of using WinXP if worse comes to worse.

However, there's always Wine for some applications, and you can even emulate WinXP from within Ubuntu.

Read My Stuff:

Old 10-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 amarok is learning the way of the Damarok is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd4114 View Post
I couldn't do that. A lot of the software I use is Win2000/XP only. Also, since I'm still a Linux n00b, I like to have the option of using WinXP if worse comes to worse.

However, there's always Wine for some applications, and you can even emulate WinXP from within Ubuntu.
Yup VMWare.... works great i use it to play full tilt poker when im bored. Haha Wine wont load it up so i said what the hell vmware it. I can play Counter Strike Source at 100+ fps on here using Cedega
Old 10-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Yup VMWare.... works great i use it to play full tilt poker when im bored. Haha Wine wont load it up so i said what the hell vmware it. I can play Counter Strike Source at 100+ fps on here using Cedega
Yeah, I will have to look into Win32 emulation more. The only thing I'm doing is using ndiswrapper for the wireless driver on my laptop.

Read My Stuff:

Old 10-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd4114 View Post
Yeah, I will have to look into Win32 emulation more. The only thing I'm doing is using ndiswrapper for the wireless driver on my laptop.
Theres no linux driver for it? What Chipset is it?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Theres no linux driver for it? What Chipset is it?
I searched the Netgear site, but I couldn't find anything. I think it's a WG511 or something like that. It's a PCMCIA wireless networking card.

I also had to use ndiswrapper for my USB wireless adapter at home. It's a Netgear MA111.

Read My Stuff:

Old 10-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Great example of a n00b

Rep Power: 15 wildpikachu is starting to learn the ropeswildpikachu is starting to learn the ropeswildpikachu is starting to learn the ropeswildpikachu is starting to learn the ropeswildpikachu is starting to learn the ropeswildpikachu is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

if you got the CPU/Memory Power..
just do Virtual Machines.

Xen/VirtualPC/VMware/Parallels

Less headaches... you don't like the OS.. just kill it.. install again.
Mista Bone
93 LX Civic - 100% stock!
Goal: Daily Commuter - Suggestions?

wildpikachu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

Fedora FTW!
krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 lilred  is accepted as part of the communitylilred  is accepted as part of the communitylilred  is accepted as part of the communitylilred  is accepted as part of the community

Yes mepis is free, mepis.
lilred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred View Post
Yes mepis is free, mepis.
Yeah. I did a lot of reading about it last night and realized that they are all free. I think I am either going to use Ubuntu or another one. I just havent decided yet.

( updated 3/10/09 )

( updated 11/24/12 )
Old 10-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Great example of a n00b

Rep Power: 15 wildpikachu is starting to learn the ropeswildpikachu is starting to learn the ropeswildpikachu is starting to learn the ropeswildpikachu is starting to learn the ropeswildpikachu is starting to learn the ropeswildpikachu is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

serious if you want to learn Linux..
learn to install a source distro linux such as Gentoo, Stage 1
(it going to take some time to install since everything is compiled from scratch. everything)

use Fedora/Ubuntu, as a way to quickly install a distro and learn to setup such service iptables/apache/mysql/X/sendmail/php/NIS/nfs/samba/ldap/bind/etc

Do on a virtual machine so if you screw up.. you just delete the virtual machine and start over.
Mista Bone
93 LX Civic - 100% stock!
Goal: Daily Commuter - Suggestions?

wildpikachu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I am going to use my little brothers old computer that he doesnt use anymore and doesnt care about. That way if I fuck something up it wont be that big of a deal. I just just reformat everything and start all over.

( updated 3/10/09 )

( updated 11/24/12 )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in