Pc gaming noob needs help. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Entertainment Area

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89
Default Pc gaming noob needs help.

Well i was going to buy a next gen console but i will wait till next holiday season.

I have never gamed on pc but i do know how superior pc gaming is to consoles. Anway i need help figuring out how to go about choosing parts. Links in general would help. Sure i would like a baller setup but im not balling right now. I plan to build this slowly. Looking to run bf4 etc...
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

do you know how to build a pc? if it breaks do you think you can fix it, or should i say can you fix any software problems? if you want something that is going to be as good as a console your going to spend more then 500$ if your building from scratch, if you have a few parts like dvd drives and hard drives or even a spare case laying around that could spare you some of the initial costs.

back in 2008 i decided to set out on a journey to build my own pc and it turned out great, its only now starting to seem to slow to me and i want to upgrade. i spent i think 800 back then to build it from scratch but now days you get more for less so i could basically double or maybe triple the speed of my computer now with that same amount.what i like to do is pick the best performance parts i can but get middle priced model, that way your getting a decent price but it wont be outdated and slow right away.

so i didnt look over the specs at all really just skimmed and made sure they were all compatible but this is what i personally would build, price 749.96 in cart without a case,operating system,hard drive, disk drive

mobo $224
ASUS P9X79 LE ATX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS - Newegg.com

cpu $300
Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820 - Newegg.com

ram $100
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY8GX3M2A1866C9B (Blue)

graphic card $125
ASUS GTX650-DC-1GD5 GeForce GTX 650 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

depends a lot man.

a lot to consider like Blu3 said.

if you have a budget that would be helpful.

if your budget it high i suggest intel i7 any generation 2nd and newer. i like the unlocked versions incase you decide to over clock it later.

a good asus motherboard. dont go with any other brand lol. asus is fantastic. i have the maximus V republic of gamer series.

expect to pay at least 250 for the motherboard.

as stated 8 or more gbs of ram. i like gskill ram. try to buy some that has heat sinks on them if you can.

graphics. i would recommend ATI graphics but that my preference.

whether nvidia or ati make sure its a dual slot form factor. they simply have better cooling.

may be worth it to upgrade the cpu heat sink if going to be pushing it to its limits for long periods of time. something like the cooler master v6 or hyper 212 plus.

hard drive is also important try to find you a fast hard drive whether SSD or something faster the 7500RPM would be good.

next to the mother board the power supply is the MOST important part of your build. use tools like this to see the size you need.Newegg.com - Recommended Power Supply Calculator.

but dont cheap out on the power supply. bigger is always better. for a setup like Blu3 gave you id suggest some ware along the lines of 600w or higher.

in mine i have a xfx 850w and it fantastic. but just read reviews and see whats good. corsair and cooler master both make good power supplies.

any of this can be found on newegg and amazon.

or if you wanted to do an AMD machine you could do i for half the price. but will use 2 times the power lol but will work just as well. (technically amd processors are better for gaming because when they crunch numbers they will round off the number to certain point were intel will find the definite number[or atleast they used too] but really you wont see that much difference in them)

my set up is asus maximus 5 motherboard.
intel i7-2600k(sandy bridge) (cooler master v8 heat sink)
16gb ddr3 (i thinnk its 10600) gskill memory.
XFX ati radeon 6870(i think man its been a long time since i was inside my case)
xfx 850w PS
running windows 7 pro 64bit.

i have yet to find something slow this pc down.

i used to have it over clocked to 4.8ghz but its been back to stock for a wile.

EDIT:sorry for the wall of text but its all important lol.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 559civic_dx is hot as a volcano559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

Can always lurk around computer geeks.com

my 1996 hatch build in progress

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
559civic_dx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

How much do you want to spend?

PC's are superior, but it is a fact that when new consoles come out they offer better performance for the money for some amount of time.
I spent a measly 600 bucks on my last build, which was 3 years ago. It certainly blows a PS3 or 360 out of the water, but I suspect the new consoles will be a little better.

If youre on a budget, AMD is the way to go. The Ivy Bridge CPUs and Intel GPUs have had a slight advantage in performance, but it comes with a high pricetag. Personally I would consider either an AMD Piledriver 8 core, or an Intel IvyBridge i5. The i7 is just way too expensive imo.
The bets way to select a GPU is to look at the most recent Tom's Hardware "Best video card for the money" article. They make a new one every few months and figure out whats the best value for different price ranges. You can expect to spend $200+ to compete with next-gen consoles.

+1 on the PSU
Lots of people cheap out on PSUs and have no idea that their shit isnt performing as well as it could and/or they end up with broken parts. You cant just go by price either. Most expensive PSUs are cheap PSUs pretending to be nice.

Here is my (old) setup:
ASUS mobo (cant remember which one)
AMD Phenom II x4 w/ Corsair H50 cooler
XFX HD5850 GPU
8GB Corsair 1600 RAM
Corsair GS600 PSU
A couple 1 TB WD Black HDDs

I can still run any game on max graphics even with this old stuff. I get some tearing in Crysis, but its w/e.

Last edited by Full_Tilt; 09-30-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!

i agree on the i5. (close to i7 in performance wile quite a bit cheaper.)

truly if you can get ivy bridge that would work. dont spend the money on the new ones all they upgraded was onboard graphics.(witch you wont use to game with)

Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

My current specs:
sandy bridge i5 2500k
8gb corsair dominator
1.5tb and 500gb HD
radeon 5770

I'm still able to play any game I throw at it considering the GPU is ~3-4 years old and I'm completely stock not overclocked.

All the above suggestions are correct, you must consider you're budget before you start buying parts. One thing that will save you lots of money is to look for deals on parts, be flexible of the brands and specs you want because there are plenty of sales to be had. Newegg.com has daily sales, I use slickdeals.net to find some really good deals from multiple vendors.

It's almost like building a car really. Assembling the PC hardware is cake but the software end can get a bit tricky. You'll enjoy the value of games on PC especially with services such as steam. You can get games for DIRT cheap from steam.

built single cam.

track tool.
SOHCitTOem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 cat4lyst is learning the way of the Dcat4lyst is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
I plan to build this slowly.
that works with cars, not particularly well with pc's. depending on your definition of slowly, remember moore's law, time is ticking as soon as you purchase a component

For a bf4 pc that is intended to play bf5 or 6. i would spend at least 900. biggest bang for the performance buck is a SSD. skimp on the processor before you pass on the solid state drive. prices have come down significantly on the ssd. also I would shoot for the 300-400 range video card, I am still getting around on my 285gtx from 5 years ago. of course i am not really into the graphics intensive fps's anymore, just LoL and iRacing these days. arma3 is making my want to upgrade though, you should check it out! basically a decent mid range processor is important but an emphasis on a good video card and ssd will yield better performance over getting the really expensive cpu in a gaming rig. dual video cards are kind of a waste/gimmick imo unless you got big bucks. just my thoughts on it, been pc gaming for over a decade with 4 machines in my history.

these are helpful to get you in the ballpark
ChooseMyPC.net | PC Build Generator

Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker

also reddit has a section for this, plenty of quality advise, r/buildapc.

edit:my pc
i7 750 bloomfield
evga 285gtx
6gigs of some fancy ram circa 3 years ago, corsair something
128 kensington ssd
2x 1tb hds
27" samsung monitor
msi big bang xpower mobo
g15 keyboard
razor mouse (piece or shit, razor is no bueno) had better luck with twenty dollar mice
Fanatec GT3 racing wheel pedals and shifter, just got this pretty bad ass

i ran bf3 with acceptable frame rates on high settings with this pc.

Last edited by cat4lyst; 09-30-2013 at 10:19 AM.
cat4lyst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

@cat4lyst how much did you pay for that Fanatec setup?

built single cam.

track tool.
SOHCitTOem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 cat4lyst is learning the way of the Dcat4lyst is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

It was 305 shipped from fanatec. The g27 at about the same price looks like a toy in comparison. Highly recomend so far
cat4lyst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

What is your budget????
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

600-700 for time being is my budget. Monitor,keyboard and mouse not needed at the moment. I know building is easy its knowing exactly what im getting for my money and shopping for the correct parts that boggles my mind. Some people tell me to wait until november because new cards will come out which means older ones would be cheaper. I do plan on using a i5k cpu at the most. I would want something extremely easy to upgrade as well.

Missing out on 64 player bf @ 60 fps or higher. Arma3 looks dope. Metro and payday2

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2

Last edited by greasemonkey89; 09-30-2013 at 05:56 PM.
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

If you can wait, then wait. The cards just get better and better.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

^Agreed! Especially around Thanksgiving (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) & Christmas time with pre-Christmas specials AND of course post-Christmas specials.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Check out reddit.com/r/buildapc
Or reddit.com/r/buildmeapc

It's really easy. It's basically Legos. And if you get a legit copy of windows >_> installing the OS is painless. If you go other routes of acquiring an OS it gets more complicated

Ninja650r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja650r View Post
Check out reddit.com/r/buildapc
Or reddit.com/r/buildmeapc

It's really easy. It's basically Legos. And if you get a legit copy of windows >_> installing the OS is painless. If you go other routes of acquiring an OS it gets more complicated

even oem software can be a pain to install sometimes, my asus p5ql mobo with quad core 2.33ghz and 4gb of ram gave me some problems, i would load up the vista install and it would load but give me a blank screen for about 15 minutes before the menus showed. also didnt want to show the hard drives for a while, i build my friend the same exact computer minus the cpu which was a 2.7 dual core and his always gave a chassis intrusion for some reason so i couldnt do anything till we figured that out.

my pc
asus p5ql pro
chipset intel p45/43
yorkfield 2.33ghz quad core
ddr2 sdram pc 6400 x6gb viper
ati radeon 4650
2tb hard drives - seagate and western digital 1tb each
vista ultimate

Alicia Aemisegger
Old 10-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
even oem software can be a pain to install sometimes, my asus p5ql mobo with quad core 2.33ghz and 4gb of ram gave me some problems, i would load up the vista install and it would load but give me a blank screen for about 15 minutes before the menus showed. also didnt want to show the hard drives for a while, i build my friend the same exact computer minus the cpu which was a 2.7 dual core and his always gave a chassis intrusion for some reason so i couldnt do anything till we figured that out.

my pc
asus p5ql pro
chipset intel p45/43
yorkfield 2.33ghz quad core
ddr2 sdram pc 6400 x6gb viper
ati radeon 4650
2tb hard drives - seagate and western digital 1tb each
vista ultimate
i think i found your problem lol.

and actually as long as you have a disk to install your os its very easy to activate without a key. if anyone wants to know how i can help you with win7/8

Old 10-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

vista was awesome with a good pc, it was terrible with crappy specs but i do want to upgrade to windows 7 some time. not worth it to upgrade now unless i build a new pc

Alicia Aemisegger
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 559civic_dx is hot as a volcano559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
vista was awesome with a good pc, it was terrible with crappy specs but i do want to upgrade to windows 7 some time. not worth it to upgrade now unless i build a new pc
I'm sorry vista is a crappy operating system that's why it didn't last. It's always a good time to upgrade to 7 it runs so smoothly and you only really need a gig of ram to run properly. 7 is the new xp and I expect it to last just as long.

my 1996 hatch build in progress

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
559civic_dx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559civic_dx View Post
I'm sorry vista is a crappy operating system that's why it didn't last. It's always a good time to upgrade to 7 it runs so smoothly and you only really need a gig of ram to run properly. 7 is the new xp and I expect it to last just as long.

that is your opinion and i know many others but why is it crappy? i understand it has a lot of visual stuff that slows it down but for someone like me who does not game on pc its fine, i have used it on the cheapest store bought pc when it first came out and i can say there is a huge difference in performance on a good pc

Alicia Aemisegger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in