10.1:1 z6 forged internals build - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Entertainment Area

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

psjones13 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default 10.1:1 z6 forged internals build

Alright, so I just finished my latest build. I believe this one is going to rock.

Its a d16z6 - stock head shaved .030"
Cometic mls .030" thick 76mm bore
Block has been bored to 75.5mm with the deck shaved slightly (.005") I also have a ptw clearance of .0035"
Std. length Eagle rods, p28 JE/SRP 9:1 pistons
Micropolished a6/z6 crank, a6 pulley, exedy lightweight steel flywheel, Action 6 puck un-sprung clutch
Ebay header, d16a6 intake mani
DSM 560 injectors, Neptune'd p28

Plans for this engine: It will run NA until spring time. I have a dsm small 16g turbo. BUT I want to get right arounf the 300whp mark. So I'm going to send that turbo off to a local place called TurboLab and they are going to upgrade it to a 19c turbo. Which involves upgrading the chra and porting the turbo. That will run me around $400 and I'll have basically a brand new turbo that will support 300hp with a quick spool time.

On with the pics!

I had Bob Meyer's Performance Machine Shop in Greeneville do all the machine work. They did excellent work and had a very professional staff, with one of the cleanest shops I've seen. I notched the block before giving it to them to be bored, decked and tanked. Here it is:

It's hard to see in this pic but they also chamfered all the sharp edges in the block. I didn't even ask them to do that, it was just an added bonus

I painted the block blue. For this build I ordered an ARP tapered ring compressor. I am in love with it.

Sexy pistons

And rods

DSM Small 16g - 10:1 cr d16z6 - 91 sedan

R.I.P. PatPrimmer

Last edited by psjones13; 11-24-2012 at 08:50 AM.
psjones13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Got everything nice and lubed up and ready for piston installation

I have never installed pistons so quickly and easily before. You just line up all your rings, set the ring compressor on the block, carefully drop the piston down in it, I put the handle of of hammer on the piston and gave the top of the hammer one good smack and they just slide right in!

I tried to get a good pic of the taper but it was hard to with the shiny pistons+flash

Got the crank in and all the rods torqued down to 42 lbs/ft per eagle

Notched the hell out of the girdle

VERY clean internals, just how I like them.

My piston quench is going to be awesome. I have -0.015" piston to deck height. That's right, my pistons come out of the block .015" This is the straight edge laying across the deck. You can kind of see the small gap between the straight edge and the deck.

R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

nice man! subscribed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
built single cam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
track tool.
SOHCitTOem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

It's starting to look like an engine now

Got the head torqued on and here's where I stand right now. This is a mock up of the final product. I painted my valve cover satin red

Today I have to install the timing cover, do the valve lash, install the clutch and tranny. Then it's going to be dropped in the car. Hopefull by the end of the day I'll have it running if all goes well. Cheers.

R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

looks good....why no paint on the head? i like how you did the iat..

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Use engine oil on bores next time. That assembly lube might clog up the rings and ring grooves in the pistons.

Use more ARP lube. It should be on the threads and bottoms of the bolt heads. That shit is cheap, engines are not! :P

Edit; forgot the most important thing. Looks good!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Last edited by FarmerD; 11-24-2012 at 08:54 AM.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

Is that ZC oil cooler on the back?

built single cam.

track tool.
SOHCitTOem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
looks good....why no paint on the head? i like how you did the iat..
Thanks. I have ran it like that on my last two builds. It's much more accurate there. Honestly, no paint on the head because I din't want to do all that cleaning and taping lol I had the head complete and sitting with oil in it from the last engine. So basically just laziness. But it's a nice transition between colors I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
Use engine oil on bores next time. That assembly lube might clog up the rings and ring grooves in the pistons.

Use more ARP lube. It should be on the threads and bottoms of the bolt heads. That shit is cheap, engines are not! :P

Edit; forgot the most important thing. Looks good!!!
I used engine oil on my first build, I didn't like it because I thought it ran off too quickly. Now that I have the ARP ring compressor I don't think that installation time is much of an issue though. I've never heard of the moly grease gumming up rings, I was more concerned with not having a "dry start". But I believe you. I'm not worried about it though because I did the same thing on my last build and those cylinders looked mint still when I tore it apart. Also, I used a shit ton of the arp lube on every single bolt. Bottom and top of head studs too. Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCitTOem View Post
Is that ZC oil cooler on the back?
Why yes it is. It came off a d15z1, but they're all the same... It's more of a warmer than a cooler though. It heats up the oil faster, then holds it at a more steady temp once it gets up there.

Edit, Danz I see what you mean. I didn't really put much lube on the bottom of bolt heads. Just coated the threads really well. I'll know next time though.

R.I.P. PatPrimmer

Last edited by psjones13; 11-24-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

That turbo should make boost quickly, looks like it will be a fun car to punch the gas in. Will make them tires smoke up quicklyyy
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Spray it lol.

Looking good holmes
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16racereg6 View Post
That turbo should make boost quickly, looks like it will be a fun car to punch the gas in. Will make them tires smoke up quicklyyy
yes it should

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drz6 View Post
Spray it lol.

Looking good holmes
Thanks man. No spray lol

I got this beast running tonight. After I primed it, it started right up! It sounds so good too. Much more quiet than the last one I built that had a lot of piston slap (.011" ptw clearance!). I didn't think to set a camera up for a first start vid. But I'll get some kind of video up tomorrow. I still need to hook up my shift linkage, exhaust, intake pipe, and put the wheels back on it. I'll also post up some pics. I'm tired tonight though. Busted my ass installing this thing all day. I'll have it on the road tomorrow after work.

R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 11-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

looks nice and clean.
eec4tuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 12 TheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcano
TheAssassin is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Very nice! I'm looking forward to the boost lol
My Build Thread

237 avg. hp 208 avg. tq 4750-7200rpm
Calculating Average Horsepower
TheAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

theft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

alright wild man, i know you got that first start vid..... post that shit ninja!

my build thread:::: z6 block forged internals with a y8 head with comp 59300 cam and springs, NOW boosted

theft-repo-sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Alright, well here are a couple pics of the engine in the car:

Anybody ever have to tighten a flywheel up by themselves? Here's how I do it: A screwdriver through one of the holes in the flywheel, and a chain wrapped around the intake mani and one leg of the cherry picker to keep the engine from rotating while I'm torquing. It's a little more difficult when putting the clutch on, the screw driver has to go and I use a chisel in one of the flywheel teeth to keep it from turning. No pics of that.

Pic of my new action clutch I got from Aquafina

Ok- so here's a 2nd start video since I didn't get a first start.

10:1 d16z6 2nd start vid - YouTube

R.I.P. PatPrimmer

Last edited by FarmerD; 03-16-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Edited per OP
Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

theft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

sorry about the clutch issues, however you know you always know you got me to kick around. especially for some free tuning. LOL! let me know whats up. i can bench press that trans for an hour before getting tired!
the car sounds great cant wait to hold your lap top while you tune.

my build thread:::: z6 block forged internals with a y8 head with comp 59300 cam and springs, NOW boosted

theft-repo-sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Don't worry about it, man. I've install clutch plates backwards, too, back in my very newb days.

Just get the thing done. =)

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

I'm not going to trash Aquafina here because I think he's generally a good guy, but communicating with him can definitely be spotty and frustrating. Maybe try calling Action.

crx hf racecar build:

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice, sold once

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 d16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

bump, nice build

I'm truly loosing faith in the intelligence of honda owners everywhere.
My Build-->>
d16auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Well, i'm just not meant to drive this car for a while I guess.

When I got the transmission off tonight and was preparing to put the exedy clutch back on, I noticed my new throw-out bearing I just bought had also been mangled. But this time not only had the bearing been screwed up, one of the little 90* ends broke off of the retaining spring that retracts the bearing. I'll just have to special order a new spring from Honda when I get back from my trip in a week. I must have pushed the throw out bearing so far past where it normally travels that it broke the retainer.

FML

Edit: I did, however get a hold of Aquafina today and I'm meeting him tomorrow to give him the clutch back along with my flywheel so he can inspect them to see what the problem may be.

R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in