High MPG Coupe... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Entertainment Area

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread

Rep Power: 45 E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Send a message via AIM to E. Jeezy Send a message via Yahoo to E. Jeezy
Exclamation High MPG Coupe...

Found it for sale on CL...

1995 Civic EX

and here's the info thread on a forum.

1995 Civic EX Tuner MPG Project - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Quote:
1995 Civic EX - $1700 (Bartlett)
Date: 2009-11-25, 12:57PM CST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Need to get rid of car ASAP! Check out the posting on EcoModder for exact modification details and more pictures:
1995 Civic EX Tuner MPG Project - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

This Civic gets 45mpg, and could easily get 50 with a VX/CX trans swap and wheel inserts. Everything on the car is new (including paint) - it's a steal.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1482088248
Quote:
My car got 35MPG highway at best before I did any work to it. EPA rated it higher, but I think the standards have changed since then, and the motor was aging. Regardless, a 10MPG increase was achieved with absolutely no compromise to looks.

I got this 1995 Civic for free about 4 years ago with a blown head gasket, rotting away quarter panels, and about 150K on the engine. It was mostly stock except for ricer-looking 17" rims with low profile tires and euro lights in the rear. For a few hundred bucks we had the head decked and I drove it everyday...until I blew the head gasket again at around 215K. So, I decided to use the opportunity to start from the ground up.

The main goal: hit 50 MPG highway driving normally, and look good doing it. I did not want to sacrifice looks for aerodynamics, and I had a budget. Of this $4K, I spent somewhere around $700 experimenting with carbon fiber/fiberglass and some other things I'll get into later.

What I did:
1) Engine
I replaced the American D16z 135hp 1.6L Vtec motor with a Japanese motor purchased on Ebay for $725 w/ shipping. It was a D15b 105hp 1.5L Vtec with somewhere between 30K and 40K on it. Apparently, they don't drive their cars for as long as we do - and these engines are in good supply. The company sent me the wrong motor at first, but it was worked out. The motor was a direct replacement and fit the 5speed manual transmission just fine, however...

EVERYTHING from the old block had to be unbolted and transferred to the Japanese motor, even the mounts. I didn't replace the intake manifold - the Japanese intake did not have a vacuum tube inlet like its American counterpart, so I just plugged the hose that was supposed to connect to it. The ECM took a couple starts before the Japanese motor idled correctly, but seems to work fine. I don't know if it is throwing any codes from this swap because the warning lights are on the instrument cluster...which I don't have (we will get to that later).

2) Rotational Weight
I removed the belts for power steering and and a/c, thus making the alternator the only accessory load on the motor. Since the alternator pulley weighed 6lbs and no longer needed the two step downs for the other two belts, I had them milled off. It now weighs between 3.5 and 4 lbs. In the future, I will probably remove the a/c unit all together and put in an aluminum alternator pulley.

I did a lot of research on rims and tire weights, and found the 15" rims I put on were pretty comparable to the 14" steelies on originally. I couldn't afford Ray's Wheels, and I hear they don't hold up well to potholes...which Chicagoland roads are filled with. For tires I chose the Radial TA's, and they are a lb or so heavier than an average tire, but just HAD to be included. I have never seen them on a Honda, until now. Call it my muscle car background, but this tire is beautiful.

In the future, I will either do a rear disc conversion or find a way to use the Insight aluminum drums for further rotational weight reduction.

3) Weight Reduction
I found a dented carbon fiber hood on Craigslist for $200. DON'T EVER TRY TO DO BODYWORK TO CARBON FIBER. I spent many hours on that hood - filling, blocking, and priming - 6 months later, the dents are visible up close and the carbon fiber material came through. It does not look horrible by any means, but I'm a perfectionist. Either way, the paint and body work only added a couple pounds, so it was a victory.

I gutted the ENTIRE interior. We are talking a tin can here - plastic panels, seats, carpet, and even the soundproofing (which was heavy). I modified the driver seat mount and attached an aluminum bomber seat (hot rod style) to it. I "tubbed" the passenger side door (thus making it a 1 seater with the possibility for a rear passenger seat) and held the window up using an old Mopar racing trick: a seatbelt! I kept the driver side impact bar, but removed the door panel etc. I also got rid of the spare tire for two cans of fix-a-flat.

I experimented a lot with the dashboard, and found it too difficult to save (woops, accidentally broke it after I ripped out all the heavy supports). I managed to make one out of cardboard and fiberglass; it turned out o.k. for a beginner.

I think this body style looks more aggressive with the sunroof "up", so I wanted to keep it functional. The glass weighs about 20 lbs, and the weight of the motor and track is another 10, so this was definitely an area of concern. I could have put in an expensive carbon fiber plug or welded in a new roof entirely, but I decided to make it out of a composite. BAD IDEA. Getting it to seal right was next to impossible, and the curves still didn't match up. I had to find a new piece of glass via Craigslist for $50. In the future, I will probably break the glass and glue in a hard plastic - this way the metal frame that surrounds the glass holds the seal and does not mess with the functionality.

Finally, after grinding away at the caulk, I rhino-lined the entire interior and dashboard. It was mostly for aesthetics, but I also used it as a sound barrier. I have never seen this done to the inside of any barebones race car, and it looks amazingly nice. Plus one for me.

All together, I think I lost about 195 lbs from the car (or rather about 175 lbs since I have the original glass back in), but the 3rd video I linked has the exact amount.

4) Aerodynamics
I shaved the front bumper fog lights, the side moldings, the roof moldings, the windshield moldings, and the mirrors. The moldings were mostly for aesthetics. I couldn't bear the thought of buying an ill-fitting bodykit for this car (even though I do love the Fast and Furious), so I tried to make use of the original parts the best I could. The bumper turned out really nice and the mirrors were replaced with cowl mounted cameras. I removed the front mud flaps and kept the rear ones ONLY because they make the rear bumper line seem lower, just like a bodykit. This is because I painted the rockers and the rear flaps gloss black instead of their original flat black. Also, I glued in rain guards (after painting them) to make the weirdly large side windows seem smaller, and it worked - another trade off for looks.

The front springs are lowered, thus bringing the car closer the ground, and in the future I intend to make the typical plastic underbelly pan for it.

5) Gadgets
I hooked up an MPGuino for use as my speedometer since I ripped out the digital cluster!

Results:
I hit 45MPG on my first road trip, accelerating normally (no hypermiling here). After doing between 65 and 70 on the highway for a long time, I stopped counting miles traveled when the engine first stuttered. I would guess that the car, in its fashionable state, will probably top out around 47MPG with future improvements, and I'll take this ride over a Prius any day!
Quite interesting...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I dont like talking to car forum people as much as I used to so now I just stick to the picture threads." ~E. Jeezy

"I should have well over 30k posts but d-series.org doesn't take into account, all the shit that I talk."
~E. Jeezy

"I'm so awesome that I quote myself in my own signature."
~E. Jeezy
E. Jeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 smellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to smellslikerice

id buy it if it was local.
smellslikerice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

do you think he would be pissed if i emailed him and told him my full interior couple boosted and has around 300whp gets 47mpg on the highway?
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 19 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

lol.. do it and report back..
Quote:
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmod View Post
lol.. do it and report back..
just sent one. tried not to be to much of a asshat!

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
I survived code 9

Location: an imaginary place where chrome rims don't exist. Oh! Tennessee.
Milano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Milano_Redline

I got 43mpg and then 45mpg on my road trip cross state last year in my EJ6 coupe. Full interior.

Milano_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 gavin.p89 is learning the way of the Dgavin.p89 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano_Redline View Post
I got 43mpg and then 45mpg on my road trip cross state last year in my EJ6 coupe. Full interior.

I can as well with full interior and a passenger if i drive at 60 mph on the highway steady in my 98 coupe
gavin.p89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Rep Power: 32 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Not going to lie it looks fugly!
Whats with the back taillights?? A little to ricey for me. I could careless about mpg.

Hella Flush.....Were waiting!

Xbox gamer tag: THErealTMACK
T-MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
I survived code 9

Location: an imaginary place where chrome rims don't exist. Oh! Tennessee.
Milano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcano
Send a message via AIM to Milano_Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin.p89 View Post
I can as well with full interior and a passenger if i drive at 60 mph on the highway steady in my 98 coupe
Red coupes FTW!!!

Milano_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MacK View Post
Not going to lie it looks fugly!
Whats with the back taillights?? A little to ricey for me. I could careless about mpg.
i have to agree!
and what about all the shit on the dash. are those tv's? and is that the ecu sticking up there too?

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Old 12-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

anything above 30 is good, in my book.
Chrissmilesback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 SuperSeanic smells like BoratSuperSeanic smells like BoratSuperSeanic smells like BoratSuperSeanic smells like BoratSuperSeanic smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
i have to agree!
and what about all the shit on the dash. are those tv's? and is that the ecu sticking up there too?
who cares about that when you see the house vent on the dash haha

SuperSeanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSeanic View Post
who cares about that when you see the house vent on the dash haha
you have a very good point there

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Old 12-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 4dr-type-r  is slowly gaining respect4dr-type-r  is slowly gaining respect4dr-type-r  is slowly gaining respect4dr-type-r  is slowly gaining respect4dr-type-r  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

my stock integra ls 4dr gets 35-38 beeting the shit out of it and doing like 90 on freeway lol never been able to go a full tank and not wot some of the time
4dr-type-r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

i hate it when people take pics of their cars after they wash it and its still wet and use the pics in a for sale ad.

hides so much. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wes
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 Wes is starting to learn the ropesWes is starting to learn the ropesWes is starting to learn the ropesWes is starting to learn the ropesWes is starting to learn the ropesWes is starting to learn the ropesWes is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissmilesback View Post
anything above 30 is good, in my book.
Word. Even with my frequent "spirited commutes" I can still pull off 30. All that ecomodding stuff sounds pretty cool tho I guess if you're into it.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

so i got a reply from the guy!
here is a copy and paste. and i replyed back to him saying i do have a ex and a ex trans and full interior and a cage. basically everything opposite of what he said that makes the mpg higher haha

"What model are you driving? EX, CX/VX? I was never able to findspecific model number gas mileage online, but the VX/CX was probablycapable of getting close to that gas mileage. The EX was nevercapable of those numbers due to its transmission and weight - not evenbefore they changed the mpg rating to the new standards. Estimatedfuel economy online for any general 92-95 civic is 34-41, and my EXwas hitting a consistent 34-35 when I drove it originally. Honda Civic Prices & Reviews Gas Mileage of 1995 Honda Civic I highly doubt you're putting up those numbers in an EX withouthypermiling. I have some of the interior parts lying around, but notmuch - I lost at least a 100 pounds of weight, never wanted to back! "

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 93redcivic is learning the way of the D93redcivic is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
so i got a reply from the guy!
here is a copy and paste. and i replyed back to him saying i do have a ex and a ex trans and full interior and a cage. basically everything opposite of what he said that makes the mpg higher haha

"What model are you driving? EX, CX/VX? I was never able to findspecific model number gas mileage online, but the VX/CX was probablycapable of getting close to that gas mileage. The EX was nevercapable of those numbers due to its transmission and weight - not evenbefore they changed the mpg rating to the new standards. Estimatedfuel economy online for any general 92-95 civic is 34-41, and my EXwas hitting a consistent 34-35 when I drove it originally. Honda Civic Prices & Reviews Gas Mileage of 1995 Honda Civic I highly doubt you're putting up those numbers in an EX withouthypermiling. I have some of the interior parts lying around, but notmuch - I lost at least a 100 pounds of weight, never wanted to back! "
;o
lol
93redcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 93redcivic is learning the way of the D93redcivic is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Jeezy View Post
Found it for sale on CL...

1995 Civic EX

and here's the info thread on a forum.

Quite interesting...
okay it looks like the srceen is a back up camrea and that is the ecu lol. love ing the speakers as well from wat it looks like. and whtf is the cluster lmao
93redcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 19 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

LMAO.. he seems a bit ignorant to the internet and hondas...

And he stated that he had cameras as side mirrors to aerodynamic resistance.. i guess those are the camera for them.. what i don't see is why he made a dash outta cardboard and fiberglass?? and then used a house vent as a stock vent..
Crazy crazy people out there..
Quote:
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in