Honda D Series Forum banner

Troubleshooting Freelog

5K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  samuraiz 
#1 ·
Trying to follow the steps here to get freelog working with my chipped ecu and HULog. If you've got a better DIY for different free datalogging software feel free to speak up. I haven't been able to get anything working so I'm open to all options.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34776

Obviously I can't get it to log anything, and when I click Loopback Test or Sanity Check, both fail. My com settings match what's described in the above DIY and I can see a green led on the HULog board blinking when the app tries to connect.

My ECU has a jumper on J12 that can turn it on and off and since I've been confused about which way it's supposed to be I've tried it with the jumper in both positions.

I've also tried with the key off, in run, and with the car running.

#3 ·
Oh yeah, sorry, I've posted about multiple cars on here before so I should really specify.

This is in my 88 CRX DX w/ a d16y5 that has never run right (will be linking to a thread about those issues in a minute) Running a chipped obd1 ECU I got from Chris Mccarron using a d16y5 chip I got from AMKrew_1 on these boards. I'm using a obd0-obd1 harness I made myself I think I listed all the other applicable parts in the first post.

#5 ·
I think was running this on a PM6 (That's obd-0 integra, right?) before I converted it over to OBD-1 and I think it ran a little worse then than now, but that's another thread, I'm really trying to figure out freelog here.

#7 ·
Of course it isn't necessary, but there's alot more support for chipped OBD1 ecus than there is for OBD0 and I generally try to go the most documented route. Though clearly this philosophy started AFTER I put the y5 in my car. *groan*

#10 ·
Yes. I also have a y5 basemap if you dont already have one. DId you enable dataloggingon your chipped ECU since it doesnt sound like it.

Also on the settings make sure that it says "Crome" and the version you are using.

#11 ·
Could you send me your basemap? How good is it? Good enough to run or good enough to drive? I'm pretty sure I enabled datalogging, I forget what tutorial I was following when I did it.

What settings are you talking about? The plugin I added for datalogging was called "Quick Datalogger +RTP" and my CROME version number is 1.5.0

#15 ·
Is that your tuned y5 map or your y5 basemap? It's better than the other maps I've recieved. Car appears to run and rev fine in neutral, but when I try to drive it, it bucks like a bronco.

Followed those directions and I actually got it working! sorta... Though the car did run ok on the P72 map. I don't really understand why I can't add the RTP module to the base P28 map, as my car likes it much better.

Data is all wrong, gear selection seems to be completely irrelevant, speed alternates between 86mph and 106mph when I'm sitting in the driveway. Every sensor I noticed is wildly alternating. RPM seems to be stuck at 3648 but every once in a while it blips over to some 7000+ number. Drove around the block but it doesn't seem to have saved anything useful. Should I post my results? I doubt anything useful will come of it...

#16 ·
the y5 map was tuned on a dyno.

DId you make sure to select the right version of Crome in the settings? Make sure the cable is facing the right way? Double checked to make sure the datalogger plugin is added?

Might I also recommend double checking the advanced tables. They are different from a p28 and the p30 and they make a big difference.

#17 ·
Freelog doesn't work at all when the cable is facing the other way or the plugin isn't added. It doesn't even connect or pass the test mode. Strangely enough it only passed the test half the time as I have it configured now. I didn't know there were advanced tables till you mentioned them, and frankly I'm too scared to mess with them given that I definitely am a novice to this. What should I be double checking for? Is your code based on a p30? Wouldn't a p28 be closer to what I want?

#19 ·
ok here is your problem... do not use quick datalogger+rtp

u need the plugin for crome for freelog so u can add freelog datalogging to the map

start with a p30 base and transfer your tables to the p30 base and remove checksome routine and add freelog once u install the plugin then upload to your ostrich.. make shure you add freelog last because if you dont sometimes it will get the messed up readings like you mentioned

and if you are using crome u need j12 cut

i can take a screen shot of settings if u need.. and once u get freelog accually working there is a way to make it update at a much faster rate but we will get there once ur connected and logging first

#20 · (Edited)
What if I'm not using an ostrich? Where do I get the plugin to use freelog with crome? I've got a resistor at J12 and a jumper that bypasses the resistor. I've been following the instructions from the guy who made the ECU for me in regards to that jumper.

and the blue one is used to enable either full duplex (pin 1&2) or half duplex (pins 2&3).
Blue Jumper – Should be across pins 2 & 3

Connector Side } 123 }

Of ECU _______ } ooo }

I believe this is referring to position J12.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.