ECU for manual and automatic... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
E_Canama

Red face ECU for manual and automatic...

i am new here, and i currently hav a 97' Civic, has the 1.5L non-vtec motor, which is manual. I bought a D15B vtec (20 cam lobe) which is automatic. I am swapping the transmissions, but i wonder if both ECU'S would work with that? if the P08 automatic ECU woul work with the NOW manual d15b?.. and if my non-vtec manual ECU would work with the now automatic non-vtec engine? Please help me...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 SOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHCpower

you can convert the ecu to be manual by taking some transisters out... hold ill try to look for the how to and post it up
SOHCpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 SOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to all

http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/...egraAutoManual is the article... now u say ur old engine was a non vtec, and the new one d15b is vtec, are you asking if ur non vtec ecu will work with the vtec motor? cause no it wont with out some modification such as a chip with a vtec rom on there... so you could use it if you chipped with crome or uberdata. or you could get a vtec controller and use that... but if u want to do the auto to manual on the ecu that is vtec, just follow the article there... i think its for a p28, but i would assume that it would be the same?

Old 02-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
eg4
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 eg4 is a name known to alleg4 is a name known to alleg4 is a name known to alleg4 is a name known to alleg4 is a name known to alleg4 is a name known to alleg4 is a name known to alleg4 is a name known to alleg4 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to eg4 Send a message via AIM to eg4 Send a message via MSN to eg4

you must also add vtec on the ecu, it isnt only chipping.
105300 cam
ferrea 20 Super Flo. 1 mm oversize valves
zex valve springs
Edelbrock Performer X
62mm TB
d16a6 block
76mm p29 pistons
walbro 255lph
100cel catalytic convertor
fidanza 7lbs flywheel
dc2 catback
comptech header
CROME tuned p28 ecu
12,5:1 cr
4,43FD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

well yea the vtec conversions can be found on ebay as well
Old 02-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

First, Make sure you have an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness because the P08 ECU won't work in your car without it since your car is a 97 (OBD2). As for the Non-Vtec manual working with Non-vtec auto... Your stock 97 manual ECU may not have the onboard harware to run an auto tranny.. so that's probably a negative on that working.

You can run the auto P08 with the manual D15B. Just follow the guide that SOHCpower posted the link to. You'll need to remove the RP17 resistor with a soldering iron. There will be little white letters on the board that say "RP17".

Don't follow the pictures on the guide that was posted though because they're of a US ECU not JDM.

I'll post some pictures of a JDM ECU later if you would like.

Anyways... good luck I hope I helped.

Last edited by Falcon7; 02-17-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Falcon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2006, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Hmm.... I was told to remove RP17 AND RP18 to get it to work properly. That's what I did on my 92 Si d16z6. Maybe not removing RP18 because he's going OBD2 to OBD1?
Chefboiali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefboiali
Hmm.... I was told to remove RP17 AND RP18 to get it to work properly. That's what I did on my 92 Si d16z6. Maybe not removing RP18 because he's going OBD2 to OBD1?
No RP18 stays jumpered.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

if your automatic transmission has a sensor that looks like two cylindrical solenoids, unbolt it and connect it to the d15b harness. this gets rid of the check engine light by making the ecu believe it is still automatic.
i did this when i swapped my trans for a 5sp box and it works fine.
BUT this raises some questions about removing the transistors as mentioned above. What difference in terms of performance will i get when the ecu is modded from auto to manual??? I have an ecu with P29 code for a DOHC non-vtec motor.
auto to manual swap, ACT Street and Strip clutch
Tein S-Tech drop springs w/stock dampers
15" Konig Holes, 205/50/15 Falken Ziex 326

Chipped P29 Tuned with CROME
'92 HatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2006, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Well removing the resistors changes a hardware configuration in the ECU that tells the processor that it should run in auto or manual mode.

Usually this raises the rev limit a little since autos don't rev as high as manuals... All in the the ECU would run like normal it just doesn't think it is an automatic anymore.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

I tested an ecu for a manual D16 and it seemed to me like the car was pulling more on reaching to the redline than before (with auto ecu). I wasn't to sure at first that what i felt was more pulling, the difference is very slight, so i didn't buy it, the price seemed a bit high too, $100, but it's very hard to find ecu's to work, i searched everywhere. I just might go back for it though bcuz i'm a newbie and prefer not too mess with my ecu.
auto to manual swap, ACT Street and Strip clutch
Tein S-Tech drop springs w/stock dampers
15" Konig Holes, 205/50/15 Falken Ziex 326

Chipped P29 Tuned with CROME
'92 HatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in