flex-fuel e85 ethonal - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default flex-fuel e85 ethonal

my 01 s10 has the same 2.2L motor that chevy has been puting in the s10 since the 80s. However my truck is equiped with flex-fuel and can run off of either gasoline, or E85(ethonal) made from corn. Wouldnt the d-series engine be able to run off e85 if tunned correctly?
DontSaveHer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

Good question .....I guess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 88ED3

whoa.....ask NASA, lol.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
does not care about post count
88ED3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ED3
whoa.....ask NASA, lol.
You fool.The older s10s arent flex fuel and cant run off enthonal but its the exact same engine as the newer ones. The only differenc is the computer and fuel injection. I think the flex fuel truck has a stronger fuel pump, and a fuel sensor. Maby e85 takes a little more fuel pressure . It take 1.4 gallons of e85 to make the same power as 1 gallon of gas but its only $1.00 a gallon and is made from corn. You know they are predicting running out of oil in 60 years. Alot of cars will be hybrid electronic or hydrogren/water powered in 40 years. I would rather convert my civic to run 80% ethonal or something. Its half the price of gasoline, renewable unlike oil, and has lower emmissions. I hope i didnt use to many big words.

Last edited by DontSaveHer; 02-14-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontSaveHer
You fool.The older s10s arent flex fuel and cant run off enthonal but its the same engine as the newer ones. I think it takes a little more fuel pressure or something. It take 1.4gallons or e85 to make the same power as 1gallon of gas but its only $1.00 a gallon and is made from corn. You know they are predicting running out of oil in 60 years. Alot of cars will be hybrid electronic or hydrogren/water powered in 40 years. I would rather convert my civic to run 80% ethonal or something.
whoa, easy killer. i was jfwy man. i didnt mean it the way it came out. i see it now, and apologize.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep

Last edited by 88ED3; 02-14-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

none the less, great concept and question. its beyond me.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
Old 02-14-2006, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Its cool, im a smart ass. UPDATE: E85, is a gasoline/ethanol blend that's 85 percent ethanol .

While it's theoretically possible to convert incompatible cars to run on E85, the EPA has made conversion illegal. I wonder how much Big Oil companys had to pay to make that happen?

This is clearly a case of the government talking out of both sides of its mouth. Auto manufacturers get credits for making a certain percentage of its vehicles E85 compatible(Chevy with 1.5million), but the end result of these incentives has been the production of ever-larger trucks. So if your name happens to be Ford or GMC or Chrysler, you can use E85 as a loophole. If you're a consumer looking to save a couple of bucks and/or support the farmer a few miles away and/or cut down on the amount of smog you produce during your commute to work, you can't use it.

Another nice thing about E85 is that it does a nice job of cleaning out your fuel system

Last edited by DontSaveHer; 02-14-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

since the Honda you are talking about is forced induction...NO

E85 ethanol is 85 octane, you need 92 for your car to work correctly.

now if only "Big Oil Bush" was out of office so that this E85 could spread across the country so that we all could benefit from lower cost fuel, and cleaner emmisions...

there is the 15% Ethanol fuel available in the midwest though that is cheaper, and cleaner burning that comes in 92 octane though

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 SOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHCpower

Uhh correction on e85 being 85 octane. the 85 in e85 means 85% Ethanol. it is a higher than 85 octane. as for tuning. it requires a more rich air fuel ratio compared to gasoline. that is because the alcohol has the extra oh Molecule added to the carbon links
SOHCpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCpower
Uhh correction on e85 being 85 octane. the 85 in e85 means 85% Ethanol. it is a higher than 85 octane. as for tuning. it requires a more rich air fuel ratio compared to gasoline. that is because the alcohol has the extra oh Molecule added to the carbon links
oh, i know what the 85 in E85 means, lol. but i remember when i was in the midwest the ethanol blend being 85 octane, but it could be different with the E85

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

Old 02-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

yea any car can run of Ethanol all it is is a differnt form of alcohol so yea a d-series motor can run off of it
91crxd15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

I just saw a BP commercial i think, whereas they advertised e85; they specifically said its 85% ethanol and is better for the environment. If it's going to make more power than regular gasoline or if i'm able to switch between the two(maybe have another ECU specifically for e85 and a seperate gas tank for it); than I will convert it. Fuck EPA; my car only gets safety inspection
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 samuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropes
Send a message via AIM to samuraiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2e2vin
I just saw a BP commercial i think, whereas they advertised e85; they specifically said its 85% ethanol and is better for the environment. If it's going to make more power than regular gasoline or if i'm able to switch between the two(maybe have another ECU specifically for e85 and a seperate gas tank for it); than I will convert it. Fuck EPA; my car only gets safety inspection
That'd be sweet, i'd go for that, but i'm broke and I dont' wanna be the one to experiment with it, i don't have an expendable engine
samuraiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 SOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHCpower

hmm, well from wat i read/hear, alcohol in pure form is a higher octane then premium gas, so if using 87 regular gas how could it bring it below that?... but yes with minor mods the car can run it. becuase in the summer time i plan on converting to run almost pure. but i plan to put it on a dyno so itl run the correct AF for it. some people say it runs cooler, some say it runs hotter then gas, thats the part im not sure... maybe they think it runs hotter is cause it running lean then?
SOHCpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCpower
hmm, well from wat i read/hear, alcohol in pure form is a higher octane then premium gas, so if using 87 regular gas how could it bring it below that?... but yes with minor mods the car can run it. becuase in the summer time i plan on converting to run almost pure. but i plan to put it on a dyno so itl run the correct AF for it. some people say it runs cooler, some say it runs hotter then gas, thats the part im not sure... maybe they think it runs hotter is cause it running lean then?
ethanol isnt alcohol

I have two extra engines laying around(both D15B2s); I might just socket one of the ECUs and experiment with e85(if it's cheap of course; if its not, than thatll be awhile). I just need something to put the motor in though(go kart maybe? )

Old 02-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Quote:
ethanol isnt alcohol
wrong! http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0858037.html

Quote:
Properties

Ethanol is a monohydric primary alcohol. It melts at -117.3°C and boils at 78.5°C. It is miscible (i.e., mixes without separation) with water in all proportions and is separated from water only with difficulty; ethanol that is completely free of water is called absolute ethanol. Ethanol forms a constant-boiling mixture, or azeotrope, with water that contains 95% ethanol and 5% water and that boils at 78.15°C; since the boiling point of this binary azeotrope is below that of pure ethanol, absolute ethanol cannot be obtained by simple distillation. However, if benzene is added to 95% ethanol, a ternary azeotrope of benzene, ethanol, and water, with boiling point 64.9°C, can form; since the proportion of water to ethanol in this azeotrope is greater than that in 95% ethanol, the water can be removed from 95% ethanol by adding benzene and distilling off this azeotrope. Because small amounts of benzene may remain, absolute ethanol prepared by this process is poisonous.
Ethanol burns in air with a blue flame, forming carbon dioxide and water. It reacts with active metals to form the metal ethoxide and hydrogen, e.g., with sodium it forms sodium ethoxide. It reacts with certain acids to form esters, e.g., with acetic acid it forms ethyl acetate. It can be oxidized to form acetic acid and acetaldehyde. It can be dehydrated to form diethyl ether or, at higher temperatures, ethylene.
more info:
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0817769.html
http://www.uyseg.org/greener_industr...hanol2Uses.htm
http://westernplainsenergy.biz/ethanol.html
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr...hols/uses.html

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

Old 02-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Dope. I was thinking about methanol.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ethonal needing a richer fuel mixture sounds correct. The flexfuled s10s have a stronger fuel pump, and a sensor to detect the ethonal in the fuel system and change the FuelInjection setings to get the correct air/fuel ratio. It takes 1.4 gallons of e85 to produce the same power as 1 gallon of gas so it must take more fuel pressure or keeping the injectors open longer to get the correct airfuel ratio. Its doesnt get as many miles to the gallon but its 1 dallor instead of 2 a gallon so you still get more miles out of your money.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 95 R-81 Cx is almost a somebody95 R-81 Cx is almost a somebody95 R-81 Cx is almost a somebody95 R-81 Cx is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I wish my chem class was like this I'd prob pay more attention. And yeah anything with hydrocarbon compound with ol at the end has a hydrogen bond and a form of alcohol. Ethanol CH3-CH2-OH.... I'm gonna see if I can get any info about the ethanol needing a higher fuel pressure and maintaining A/F ratios.
95 R-81 Cx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
I just need something to put the motor in though(go kart maybe? )
build a dune buggy!
drunknEK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in