dependability - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default dependability

can a d16y7 have 300whp without nos and still be a dependable every day driver.
CivicWar79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Black Dynamite

Rep Power: 23 Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Clutchmaster

I'm leaning towards........................................... .................no
Clutchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

not stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2006, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

so are you saying that you cant get 300 whp out of a d16y7 or if you had that much whp in a d16y7 it wouldn't be a dependable car. thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

the engine would probably break a rod at that power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

in order to hold that kinda power you need to build the block and head up...and by this i mean sleeved block, built head (valves, springs, cams, etc...)not to mention great cooling ability (probably a better radiator)...and of course an oil cooler never hurt anything...more or less you would be building an endurance racing motor to hold that kinda power and be reliable...

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

i realize that you have to build the whole engine up but i was just wondering with all the work done to get up to 300whp could it stilll be a everyday driver and you did answer that question so thanks i do have one more question tho do a d16y7 block come with sleeves in the piston walls and if so do they need polishing or milled or or what. thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

aftermarket sleeves would be a must

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx
aftermarket sleeves would be a must...
to be completely reliable...
Old 02-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC_Rules
to be completely reliable...
exactly, he was asking about a DD thats 300hp...stock sleeves will not last long everyday driving at the hp level

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

Old 02-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 95 R-81 Cx is almost a somebody95 R-81 Cx is almost a somebody95 R-81 Cx is almost a somebody95 R-81 Cx is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

yes, it could but it would involve a hefty amount of $$$$$$$$$
95 R-81 Cx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

How long it lasts will also depend on your tune and how much you beat on it daily. Also, sleeves/rods/pistions will be needed for sure, probably some head work as well as everyone else has mentioned.

www.exospeed.com <-- sleeved/forged bottom ends and shortblocks, cams, etc.

Edelbrock turbo'd y7/y8 Mini-me @ 9psi

!
SpoolinSingleCam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

thanks for the replys. what ive gathered from the replys is that my stock engine has sleeves? and they can be replaced? i realize that im going to have to replace my pistons my rods complete head job and everything else.dose anyone know if you can buy short block meaning the block is allready built up with pistons and all for d series. thanks

Check this out just thought it up SOHC

S= Slamming
O= Overpowered
H= Honda
C= Creations
Old 02-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

not trying to hate but from your last reply i dont think you should be building a 300 hp car
search around and read up on some things first, you can learn alot

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Black Dynamite

Rep Power: 23 Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Clutchmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb34
not trying to hate but from your last reply i dont think you should be building a 300 hp car
search around and read up on some things first, you can learn alot

wow reading the last post of his.........you right educated yourself
Clutchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2006, 05:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

sleeves are what the pistons sits in, more or less you can consider sleeves beingthe cylinders...getting after market sleeves will completely replace the stockers with a more beefier and stonger sleeve built spacifically for high HP numbers (and with these motors, that means boost)...

and not trying to knock you are anything, but i also do recommend doing some research on these items...start by figuring out what each part of the motor is and what it is for, figure out how the crank works, how the main bearings work, the cylinders (or sleeves) work, how the cooling system works, how oil gets everywhere and where exactly it goes, how the head works, how the oil flows throughout the head and the rocker arm assembly, study the engine bay and the setup, study how the brakes lines are ran, the electrical wires are ran, how the sensors work together in harmony, learn what the ecu does exactly and what is done by mechanics (meaning figure out what is electrical and what is mechanical, this is important for tuning)...learn EVERYTHING about the motor and its surroundings before trying to build a monster of a motor, this will give you the knowledge needed to properly and successfully build up your motor the way YOU want it to be built, for example i've been studying for the two-three years, and have JUST now figured out what to do, i'm going to build 200+ HP d16y8, but it needs to be daily driven and be able to last many years and long trips with over 100,000 miles put on it...so i will need to sleeve the block, build up the head, and get a good tune, but on top of all this because i'll be using a super charger on top of high compression (hopefully some where around 11:1, maybe a bit less), i'll be needing good oil (mobil one), and i'll need to do a tune up every year, and of course rebuild the super charger every so often, this will almost guarantee me what i want, but remember this took me several years to make this choice and learn enough about the motors to create this bahemouth of a car that i want...

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Pinks car had stock sleeves and 460 whp
91HB-D15b2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2006, 09:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91HB-D15b2
Pinks car had stock sleeves and 460 whp
you said dependable, not race only. stock sleeves wouldnt last more than a few times down the track at that hp level

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Lightbulb

ok i have some exp. in engine but its old shool exp my father has been a mech. for years on the side. but he only knows old cars. like me and him are rebuilding a 67 olds 442 w30. Ive helped him rebuild engines when i was younger when i got older i worked in a family owened body shop 4 about 5 to 6 years. We used to buy salvaged cars and rebuild them so i got some exp. in engine pulling and have done some lite mech work so im not totaly in the dark about cars but the light isnt that birght when it comes to building custom engines. i agree when people say i need to do research first. the hardest part for me is going to figure out what works well with what and then add a turbo to the equation.I guess toinght im going to go by the book store and buy a book on building honda engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in