what do u think - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
hadley

Default what do u think

i'm thinking of picking up a APEXI,VAFC, VTEC CONTROLLER for my

2000 civic d16y8
crower stage 2 cam
springs & retaners
aem cam gear
iceman cai
greddy evo 2 full catback
dc sport 4-2-1 header
aem tru pulley
exedy racing clutch
full msd ignition system
nology hotwires

can i get some input on this good investment or a waste of $$$$
thanks mark
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2006, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Going OBD-1 and getting HONData/Uberdata/NEPTune/etc etc...would be better but the VAFC is fine.
DirtyDC4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

what do you do in the 1/4 mile?
91sivtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 88ED3

just get your ecu tuned, unless you like the flashy looks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
does not care about post count
88ED3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
hadley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91sivtec
what do you do in the 1/4 mile?
just got the cam and springs , not installed yet will post times and pixs in april i hope. my cars in storage.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

the vafc will help out, but since you can convert to a obdI ecu and chip it, that would be best...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
D16Z6TURBO

I have one for sale which is why I hate myself for this next comment LOL

No I personally do not reccomend you get a VAFC. My reasoning behind this aftermarket cam, I have seen them actually hurt guys with cams. The other unfortunate thing about the VAFC is the only way to know if it will help is dyno your car the way it sits now if there is a huge spike when VTEC engages then you will benefit from adjusting it down some. If not you can only hurt yourself. The VTEC system can be very beneficial at the right setting tuning it too low can hurt your power curve quite a bit. On the other hand when I had it on my Z6 at 44-4800 setting it was a definite improvement(Ass dyno) So if your planning on dynoing soon then make that decision once you have your dyno sheet. Post it up and we will reevaluate at that time.
Please keep in mind this is just my opinion some from personal experience and some from Cartechs line of Honda building books LOL
Old 01-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
snackz

i would think the vafc would be better than chippin it, but thats only cause a couple of people here told me that chipping the ECU doesnt do as much good as the supposedly to. but then again i woulnt want to mess with my v-tec (like he said) without a dyno, especially with a cam.
but why is chippin it better than the vafc?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough

vafc is jsut a band aid, tunning will involve a dyno (in most cases) and you can totally see whats going. plus its a one time thing. thats just my opinion though.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
Old 01-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

the big thing with the vafc is that it can adjust the vtec engagement and adjust the fuel curves (minimal adjustments), and it can do this without physically messing around with the ECU...chipping the ecu however, will give you accurate real settings and allow you to physically adjust the actual fuel maps and timing curves, but that generally is only needed with seriuos n/a upgrades (such as itb, and stage 3 cams), otherwise chipping the ecu is used more for forced induction upgrades...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 01-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackz
but why is chippin it better than the vafc?
Because you can do everything a VAFC can do and a whole lot more. And you wouldn't be doing it by confusing the MAP.

All the VAFC does is trick the MAP into doing what it wants.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDEF
Because you can do everything a VAFC can do and a whole lot more. And you wouldn't be doing it by confusing the MAP.

All the VAFC does is trick the MAP into doing what it wants.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
Old 01-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
hadley

thanks for all the input , any of the chips on ebay worth it ,if not where should i look . and what should i expect to pay .
Old 01-25-2006, 05:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
hadley

the thing is i have no problem with the mechanics of the car but when it comes to the electrical side of it I'm a little lost.
i was thinking i may have a problem with my idle with this cam so i thought VAFC or chip-it but maybe.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ED3
just get your ecu tuned, unless you like the flashy looks.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

it really depends on what you want really...are you wanting to go all out and get it well tuned, or will you be happy with just a basic tune?

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

eBay is eBay. I FUCKING LOVE IT!!! iorder shit from them all the time with no probs. jjust remember, if its too good to be true, prolly is. Im a Skunk fan, perfonally id get the S2 ecu. not sure if its what your looking for, but i think it is. im wrong a lot, so ill just have someone correct my post if im wrong.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
Old 01-25-2006, 10:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'd never use an EBay chip on a D motor, but that's just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in