totally clueless - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2006, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to redex04
Default totally clueless

i have an 04 ex coupe and was wondering what kind of ECU i have, and all the OBDI and OBDII i dont fully understand all of that, and what would my ECU be considered? could any one help me with this info or just point me in a place i could? thanks for any help/advice.

Drew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04 Civic EX coupe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^civicsi94 thanks for hooking it up
redex04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

you have an OBDIIb...the ecu in your civic is the second version of the obdII ecu, and cannot be converted to anything else...here are the pros and cons of this ecu
pros:
is a self adjusting/"learning" ecu, meaning after you add any modification the ecu will automatically adjust the fuel and timing as needed as long as the modification will allow the sensor to stay within specifications (and no the ecu will not adjust for boost)...so upgrading exhuast, intakes, cams, head work, most n/a modifications will be tuned to a point by the ecu, however the ecu can only do so much, so if you decide to go all out and put in a stage 3 cam, do major head rework, high compression, the ecu will not adjust for that and you will need to do either a complete stand alone system that works with the obdIIb systems, or you might get away with a piggyback (such as a vafcII) depending on upgrades...

cons - cannot be chipped (or not that i know of), needs to be replaced if to many upgrades are done, and piggybacks are limited, meaning you only get a limited selection of piggybacks to choose from, at the moment the only one that i know of is the vafcII...also you will loose some tuning ability due to the lack of the distributor, all electric timing is controlled by the ecu, not by a distributor...as for stand alones, i know that the aem ems will work, but it runs over 1000 dollars to purchase, and that does not include the laptop/computer needed to tune the system...

hope this answers your questions...

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

just one more stupid question, doese my ECU have a number or anything like that. i know there is a P28 and stuff like that. srry if thses seem dumb, but i am just trying to learn about my car and my knowledge is pretty limited. so i really do appreciate everyones help with any of my questions.

Drew

04 Civic EX coupe

Last edited by redex04; 01-19-2006 at 09:14 AM.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

since my ECU can't be chipped, can it be change out to one that i can chip/ modify? i can which one can i change it to, and how difficult would this be? thanks for any help

Drew

04 Civic EX coupe

Old 01-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

berettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by redex04
since my ECU can't be chipped, can it be change out to one that i can chip/ modify? i can which one can i change it to, and how difficult would this be? thanks for any help

Drew
Notta, you can only put a Rsx or SI ecu in there, that is if you are running that motor, those are the only ones that can be modified to this day for new gens! sorry man buy they really messed up when they came out w/ d17 and its components..
berettagtz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettagtz117
sorry man buy they really messed up when they came out w/ d17 and its components..
Yeah, it's the new ugly stepchild of the D-Series. The DOHC ZC/D16A1 are just twin-cam D's now.
DirtyDC4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in