Z6 head with p2p obd2b ecu ! NEED HELP ! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2006, 05:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Curious George

Rep Power: 18 Belette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Default Z6 head with p2p obd2b ecu ! NEED HELP !

I got Z6 head and '99 obd2b p2p ECU. I will run (if it's possible) this setup with:

- y8 IM/TB/IACV/injectors
- '99 y7 harness
- I have only from Z6 head & Vtec selenoid (cam,cam gear, rocker arm every mecanic I need).

I know how to hook up vtec selenoid and new 2 wires IACV conversion, BUT
I see many y8 head with z6 ecu, but not yet z6 head with y8 ecu.

For Knock sensor, vtec pressure switch; Z6 head doesn't have vtec pressure switch... For the fuel pressure tank sensor ? Does my '99 LX have one ? Does it have something else that I should know about sensor and wiring with those ecu/harness and head ?

Do I will fuck with everything mentionned ? or let it like that ? Or I must bypass it ? Or install new coponents ?

I can't see clearly with wiring and What I should do ... please help me

thank you

Setup in building:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Video of my old setup:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awesome Photography Thread:

Last edited by Belette; 01-15-2006 at 05:27 AM.
Belette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I dont see many people use OBD2, its more OBD1 and converting from 2 to 1, not 1 to 2.
slowcivic2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

pressure switch, I would research into what voltage it needs (prolly 12V) and go ahead and wire it up as if the curcuit was completed... although the reason that they put them on the new blocks is because the d16y* blocks don't have the same amount of oil pressure that the d16z* motors had... but you should be fine..
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I run a p2p in my 99 dx with a full y8. As far as i know, there is no easy fix for the tank pressure sensor. There was some kind of Katman write-up a while back but I don't have the link. I think you can probably short the oil pressure switch wires together to complete the circuit for the sensor. If you don't find a way to fix that, you will have no vtec.
ONECAMWONDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Curious George

Rep Power: 18 Belette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatness

I'm not swapping obd1 to obd2 !!! My '99 car is already obd2b, I just swap Y7 ecu for Y8 obd2b ecu. Some things to fix, but I bought a complete z6 head for really cheap...

I just realized that p2p has vtec pressure sensor, and z6 head don't... I need to fix it if I don'T want to make obd1 conversion and stay with my y8 stock, or swap z6 head for y8... both needs $$$ $$$....

But if the p2p ecu is the same year as my y7 P2e, so does my car have tank pressure sensor ?

I'll try to find what is the sensor voltage when pressure is ok ! and make like ONECAMWONDER said, complete the circuit for the sensor...

Thank you !!

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Old 01-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Curious George

I read somewhere in this web site:

''Ground out the pin on the ECU to disable... when the oil pressure is sufficient, the pressure switch shorts to ground.''

Not so bad

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Old 01-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 bigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Borat

Z6 head+Y8 ECU=DOG slow.

You will need to swap to OBD1 and use a P28 ECU or get a Y8 head. Either or.
bigwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2006, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Curious George

Why ?

it almost the same thing ??? port on z6 are taller, and work like y8 work... I just want to keep y8 ecu and fix some small sensor and wiring troubles...

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Old 01-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 bigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Borat

Y7/Y8 heads are COMPLETELY different from Z6 heads. Y7/Y8's use an entirely different ignition map. Its DRAMATICALLY different. With a P2P ECU on a Z6 head you will be running like 18* at WOT when a normal P28 ECU runs something like 26*. It will idle like garbage because P2P ECU will want to idle at 12*....Its a whole big thing. Do what you want, but i bet when this project is finished you will post saying "Why is my car driving like shit?"
Old 01-17-2006, 02:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Curious George

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwig
Y7/Y8 heads are COMPLETELY different from Z6 heads. Y7/Y8's use an entirely different ignition map. Its DRAMATICALLY different. With a P2P ECU on a Z6 head you will be running like 18* at WOT when a normal P28 ECU runs something like 26*. It will idle like garbage because P2P ECU will want to idle at 12*....Its a whole big thing. Do what you want, but i bet when this project is finished you will post saying "Why is my car driving like shit?"
Y8 head with p2p ecu will run like shit too ?!? Port and combustion chamber are little bit differents, but tell my why p2p will idle like shit at 12 and and wot @ 18 and run like shit while every obd2b EX or canadian SI running with it ? My y7 have this kind of ignition basemap, and combustion chambers are the SAME as z6, 34cc CB and same shape and my car run well.

You can adjust timing manually with dizzy and jumping plugs to read cel.

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Old 01-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'll try to explain this one more time....

D16y8 uses a P2P ECU. The D16y8 head is dramatically different than most other honda heads. It has a different shaped combustion chamber. This means the ignition timing for the D16y8 is dramatically different than other honda engines. D16y8's idle at 12*BTDC and at WOT they are only running like 17* timing.

A D16z6 uses a P28 ECU. The D16z6 head is very similiar to most other heads honda produced so its ignition curve is very similiar. At idle a D16z6 runs 16* BTDC and at WOT about 27*.

If you use a D16z6 head with a P2P ECU you will be running the ignition timing for a D16y8 head on a D16z6 head. This means an engine that would normally want to have about 27* of timing at WOT will now have about 17* of timing. It will cause the car to run poorly and not well.

The solution: Use a P28 ECU with your engine setup or use a D16y8 head.

I cannot be ANY clearer. If you dont understand what I'm saying, then dont do the modification.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Curious George

I understand what you said ! But if compression ratio is higher, means timing is not agressive, maybe it's should be good if I raise compression ratio near 10:1/10.5:1 with this ecu without knocking..... I'll try it with higher CR or I'll replace it if runs really bad... for y8 head or p28 conversion (would be cheaper to get y8 head here)

But one thing I said that you don't mind, Stock p2p ecu want to run 12 at idle and 17 wot, but You CAN advance timing manually (with dizzy and jumping blue 2 wires plug near ECU). Ecu will think 12 and 17 but if you set it @ 16 and wot should be near 22-23 maybe more .... Not so bad....

Someone else agreed with BigWig or have everseen p2p and p28 stock ignition map ??

thank you

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Old 01-18-2006, 05:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano

But I don't think that you can advance it that far... and plus, the entire RPM range the curve is differant..... not just wide open, but part throttle, too.

Also, I *THINK* that the dizzy has a sensor that tells the ecu what the timing is set at...
Old 01-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Curious George

Maybe ! but I read many time if you advance only dizzy, ecu will try ti set back to stock basemap, you need to jump diag blue plug near ecu while engine is warm and you advance dizzy there, to 'tweak' the ecu that is 12 degrees start (when it's 16) and advance 6-7 degrees in some point and wot...

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Old 01-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Swapping heads between 5th and 6th gen is just a bad idea. Find a Y8 head, you will be much happier.
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Default ignition

d16y8 and d16y7 timing is 16 degrees btdc

just put a y8 head on my y7 block and runs excellent

joe griffin
nova scotia,canada
97civichb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

No, D16y8 and D16y7's timing at idle is 12 BTDC. Refer to your helms manual.

As for manually advancing the timing, I'm going to bet the ECU will constantly try to correct the timing and cause all sorts of havoc.

You're Z6 head is worth more than a Y8 head. You should be able to sell the Z6 head for a few hundred bucks and pick up a Y8 head without pulling a dollar out of your own pocket. Just get a Y8 head. That or convert to OBD1. If you continue with the swap as is, I think you are going to run into issues. Do what you want, but you've been thoroughly warned.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Curious George

yeah !!! thank you !! I'll try to find y8 head... Or I'll wait until I'll find p28 ecu, because I got no cat and p28 run one o2 sensor... it will be easier too for that point..

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Old 01-19-2006, 02:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Curious George

But One thing I want to know, how these too head make around the same power and tq ???? and one of them has ignition about 10degrees more advance than the other ??

thank you

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Old 01-19-2006, 05:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

Because of the differance in head design... just like the 01-05 EX's.... they have VTEC-e, but still have 127 HP. The z6 head has a tumble port valve design, meaning that the air goes straight in and is built more for high rpm. The y8 head has a swirl port head design that promotes fuel economy and more low end torque. The z6 needed that much timing in order to get the same torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in