how do you.... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default how do you....

you guys talk alot about retarding cam but.. i have no idea what retarding cam is? how do you guys retard cam? sorry for sounding like a noob but i search and found nothing..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jherbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 juice91si is starting to learn the ropesjuice91si is starting to learn the ropesjuice91si is starting to learn the ropesjuice91si is starting to learn the ropesjuice91si is starting to learn the ropesjuice91si is starting to learn the ropes

an adjustable cam gear will allow one to either advance the cam timing, or retard it, which shifts the powerband.

"what more can i say, i wouldnt be here today, if the oldskool didnt pave the way"

got rep?
<----------------------
juice91si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 gloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice91si
an adjustable cam gear will allow one to either advance the cam timing, or retard it, which shifts the powerband.
*Exactly what he said , and as you retard your cam timing it normally shifts the powerband to the high rpm range, and when you advance your cam timing it shifts it the other way to the low rpm range!!!!
gloryhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2006, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

then how do you explain turning the distributor? what are the effects of it when you turn it away from you and towards you. i was alway thinking that retarding the cam was turning the distributor. i guess i was wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

some of my friends said that turning the distributor away from you can give you some extra power? to me it sounds fishy but is that true?

Old 01-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series WTF?!?!

Rep Power: 21 MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano
MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MiloReaper87 Send a message via Yahoo to MiloReaper87

there two types of timing well the general ones, the Dizzy side and the Belted side.
to retarded the time is basically like a negative and plus meter of some sore negative i should say is retarding the time and plus is advancing the time
- Retarding Advancing +
\
\
\
\
\
Check my photography

CAUTION: Remoer and myself may
on a verbal war
MiloReaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hondaphile

Rep Power: 17 ottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ottomaticjack Send a message via MSN to ottomaticjack Send a message via Yahoo to ottomaticjack

^^^He's more or less right. The "dizzy side" would be ignition timing, this refers to advancing or retarding your spark event, the "belt side" would mean using an adjustable cam gear to change the reference point of the camshaft to the crank shaft (ie: advancing or retarding).

Good sellers and stuff....NastyhabitzCRX, Icarusdown, Infamousz6, fast88, drew95eg, cuong-nutz, Sonny7730

"We have a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she ordered the lobster...."
ottomaticjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 G-rat will become famous soon enoughG-rat will become famous soon enoughG-rat will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to G-rat

just make sure u have a timing gun when u do the distributor

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
G-rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

kool kool. alright. i get it. thanks for the info guys. much help.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

So how do you know how many degrees it is with the dizzy? Im going turbo this spring or summer and I was going to start off with a FMU for right now at 7psi. I thought I could just turn the dizzy some to retard it and be fine. Am i wrong?
Phantom Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 gloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Civic
So how do you know how many degrees it is with the dizzy? Im going turbo this spring or summer and I was going to start off with a FMU for right now at 7psi. I thought I could just turn the dizzy some to retard it and be fine. Am i wrong?

*VERY shady way to tune your timing on a boosted engine. Get your ecu chipped and run crome,uberdata,hondata,yada,yada.As cheap as it is to do it right there is no reason to put something like the fmu on there and retard your dizzy. The FMU puts an enormous amt. of fuel press. on your injectors and often leads to overworking them.I have been that route and will never do it again.....
Old 01-15-2006, 05:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

I know that but for for right now Im only gonna be running 7psi and I will probably eventually switch. But at that psi could I just push the dizzy back some and be safe for a while?
Phantom Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
whatthehell1051

/\ yea maybe but thats what my friend did at 6 psi and now he doesn't have a working engine anymore.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Civic
I know that but for for right now Im only gonna be running 7psi and I will probably eventually switch. But at that psi could I just push the dizzy back some and be safe for a while?
*People did this back in the day when there was no hondata,standalone's, etc..
and yes it can work , but what Im saying is if you like having a car to drive everyday thats reliable and everytime you want to jump on the gas your not worried about the engine eating itself up , dont put an fmu on there for engine mgmt. I know it's so easy to just bolt it up and its cheap, but thats exactly what your getting ......
FMU= Motor going to visit:jesus:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in