I Want Better Mileage!!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Ľ Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 XxHON[n00b]DAxX is learning the way of the DXxHON[n00b]DAxX is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default I Want Better Mileage!!!

I already get like 41 highway, but is there a way I can run the D15 on 2 cylinders to get even better mileage, and will the engine kill itself if I experiment with unplugging injectors and stuff?

I theorize that if I compression-check the engine and run the 2 cylinders with the highest compression and unhook the injectors and ignition wires on the 2 with the lowest compression, or, say, unhook 2 and 3, leaving 1 and 4 to do the work (torque on both ends of the crank in opposite phase?)

A: will it even move?
and
B: would it theoretically get like 70 mpg? I only drive the thing on the turnpike and I refuse to speed, so it only needs to go 65 mph.

just pondering the thought, what with the sustained 2.45/gallon+ gas, and my meager $140.00 a week paychecks.

thoughts?
XxHON[n00b]DAxX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Black Dynamite

Rep Power: 23 Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Clutchmaster

wow you put alot of thought into this kinda how GM and Chrysler are doing on there V8's cutting to cyl on cruise and reactivating them when you need the Hp
Clutchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 XxHON[n00b]DAxX is learning the way of the DXxHON[n00b]DAxX is learning the way of the D

yeah, but I just wanna disconnect 2 cylinders indefinitely.

750cc/45-50HP is enough to get the car going down the road, but I really just want to know if it'll work without eating itself in the process.

I need any advantage I can get. gas is expensive, even for a civic driver.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Synth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

The main issue is that over time cylinder bores will end up different. With the whole GM, and Chrysler thing, is that they have the crazy technology to do a check and balance of what cylinders are getting used the most, and then balancing it out, by not using them. VAFC and wideband, or get a geo with a four speed.
Plus, my issue with your theory with only running the two strongest, is that there still won't be enough power, I think. There will be a drag on the rotation now. Instead of two cylinders working to help balance out the equation, they are now setting the equation towards a deficit. Iím not saying it couldnít work, but you have some good mileage.
Synth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 grayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

You still have the rotating mass of the other two cylinders to overcome. However that isn't the worst of it.. You are still opening and closing the valves to those cylinders and compressing air. That alone would stall the engine. Cadillac tried to do that back in the eighty's, I think there was some kind of crazy computer controlled solenoids that turned the valves open or something. Put it this way, if the engineers at GM gave up on the idea, do you think you have a chance of making it work? You would be better off putting a HF engine/tranny in your car.
grayzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 kc8enb05 is learning the way of the Dkc8enb05 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kc8enb05 Send a message via MSN to kc8enb05 Send a message via Yahoo to kc8enb05

i believe the new hemis in the chargers have some system that shuts off cyls for mileage... as so i was told by the salemen
kc8enb05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 02:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough

why....itll just shake itself to peices, and i doubt you have the technology to do so...41mpg is great...and also, if you "plan" on running it off 1 and 4...it wont even run because they both are at TDC at the same time

Last edited by 91HB-D15b2; 01-11-2006 at 02:41 AM.
91HB-D15b2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 02:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....

keep it as it is, just keep up the services, nice clean oil, new filters as well as proper tune-ups........................

41mpg is great........
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 04:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 X292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to X292J

i belive another site *cough*(sohchonda.com)*cough* was into planning a D-series hybrid if your interested, they had some really good support info to back it up on it being a poject that would be possible to do, you might wanna check it out -but from my research it would be around the same price as a really good DIY turbo kit, spend money to save$ is wat it is and it seems to me unless you kno some one w/ hook ups on this it going to cost some $
i havent been back there in awhile jus for refrace, so i dont know the status of the project so far...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
X292J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hello people. I just got myself a 93 civic VX hatch with a D15Z1 (all stock), and i want to tune it to get better mpg. In my defense... some people like speed. Other like to save money and the environment, and i'm one of them. Luckily, eighter way, our cars are LEV. compared to american v8's. That and i think civics are kick-ass cars.

All i can say to you is there are many kinds of tuners out there that have their own ideas. N/A, turbo, N02, just show, but we are the few that tune for better gas milage and all i can say is research research research. Don't let poeple that talk shit and say "you're a faggot" or "you don't deserve a Honda" break your spirit. It's your car! You're not alone on this one. Any kind of tuning cost money, so don't be afraid to test things out.
Pyramid_Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2006, 02:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

which D15 and what tranny?

B7 will always get the better mileage above 50 mph.

53 mpg @ 65-70 mph.........from a 102 hp stock motor making 145 crank hp.......

+40% hp
+50% mpg highway

all tuning and simple bolton parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2006, 05:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

I think mine's a B7, but I'm not positive... I haven't had to open my hood in a while.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

what if you just used a HF ecu? would that have lower fuel and spark maps for better fuel mileage? just a thought you could just switch ecus for power or gas mileage.
strongHF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 11:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

berettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

AFC could help you out a bit.. I woulnd shit 2 cylinders down though..
berettagtz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 11:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
which D15 and what tranny?

B7 will always get the better mileage above 50 mph.

53 mpg @ 65-70 mph.........from a 102 hp stock motor making 145 crank hp.......

+40% hp
+50% mpg highway

all tuning and simple bolton parts
53mpg? If there was a bowing smiley, I'd use it right about now.

(Makes note to pester transzex about the mods after new engine swap is complete )

All I did for my mileage increases thus far was to change the oil I use and my driving tendencies. But, I'm always looking for new ways to increase my mileage (besides, why am I going to spend 20k or more for a Hybrid - even if it is a Civic?) when I can simply spend about a quarter of that and get about the same mpg (and better 0-60 times to boot).
Trans: USDM L4 4Spd AT, Stock Gearing Retained
Top Speed: 105mph, ECU Speed Limiter Enabled/Confirmed
EPA: 31mpg city, 45mpg highway, 26mpg @ 85mph+, 50mpg maximum

Last Mod: Civic SOHC VTEC Engine/P08 ECU Rewired
Current Mod: 91 Civic LX Cluster (Auto Cluster w/ Tachometer) Added
Next Mod: 91 Civic EX or 92/93 Integra Rear Disc Conversion
Untuned_SH4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

stock Honda maps leave out ALOT of timing in the 2400-4000 rpm range.

WAY to safe......like Blundar of PGMFI.org (who wrote the chip) stated.......

".......tuned by lawyers........"

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

bolt in the HF tranny...REALLLLYYYYYY long gears...

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 B20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

For better gas mileage, get and adjustable cam gear and advance your cam timing. Tune your car to run between 15-15.5:1 air/fuel ratio (not at wot lol)with the proper ignition map. Change your driving style. Wash-wax your car. Proper pressure in all your tires. CX tranny?
B20BbenN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 06:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough

or walk
91HB-D15b2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2006, 11:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom_junky
bolt in the HF tranny...REALLLLYYYYYY long gears...
Long gears are not needed, matter of fact the engine needs to rev a bit.

2800-3000 cruising rpm is perfect, when tuned correctly.

This allows the engine to make ample torque so it does bog down at every little hill.

CX tranny in 4th gear is perfect, then you have the 5th if you can catch a 18 wheeler @80 mph and draft off him.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in