DOHC ZC: distributor full advance, still retarded. lwtf? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Question DOHC ZC: distributor full advance, still retarded. lwtf?

you get nothing!

Last edited by icarusdown; 04-08-2009 at 08:42 PM.
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

It has to be your ignition cam timing... I've never heard of ignition timing being off like that from any other way.

What marks did you use to line it up?
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness

you get nothing!

Old 01-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusdown
I used the inside marks on the cam gears to line them up together (and the pin holes through the cam caps and camshafts under the valve cover appear to line up perfectly as well.) The white mark on the pulley lines up perfectly with the gunsight on the timing cover.

It seems that if I were to advance the intake cam (the one attached to the distributor) I would then only be able to either make the two marks on the cam gears line up or the TDC mark on the pulley, but not all three at the same time like it is now. :scratches head:

I'll try it though and see what happens, unless anyone else has some ideas. I've just never set the timing on a DOHC before.

-ic
Interesting. This is with the correct ECU, I assume? What is base timing?
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I had the same exact problem......

It turned out to be that the head was resurfaced so much it ended retarding the timing due to the diference in height with the timing belt........

1 easy solution is cam gears.....

another that worked well was to notch the bolt holes on the distributor out so you could turn it as far as you wanted to............

Just make sure to notch the side you have to turn it to advance it !!!!!!!!!!

if you need a drawing I will send one to you.....
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Iyou get nothing!

Old 01-13-2006, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

you get nothing!

Old 01-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusdown
I used the inside marks on the cam gears to line them up together (and the pin holes through the cam caps and camshafts under the valve cover appear to line up perfectly as well.) The white mark on the pulley lines up perfectly with the gunsight on the timing cover.
I made this mistake as well. The gunsight on the timing cover should NOT be used to set timing. on the crankshaft sprocket, there is a line on the edge of it, and there is an arrow imprinted on the block, and align the keyway completely vertical. you may have noticed that lining it up with the timing cover left the crankshaft pin rotated many degrees clockwise, the keyway should face up. I made that mistake changing my belt as well, and i couldnt get my ignition timing right at all. I'd check that again.
slowcivic2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in