Advancing the timming - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Advancing the timming

Well, i had the Thred also with the 98ex Vs the 99Dx, i figured out what was wrong and i suggest anyone willing to get more power out of there car to do the same as long as YOU DO IT RIGHt. Today i got together with my mechanic, we advanced the timmng on my civic to about 18 degrees. No knocking whatsoever. Running super Unleaded. the car feels like it picked up almost 10 whp at the wheels. Not to bad if you ask me. time to re run with my freind agian muahah. anyways, this is a fun post to either answer back to or share your experences. i would write more and probably spell check but damn iam tired. hahaha
Jcazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

10 whp from advancing the timing 2 degress........ Your butt dyno needs to be calibrated.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 05:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
10 whp from advancing the timing 2 degress........ Your butt dyno needs to be calibrated.
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2006, 06:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

berettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

Unless your car was way out of timing then there is no way you should have advanced it that much.. That only helps low end, if you want more Top end the idea is to retard the timing on Cam..
berettagtz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

guys iam exagerating. The fact of the matter is, that when i retarded the timming everything got all slow. when i advanced it everything through the entire powerband picked up insane. yet no detonation, no knocking pinging etc. i think it was off a bit, but the difference it made is purly night and day. besides, iam being sarcastic, no need to bash your supposed to talk about how "nice it is" to advance the timming on your car. ITS FREE POWER DAMIT. anyways
Old 01-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 My93Civic is learning the way of the DMy93Civic is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

well at least it made a difference for your specific need. like people have said...

advance - low end
retard - if you want high end

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My93Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2006, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano

^ for cam timing. retarded ign. timing = slow ass car.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest

wrong. he has an ek. the stock timing on d series ek's is 12btdc. so it was more like 6 degrees advance.
dragman99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by My93Civic
well at least it made a difference for your specific need. like people have said...

advance - low end
retard - if you want high end
not always the case.
dragman99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

^^ ?? I thought it was 16*
Old 01-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
whatthehell1051

/\ yea it 16 not 10
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

hehe it made a hell of a difference guys. My car seems to be eating a little more gas though. Im running 91 pre, but i guess its worth it, in all honesty, iam getting tired of this N/a shit quick and thinking of bulding my own turbo kit. The car needs to be smogged soon so i will get it legaly smogged then through on a good put together kit. Any ideas on what turbo to use??? etc... im thinking T-3 Garr turbo, ideas are welcome.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Black Dynamite

Rep Power: 23 Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Clutchmaster

were you using a an adjustible cam gear or you just jumped your timming belt one tooth
Clutchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

i moved the distibutor
Old 01-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
whatthehell1051

if you going turbo then read the stickys on the forced induction section before asking stupid question that are covered in stickys. also were not the only site for honda on the internet, honda-tech has good stickys as well for turbo applications
Old 01-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

wow didnt know asking a quick question was so univited, if it makes you that upset then dont read it. asking a quick question in a thred doesnt need to turn into a retard war
Old 01-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

Wow you guys didnt even ask for clarification; when people refer to timing it can be either the ignition timing, or cam timing. In this case, it's ignition(hence he said he moved the distributor, nothing about a cam gear).

Advancing the timing a little does help with power; but boost guys like to retard a little to help prevent detonation.

btw, my old D15B2 was stuck at around 20-22 degrees advanced timing...it didnt detonate with 93 but ran pretty crappy.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
whatthehell1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcazz
wow didnt know asking a quick question was so univited, if it makes you that upset then dont read it. asking a quick question in a thred doesnt need to turn into a retard war
opps didn't mean to say stupid. really wasn't trying to be an ass, after lookin it over it does look like i was. but everything i said besides the stupid is true
Old 01-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 G-rat will become famous soon enoughG-rat will become famous soon enoughG-rat will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to G-rat

the only problem with advancig and retarding is that it cant be certain what kind of power u are making...i mean sure advancing the timeing in theory is supposed to give u more low end but u have no idea if it keeps going up..goes up and evens out or goes up and tehn drops off....

well after having my cam timeing advanced i have decided to retard it to see if it helps in top end...jstu ahve to try different things and see what u like best

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Last edited by G-rat; 01-13-2006 at 03:44 PM.
G-rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

its ok man, well the top end pulls harder along with the complete low end as well, but it eats gas alive now. My mileage is down the drain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in