D16a6 with y8 head BUILD QUESTIONS - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hailer

Default D16a6 with y8 head BUILD QUESTIONS

I am currently putting together a D16A6 with a Y8 head and y8 manifold with lots of extras. I need some built info for you "honda gods" out there..

Have the D16A6 block sitting on my engine stand about to put the head on. I have a Y8 head gasket, Y8 Intake manifold gasket and a Y8 Valve cover gasket. This guy said i should use silicone when putting on the head gasket and valve cover gasket.. is this true? SILICONE or NOT?

Do I need to reset my valves on my Y8 head? I did not remove the cam or cam gear.. but If i need to do this.. how do i do it? DETAILS PLEASE..

Setting the pistons before I put the head on.. Where shold they be at? Specific details please..

I need the correct steps on putting the timing belt on. should i put the belt on while im putting the crank pulley on? should i bolt the head on and then bolt the crank pulley on with the timing belt? I need to know the correct step on how to do this so i dont mess anything up.

Thanks for all your help guys.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2006, 06:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hailer

??????????
Old 01-07-2006, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 fireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Put RTV (silicone) onto the corners where the camshaft "humps" are for the valve cover gasket to help it seal. Its even in the factory service manual.

It does NOT mention doing this for the head gasket...and I think it will not allow the head to sit perfectly level if you add silicone.

Last edited by fireant; 01-07-2006 at 06:40 AM.
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hailer

thanks thanks
Old 01-07-2006, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

berettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailer
I am currently putting together a D16A6 with a Y8 head and y8 manifold with lots of extras. I need some built info for you "honda gods" out there..

Have the D16A6 block sitting on my engine stand about to put the head on. I have a Y8 head gasket, Y8 Intake manifold gasket and a Y8 Valve cover gasket. This guy said i should use silicone when putting on the head gasket and valve cover gasket.. is this true? SILICONE or NOT?

Do I need to reset my valves on my Y8 head? I did not remove the cam or cam gear.. but If i need to do this.. how do i do it? DETAILS PLEASE..

Setting the pistons before I put the head on.. Where shold they be at? Specific details please..

I need the correct steps on putting the timing belt on. should i put the belt on while im putting the crank pulley on? should i bolt the head on and then bolt the crank pulley on with the timing belt? I need to know the correct step on how to do this so i dont mess anything up.

Thanks for all your help guys.
As far as silicone on gasket no! If you want use copper spray gasket, nothing else.
You dont need to adjust valvetrain unless it is out of oem spec.. .007 intake .009 exhaust..
You dont need to do anything w/ pistons but make sure there @ top dead center when applying "Y8" timing belt.
Bolt and torque head down, then put timing belt on one all things are aligned, then you can put crank pulley on.. It dont really matter.. You should go pick up chiltons to better help you out on visual..
berettagtz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hailer

where can i find one of those? discount?autozone?pet boys? thanks for your help!
Old 01-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

berettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailer
where can i find one of those? discount?autozone?pet boys? thanks for your help!
You have to be more specific..????????????????????????????
berettagtz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2006, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hailer

sorry.. you said: You should go pick up chiltons to better help you out on visual..

where cani get a chiltons?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 njn63 is learning the way of the Dnjn63 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

most automotive stores.
any book store.
or order it online from amazon/ebay/etc.

The Helm manual is the one to have but a Chilton/Haynes also works and it's easier to get/cheaper.
njn63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in