What car is my D15 from? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
caspian320

Default What car is my D15 from?

First off let me say that I am a total newbie. If this has already been discused, I am sorry. Anyway, I have a 89 CRX HF with a D15B8 motor. I was at advance auto today trying to buy a distributor cap and rotor, but the ones they showed me were not the ones I needed. So He said for me to get the right ones I had to find out what type of car my motor came out of. So I am hoping one of you will help me out. Does anyone Know?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

D15B8 is 92-95 CX or VX I think.
DirtyDC4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

You should still be useing the stock obd0 distributor for that car. The 1.5 and 1.6 distibutor caps are the same i thought. Do you have mpfi or dpfi?
If its multipointfuelinjection with 4 fuel injecoters you need the d16a6 1.6 distributor cap for 88-91.
DontSaveHer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontSaveHer
You should still be useing the stock obd0 distributor for that car. The 1.5 and 1.6 distibutor caps are the same i thought. Do you have mpfi or dpfi?
If its multipointfuelinjection with 4 fuel injecoters you need the d16a6 1.6 distributor cap for 88-91.
b7 is the same also,as is the z6 i beleive
91HB-D15b2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
caspian320

I have multi-point. I just called advance and the cap for a 95 civic cx is exactly what i need. I knew you were the right guys to ask. Now I need to ask an even harder question. The reason I am doing a tune up is that my car has been driving very irratic. It sound and feels rough. It studders when I accelerate and I have a check engine light that is comming on. I looked at the computer and it showed 12 short flashes then a pause. I think that is saying I have and exhaust gas recirculation lift valve problem. Anyone know if thats right, or what to do about It?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian320
I have multi-point. I just called advance and the cap for a 95 civic cx is exactly what i need. I knew you were the right guys to ask. Now I need to ask an even harder question. The reason I am doing a tune up is that my car has been driving very irratic. It sound and feels rough. It studders when I accelerate and I have a check engine light that is comming on. I looked at the computer and it showed 12 short flashes then a pause. I think that is saying I have and exhaust gas recirculation lift valve problem. Anyone know if thats right, or what to do about It?
Bingo. Code 12 is EGR. The passage needs to be cleaned or you need a new valve.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
caspian320

Well I hope I dont need a new one. I just looked up the price and its $228 dollars. How do I clean the passage?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Just becouse u have a 92-95 b8 motor i think you still have the 88-91 obd0 distributor.
DontSaveHer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

It could also be that the sensor went bad or is unplugged.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
caspian320

if the sensor is bad or unplugged would that cause the car to run bad?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yes.

For instance, if your CTS(Coolant Temp Sensor)went bad or was unplugged, the ECU wouldn't know when to go to closed-loop operation. EGR is different than a CTS, obviously.

Cars with EGR have that calculated into their A/F ratio. If the EGR stops working or if the sensor goes out so the ECU thinks it isn't working, it throws the whole calibration off.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
caspian320

so what would be my first step in fixing this problem? can i take the egr valve off and tell its not working by looking at it? Do I just get a new one and see if that fixes the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in