target AFRs - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default target AFRs

ok, so i've been looking around at different tuning writeups and i'm trying to find the target AFRs to tune to. they each seem to say a different number for such and such rpm/mbar. for example:

http://home.mn.rr.com/keebler65/hond...alogging.html:

http://hondata.com/techwidebandtuning.html

this is going to be for a z6, i/e, increased compression and minor headwork...after i get a handle on tuning im going to get cam/headers/IM/TB, etc...but what should i tune for now?

i've been driving around without it tuned because as far as i can tell it's running mostly ok, never shoots too lean, seems to be a little rich at times though, going down to 11.xx at full throttle.

also, anyone use freelog or ecuControl here? does the vtec activation notification things actually work? im trying to see if vtec is activating and it doesnt seem either is reporting that it comes on. any thoughts?
roppetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2005, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
decev

Just hook-up a 12volt light to the solenoid and you'll know where v-tec activation is and it's simple to do. I was running even more rich than that stock and found gains with nearly the same setup at 13:1. Those charts you've got are a good ground work, but I found that the 13:1 at wide open worked much better. A side note, v-tec activation I've seen some places can be set as low as 4200 on SOHC. Mine's at 4550 and kicks in loud and solid.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2005, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by decev
Just hook-up a 12volt light to the solenoid and you'll know where v-tec activation is and it's simple to do. I was running even more rich than that stock and found gains with nearly the same setup at 13:1. Those charts you've got are a good ground work, but I found that the 13:1 at wide open worked much better. A side note, v-tec activation I've seen some places can be set as low as 4200 on SOHC. Mine's at 4550 and kicks in loud and solid.
yeah, i figured i'd aim for 12.5/13:1 for WOT, but i as more just wondering about the first 50%, i would have thought 15:1 would be too lean? i was leaning towards aiming more towards the handata chart as that seems a little safer engine wise. but if 15:1 doesnt hurt the engine, i wouldnt mind getting less gas mileage down in the low/mid range like keebler has

and about vtec, thats what i plan on doing when i go home for xmas break, i was just wondering if it actually shows activation in ecu control/freelog or if that part didnt work.
roppetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2005, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
decev

I've got mine running never higher than 13.9-14.0. It seems fine and changes between wot and slightly open don't really jar the car unless I'm really low in the RPMs.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in