Emissions FAIL hydrocarbons/carbon monoxide - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 X292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to X292J
Default Emissions FAIL hydrocarbons/carbon monoxide

yea so i failed my emissions, Hydrocarbons (HC) me-->1.11 wats ok--->1.00
CarbonMonoxide (CO) me->26.62 wats ok--->12.00
OxidesOfNitrogen (NOX) me-->1.75 wats ok--->2.50

so fail, fail, pass ....can anyone tell me whats up? dose it need a new cat.?
any bandaids for this problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by X292J; 12-05-2005 at 03:09 PM.
X292J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 SillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SillyImportRacer Send a message via Yahoo to SillyImportRacer

can't tell you if you need a cat but for a band-aid, look at a better auto parts store for the 104-plus in the green bottle. they clain it will help you pass sniff. I live far enough out that I don't have to worry about it.
of course, you might just need a tune-up.
good luck
SillyImportRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

whats your mods? that might help us out a bit to determine if its just a cat or what

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 X292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regular

tune up eh, i havent changed my plugs in a while to think about it ,anyone got say on this? valve lash recently, new oil, hmm so an incomplete burn is doing this?

Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

mods? well its turboed, um yeah u kno the usaual headrs,turbo, wastegat,IC, pipes, BOV, uberdata, bluetop dsms', i have the egr recirculating now unlike what it is in the pic in my avi
the exaust housing gose to 3" Downpipe gose to the stock cat and i use a exaust dump before that, but i kept it closed for the test so they wouldent suspect u kno excssive loudness from where the muffle isnt at (IE by the front)
well yea so hmm i dunno what else unless the exaust jus sits infront of the cat some how and builds up CO, or could be my tune is not set for eviormetaly-hippie/treehugger friendly

Old 12-05-2005, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Foolery

Rep Power: 15 TAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TAGs95CivicEX Send a message via MSN to TAGs95CivicEX Send a message via Skype™ to TAGs95CivicEX
Question Here is what I found?

I wanted to double check what they all mean.High HC!

And that high of carbon monoxide, I dare say you have cat trouble, stock cat or high flow?

-TAG
God Made Shit, Chevrolet Just Put Wheels On It
TAGs95CivicEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2005, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

its a stock cat, efficency is the name of game so maby one off a deisel truck as a replacement?

Old 12-05-2005, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

your turboed and your cat is probably bad
your not going to have good emissions

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Foolery

Rep Power: 15 TAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to allTAGs95CivicEX is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TAGs95CivicEX Send a message via MSN to TAGs95CivicEX Send a message via Skype™ to TAGs95CivicEX
Talking I'm With Jimmy

I say you have cat trouble, and HC is just unburned gas, running rich perhaps, tone down your Fuel pressure for the test, maybe you have cylinder starting to miss. Either way a new car may solve the minor HC problem as well.

-TAG
God Made Shit, Chevrolet Just Put Wheels On It
TAGs95CivicEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

new plugs,upgraded bigger cat, tha green 104+ stuff, Fuel pressure hmm, a missing cyl. prolly between shifts or on/off the gas (i heard a pop sometimes when they did that)

a new car, *sigh* wish there were FC's and FD's around my place in good condition/$$...but the d for now, maby after im done being a teen tho

Old 12-05-2005, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
whatthehell1051

Man that suck what do they do if you fail because in florida they don't have that HAHAHA naw but foreal they don't have it.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2005, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 d16a6 power is learning the way of the Dd16a6 power is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Well you are way on the rich side. CO is a richness indicator. Your running uberdata right? So have someone lean out the part throttle and lower r.p.m. range. You may have fouled your catalytic converter by now.
d16a6 power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

mikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

yep youre running too rich. lean out the vacuum columns.

either that or find a "friendly" place to get your inspection done
mikeD16Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2005, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
whatthehell1051

so what happens if you fail??
Old 12-05-2005, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 the EH is learning the way of the Dthe EH is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

just an f.y.i. just becouse Nox is low doesnt mean it wont change when HC and Co go down. Nox is produced by temps above 2500F in the combustion chamber, so all that extra fuel is cooling down the cylinder and with less fuel your cylinder can get hotter. I have had this happen to me countless times. but eventually you can figure it out.
the EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 d16a6 power is learning the way of the Dd16a6 power is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by the EH
just an f.y.i. just becouse Nox is low doesnt mean it wont change when HC and Co go down. Nox is produced by temps above 2500F in the combustion chamber, so all that extra fuel is cooling down the cylinder and with less fuel your cylinder can get hotter. I have had this happen to me countless times. but eventually you can figure it out.
This is very true, but as long as his cat is working it should pass.
d16a6 power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 05:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthehell1051
so what happens if you fail??
they give you 60 days to fix it

Old 12-06-2005, 05:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
vash_vts

lean that bitch out!, change your cat, maybe fit another one on the back of the existing cat. all that is un-burned fuel! theres a reason that you want a 14:1 a/f ratio, its to pass emissions tests! but seriously get a new cat, and turn the tune down, dont you have multiple tune maps? if not you should get a "race" and a "granny mode" that way you can just load up ur 2nd map whenever you need to go get smogged.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

rotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

i know some people here actually pass with only using a little bit of 89 octane...
burns different lower the boost lean it out..and use a cutout..lol

all kinds of ways to "cheat the system
rotory20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 06:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

^^^^good info, thx guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in