Critique my maps? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Ľ Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Critique my maps?

Hi All,

I'm building a car for the GRM 2k challenge. This is my first time tuning any sort of vehicle. The program is Tuner Express.

The car-
D16A6,
z6 intake,
LS TB
OBD0 in a 91 CRX

I got the ostrich and wideband setup last week, downloaded a stock-ish .bin from PGMFI and modified the fuel tables so the car can drive around and mostly stay between 11 and 15 AFR. I haven't touched any of the ignition maps.

Right now all I'm doing is modifying the fuel trims by load column, and haven't used the smooth function, or spent time modifying individual cells.

Can you guys critique my fuel and AFR maps and tell me what I should be focusing on next?

Any advice on street tuning would be welcome-I'm unable to pay for dyno time because of the budget constraints of the challenge.

AFR Table-

Fuel Map-

Spark Map-
Danneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

It’s hard to judge based upon the table values. It looks like you’re pretty rich at WOT at 4690 RPM. I’d take some fuel out of the cells that are 12.x.

Since you’re NA, there’s not a reason to go too much richer than 14.7:1. Personally, i would shoot for around 13.5:1 in your peak RPM WOT cells. I generally adjust fuel in 2-4% increments. As you become more comfortable and familiar with things, you’ll have a better feel for what 2% vs say 6% fuel trim will accomplish.

I find it’s easier to get a feel for things by viewing the 2D graphs. I also prefer to make fuel adjustments based on the AFR from the CSV datalogs as opposed to the recorded AFR table. The table is cumulative and tries to average the value of that cell based upon how many times it’s been hit and what the values were. The table will help you see what’s going on during part throttle and high load/low RPM situations but isn’t as accurate as the actual datalog.

Your idle cells should be at 18 degrees BTDC to match the base ignition timing.

Do you have a det can so you can start making ignition adjustments?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 02-27-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks Patricio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
Itís hard to judge based upon the table values. It looks like youíre pretty rich at WOT at 4690 RPM. Iíd take some fuel out of the cells that are 12.x.
Got it. It looks like I'm rich all the way across the 4690 RPM load range...I'll adjust these values on the next version. This build will have a turbo in the next few months, I'm just getting used to tuning before I boost it.

Quote:
I find itís easier to get a feel for things by viewing the 2D graphs.
Interesting-I know Tuner Express has the ability to show 2D graphs, but I can't figure out how. I'll email the developer and see what he says. Will re-post when he tells me what I'm doing wrong.

Quote:
Your idle cells should be at 18 degrees BTDC to match the base ignition timing.

Do you have a det can so you can start making ignition adjustments?
I haven't even started to look how to modify the timing. Do you just add or subtract a percentage, one column at a time, similar to adjusting the fuel table?

No det cans yet-what kind do you recommend?

Old 02-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Thereís a write up from FarmerD regarding the det can.

Learn what detonation sounds like. Hereís a great video. Use headphones.

For ignition tuning, I do a WOT pull with the stethoscope earpieces in and listen for detonation. I use my phoneís voice memo function to record notes about where I heard it. I always pull 2 degrees when I hear detonation.

A dyno is really the only accurate way to effectively tune the ignition map.

You should do some reading regarding ignition timing and MBT to better understand how ignition timing affects the torque curve.

Also, you should always aim to prevent detonation by reducing timing, not by adding fuel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

UPDATE-found the graph function-here is my fuel map in graph form-

Old 02-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Ugh tuner express makes it tougher to visualize the graph with those giants dots at the data points.

I would take those boost cells that overlap and add fuel to move them out of the way.

It’ll make it easier to see the cells you’re worried about right now (being NA) and will also help you be ready for when you go turbo and use the boost columns.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 02-28-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in