Do high energy coils blow ignitors or hurt ECU - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Do high energy coils blow ignitors or hurt ECU

Recently installed a MSD Blaster 2 coil with the MSD Pro dist. cap, after a few months car starting cutting off & eventually stopped running altogether. I replaced the igniter & it fired right up, drove it twice about 10 miles, parked it & about an hour later dead again, no spark. Both of the igniters used were very old. Is it possible that the coil is blowing them or have I do I just need a new igniter.
Also, do high energy coils affect the ECU adversely?
If this is the wrong place to ask this where should I post it?

Last edited by es1bkacsur; 02-16-2019 at 04:02 PM. Reason: additional info
es1bkacsur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I can’t think of any way that a high energy coil would affect the ECU. I cold, however, see a high energy could affecting the igniter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Ran 100k miles or so with a MSD 6AL and B2 coil, only one ignitor partial failure. The MSD box helped me get the car home that last 100 miles from Niagra 6 meet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Reinstalled the OEM coil & another used igniter from the parts pile, fired right up. Will it keep running remains to be seen.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Henry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunna

We've found that heat and low voltage were harder on ignition components than a high output coil. We run an MSD remote coil with the modified dist cap in our race car and have stopped having igniter issues. We used to have to take 2-3 dist's to each event and usually go through them all in 2 days. Taking the coil out of the dist reduced the heat which is what I think was partly the cause.
Henry44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Default Guess I'm bassakwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry44 View Post
We've found that heat and low voltage were harder on ignition components than a high output coil. We run an MSD remote coil with the modified dist cap in our race car and have stopped having igniter issues. We used to have to take 2-3 dist's to each event and usually go through them all in 2 days. Taking the coil out of the dist reduced the heat which is what I think was partly the cause.
I've run all stock dist. for years of auto-x, track days & long, hard, fast highway runs without any trouble till I installed the remote MSD coil & MSD modified coil.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Check the resistance in the primary windings of the aftermarket coil vs. the factory coil with a multimeter.

If the aftermarket one has less resistance than the factory one you are probably burning out ignitors because you are overdriving them.

If I am thinking clearly (not very likely) the ignitor is just a transistor or 2 or 3 that feeds power to the coil then cuts it, field collapses, sparky spark in the pluggy plug(s).

The electrical formulas E=IxR and P=IxE figure heavily.

This may not be the problem at all, but I know there are low resistance coils that play hell on stock ignitions, or just dump their oily guts all over the top of your motor if you have a strong set of points... Gross.

My $.02 is that a properly maintained stock ignition is probably better than 90% of the aftermarket. It just doesn't look as shiny.
bigblock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 CustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagle

It's like putting a 1ohm sub-woofer on a Amp designed for 4 ohm speakers, it'll over heat the transistors and burn them out, the transistor in the icm is mounted directly to the dizzy base sharing the engine heat, doing no good for dissipating the generated heat, could try removing the icm and remote locating it with a small heat-sink added to it.
CustomY8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in