General Question About Tuning Theory - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2018, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Default General Question About Tuning Theory

So I'm going to tune a H23A Blue Top, and to me it seems very much similar to the H22 with a longer stroke. I figured I would start with a H22 basemap and tune from there, but my question is about ignition timing differences.

In general, if you increase the stroke on an engine, you would expect the engine to make peak power at lower ignition timing levels? It seems like I will have to take some timing away from the H22 ignition maps in certain areas for it to be ideal on the H23A, does this seem correct or is it the opposite? I don't have a dyno to tune this engine, it will just be street tuning with a det can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Why dont you start with an H23A basemap?

I dont know which tuning platform you are gonan use, but there are plenty of basemaps out there to find.

Might even need to use the website archives to find a clean one.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....

I'm using Neptune, and I didn't find any H23A calibrations (at least not stock ones).

Old 10-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

i did not realize that many shops and online sites have stopped doing basempas for pocket change, and are now selling for a good chunk of change.

https://www.hamotorsports.com/neptun...m-basemap.html

At least this one is 29 bucks and not 50 or 80, as found on other sites.

Looks like all you need is Neptune RTP setup to go form laptop to ecu.
Im assuming you do, as the very old neptune stuff was more involved in messing around.

I found this via googling "neptune honda base maps"

What a shame. Years ago, xenocron was offering un-tuned basemaps for $15 and they usually were good about emailing them within 24 hours

Build what you have!

Old 10-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Xenocron offers basemap files ($20) and stock engine chips ($22.50), although HA actually has H23A bluetop as an option in their dropdown whereas Xenocron doesn't.

I'm sure if you were to call Xenocron, they would either have this file or could source it for you from somewhere and email it to you fairly pain free.

Either way, you can definitely get the stock map file for that engine on the seriously cheap from a few places (unless of course you completely insist on the street tune method because it's fun and free )

EDIT: I apologize, the pricing I put here is incorrect for the Neptune basemap files on Xenocron. They do want $50, not sure why cause that is steep! The above prices are for Crome, etc. binary type files, which cannot be directly used by Neptune. I would probably go with HA in this case, as their Neptune basemaps are as mattliston said $29 bucks.

Last edited by drtalon123; 10-25-2018 at 09:37 AM.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've personally not been a fan of "basemaps" especially for non-US engines. Also, a basemap is meant to be a starting place, and I'm asking more about the final tuning of the ignition maps.

I would be more interested in a final tuned ignition map for a H23A bluetop than a basemap. That way I can get an idea of how it compares to just a H22.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

There are quite a few places online that sell "tuned" maps.

You simply fill in the information on your motor, and they make it pretty close to what you want.

If you are wanting a very clean start, simply indicate you are using 87 octane fuel, that way the ignition map is conservative and ready for a good datalog session on the street during your tuning.

Build what you have!

Old 10-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

This is more dependant on the R/S ratio than the displacement. Think about things in terms of piston acceleration from TDC.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 spAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I think that's what the OP was thinking since the H22A and H23A have the same deck height, iirc. Theoretically yes, if you stroke an engine at the same deck height, you increase the rod/stroke ratio, and hence the max piston speed, so you should end up seeing less peak timing. The VE curve will likely be shifted slightly due to different pumping efficiency as well... this will shift the fuel and ignition curves along the rpm axis.

Worth stressing about a new base map over? Not really. Pull a degree out of the WOT columns and go tune.
spAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in