Electrical gremlin under the hood. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Electrical gremlin under the hood.

So, today I did a test drive of my newly rebuilt d16z6 engine that sits in a 4th gen civic shuttle chasis.

After about 400 miles, I was closing in on home, and thought it cannot be that first test drive went so well.

And then my RPM needle just dropped to 0. The engine kept on running fine.
I was almost certain that distributor has filled up with oil or that something of sorts has happened (had that a few years back).

After stopping and inspecting the dizzy, everything seemed fine.

However, now the car did not want to start due to starter motor turning over a few times and then stopping.

The battery was fine, the generator was fine. So I push started the car, and got back home.

While driving the RPM needle mended itself. At home, guess what, the electrical gremlin hid itself - the car starts from half a turn, and rpm needle is fine.

I looked at the diagrams and figured out that the blue wire going to ignition module in dizzy is responsible for rpms on tach, I will inspect that tomorrow. But, what could have caused the starting issue?

I looked at the starter diagram, and it seems that to start the car there has to be some signal from PCM (ecu). Could that signal have something to do with distributor? Meaning that some wires are bad in my dizzy, causing the rpm needle to drop and the car to not start properly all in one?

Any insights are welcome!
TadasB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

There is a low current starter signal wire to the ECU that tells it when the starter is engaged. I believe this is the same signal used to power the starter solenoid. This is used for a few different functions by the ECU but it has no bearing on the starter motor itself.

There could be numerous causes for the no start situation. A faulty starter could work intermittently (I’ve experienced this personally) but I would check to see that you have power to the starter solenoid wire first. Obviously you’d need to replicate the no start situation before you check.

If you have a model with a clutch interlock switch, there’s a starter relay near the hood release lever/switch. If there’s no power to the starter solenoid wire, you’ll want to check this in addition to the clutch interlock switch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 07-01-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Look at the distributor harness, and pop the cap adn rotor off, and take a peak at the ignition module and its connections.

a tach signal reading zero, yet motor keeps running is more commonly a gauge cluster tachometer going bad, but it CAN be an ignition module or wiring taking a crap as well.

The tach signal is taken from the ignition module directly. That wiring inside the distributor can get crusty and intermittent.

Id look for any wiring corrosion, pinch points, or any burn marks

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Checked the dizzy, yet again it is half full of oil even when I replaced both seals. I am done with wanking about the old one, I ordered a new Ashuki unit. I read that the brand is supposedly good. Is there any info about it here on forum?

I checked and the alternator is not giving enough output (only 12.89v with engine running) so I will tighten the belt or use another one I got as a spare.

Hopefully this stuff kills the green long-eared gremlin.
TadasB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadasB View Post
Checked the dizzy, yet again it is half full of oil even when I replaced both seals. I am done with wanking about the old one, I ordered a new Ashuki unit. I read that the brand is supposedly good. Is there any info about it here on forum?

I checked and the alternator is not giving enough output (only 12.89v with engine running) so I will tighten the belt or use another one I got as a spare.

Hopefully this stuff kills the green long-eared gremlin.
Richporter distributors are the only ones that I’ve unanimously heard good reviews about.

12.89v is about right if the headlights and radiator fan are on.

Remember the alternator output can also change from 12.5v to 14.5v depending on the signal from the ECU

Cold start you should see around 14.3v with no accessories on.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 07-03-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in