d16z6 P28 ecu Check engine light code reading problem - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default d16z6 P28 ecu Check engine light code reading problem

Hello everyone,

I have just finished building my NA d16z6.

Of course after connecting all the things (I am missing vtec cable for some reason), I get the ecu light to come on. However, after shortcircuting the usual blue connector I do not get flashing check engine light to read the code.

Do any one of you know what could the potencial problem be? I will recheck all the wiring tomorrow, but I am unsure about what is going on.

The engine also runs a little rough, but it still needs a proper tune.
TadasB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

what year civic is this?

if 92-95, it will blink the CEL if you short the connector, then turn key just to light up the gauges (2 clicks)

It wont work if you only turn the key once over

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2018, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

The car is a 1992 civic wagon that has a swapped d16z6 engine in it.

Yes I have turned the key for the lights to come on. It just stays and does not blink at all.

And yes, I have stuck the pin in the connector to short circuit, and for the codes to come. They do not.

Any place I could look for a potencial problem?

Old 06-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadasB View Post
The car is a 1992 civic wagon that has a swapped d16z6 engine in it.

Yes I have turned the key for the lights to come on. It just stays and does not blink at all.

And yes, I have stuck the pin in the connector to short circuit, and for the codes to come. They do not.

Any place I could look for a potencial problem?

When you start the car, does the check engine light go away, or does it remain on? Are you running an OEM ECU? Or something like Hondata?

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

The light stays on and does not go away. It is on with ignition on and after the car is started.

The ECU is P28 as stated in the name of the thread. It was chipped before.

Today I looked at some sensor connectors, I switched wires for manifold pressure sensor and throttle possition sensor - the car did not like it so I switched it back.

However, when I switched intake air temperature sensor with idle air control valve. After switching these wires it seems the car works a bit better.

I also tested that signal comes to my lamda and to oil pressure sensors.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I would look at the wiring colors to verify your sensors are all indeed plugged in correctly. There are a few pairs of sensors like you experienced, same plug, different operation.

Build what you have!

Old 06-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
I would look at the wiring colors to verify your sensors are all indeed plugged in correctly. There are a few pairs of sensors like you experienced, same plug, different operation.
I will do that tomorrow, however, that does not solve the problem of ECU not showing me the codes when short circuted. Could it be that it's missing a grounding wire or something of that nature?
Old 06-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadasB View Post
The ECU is P28 as stated in the name of the thread. It was chipped before.
Yeah i did see that, however you can have a p28 chipped with Hondata for example. The reason i ask is the chip can alter how and when the check engine light is displayed, a bad chip, bad map etc can cause a solid cel. Do you have a different ECU you can try?

A bad main fuel relay can cause a solid CEL.

I'd sort out your sensor wiring first, then if you're still experiencing the same issue report back.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

worthwhile to verify the cel in the gauges is a halogen versus an led.

Build what you have!

Old 06-21-2018, 12:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

what do you mean by cel in the gauges is halogen versus an led?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Getting back at anyone looking at this - the problem was quite simple. Wires were not connected to the ecu properly. After connecting them I got problem 1 and 13. After resetting it only 1 long flash stayed , meaning I will change the o2 sensor and drive happily ever after.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

So, i changed the lambda, checked most of the wiring, reset the ecu, but the darn 1 cel code won't go away. Do you guys have any ideas what could have caused it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in