Switched to bigger injectors, had to add fuel? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Ľ Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Default Switched to bigger injectors, had to add fuel?

I switched from DSM 450s to 600cc Bosch EV14s and I had to increase my fuel map by about 6-8% at idle to get back to 14.7:1.

Iím confused by this. I thought that Iíd be running super rich but I was drifting up into the 16:1 range at idle with the 450cc map.

Iím guessing this has something to do with the difference between peak and hold and saturated injectors but I just wanted to double check.

Any thoughts? I donít want to keep adding fuel to cover up a potential problem if this isnít expected behavior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2018, 02:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
I switched from DSM 450s to 600cc Bosch EV14s and I had to increase my fuel map by about 6-8% at idle to get back to 14.7:1.

I’m confused by this. I thought that I’d be running super rich but I was drifting up into the 16:1 range at idle with the 450cc map.

I’m guessing this has something to do with the difference between peak and hold and saturated injectors but I just wanted to double check.

Any thoughts? I don’t want to keep adding fuel to cover up a potential problem if this isn’t expected behavior
might have to do with the actual fuel being injected with the larger injectors, large injectors do funny things when actuated slowly on the low end. Ive dealt with this quite a bit on my turbo ls1 with 80lb/hr injectors. the difference between 1.2ms and 1.3 is a cavernous uncanny valley of wtf is going on.

that being said, 600's arent extreme i would expect them to be a little more consistent on the low end, especially if they are bosch brand name. Perhaps they have an odd low pulsewidth curve, or your going below the minimum pulsewidth causing them to not open fully and give you lean results. If your going from saturated to peak and hold you might want to check your resistor pack to make sure they are getting the correct amperage/voltage as this can cause the injectors to not fully open if the voltage is sagging.

Last edited by cervan; 05-21-2018 at 02:21 AM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Yeah, it was weird. At idle the AFRs would start at 14.7ish then slowly creep up to 16-16.5:1 before I shut it off. Added like 6% at idle and it stabilized at around 14.2:1.

I figured it was something related to latency or pulse width but I couldn’t work it out in my head.

It’s richer everywhere else so I’m guessing it’s just the behavior of the higher impedance saturated injectors.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Old 05-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
Yeah, it was weird. At idle the AFRs would start at 14.7ish then slowly creep up to 16-16.5:1 before I shut it off. Added like 6% at idle and it stabilized at around 14.2:1.

I figured it was something related to latency or pulse width but I couldnít work it out in my head.

Itís richer everywhere else so Iím guessing itís just the behavior of the higher impedance saturated injectors.

Thanks
Yeah as long as its consistent i wouldnt be too worried about it. Do you happen to have a data sheet on them?
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Yup, just don’t have one for the DSM 450s to compare it to

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 05-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

When I switched to my 880cc injectors my car was so lean it wouldn't even idle. When I ran dsm's the car was a little lean on first startup, however it started and ran.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Yeah, I think the low impedance DSMs just responded faster and did better at low pulse widths. I needed to clean up the fuel map anyway so this forced me to do it

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in