1991 JDM CR-X D15B 1.5X / CV Dual Carb - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 1991 JDM CR-X D15B 1.5X / CV Dual Carb

Hello All,

I just joined this forum per I may want to purchase a 1991 JDM CR-X D15B 1.5X / CV Dual Carb. I'm in my late 30's and always wanted a CRX since a kid, so I may have the chance to grab a JDM one and I'm a bit unsure if I should make the purchase/investment. I've done tons of searches and have read several different forums / websites and there seems to be conflicting information out there about the D15B 1.5X engine, etc.

My main concern before possibly making this purchase is that I can find the standard maintenance items / Tune-up items without too much worry. From my research so far, it seems that the JDM D15B 1.5X engine is a mash up of the D16Z6 (Head) and the D15Z1 (block) from the VX.

I have complied the list below so that I can tune the car up after the purchase. I would greatly appreciate the members feedback and any additions to the list you may find I should update. I'm happy to be here and hope I can receive constructive feedback on the list so far:

1. Headlight Bulbs: Nokya R702K/H4H Artic White Halogen Light Bulb
2. Timing Belt: (106 teeth) Kit: Evergreen TBK143VCT 88-95 Honda Civic Del Sol 1.5 SOHC (Amazon.com)
3. Head Gasket: (Same fit as the D16Y8 or 96-97 Honda Del Sol Si): Ishino Cylinder Head Gasket (Amazon.com)
4. Oil Pump: (Same fit as the D16Z6 or 91-95 Honda Civic Si): Part Number 15100P06A02 (hondapartsunlimited.com)
5. Windshield Wipers: 19" both sides
6. Rear brake pads: Any Honda Civic with drum or disk brakes (two different types only, drum or disk)
7. Front brake pads:
8. Radiator: Honda Part # 19010-PM4-004 (Discontinued Part from what I found online)
9. Radiator Cap: 19045-PN3-003 (Denso)
10. Air Filter: K&N Part # E-9071

Anyone know what kind of brake pads will fit the JDM D15B 1.5X on the front?
Anyone know what kind of radiator will fit the JDM D15B 1.5X?

Thanks again in advance for any advice and/or feedback you all could provide!

Ace
Ace35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

The d15b carb engine is more like a USDM d15b2 with a carb on it, what country are you in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the reply BeerDrinkin. I'm in the U.S.A.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Does yours have vtec? Or just non v-tec, these dual carb engines were oddballs.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

It's a non-vtec version. It's the the CV Dual Carb (PGM-Dual Carb)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

That is a 1.5L or d15b dual carb non vtec. Similar to a d15b7 head and block except obd0 with 9.2:1 compression and makes about [email protected] so it makes it's power up top compared to a d15b7 [email protected]

I think that version of the crx is pretty rare. So if the condition is good it might be worth it.
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the information, dirty d. That's my concern, the fact that it's a rare engine. I'm concerned I will not be able to source repair parts easily in the USA.

That's why I'm trying to determine which USDM parts are interchangeable with the JDM D15B Non-V-Tec Dual Carb for routine maintenance and repairs...?

Any confirmation/input from the community would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Dirty D has it, if it's non vtec it's pretty close to the d15b2 setup, I would order d15b2 replacement parts.

Use a Honda Y8 head gasket (not aftermarket) if replacing it, also the radiator can be bought online and other places, you don't need a honda brand one. Also the oil pump you have listed will fit still.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks BeerDrinkin. Just to confirm, I should look into D15B2 replacement parts or D15B7 replacement parts?

Thanks for the information on the Y8 head gasket and the information on the radiator and the oil pump.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Both will work, the only thing that's different is the cam, pistons, intake and exhaust parts mostly. I just say d15b2 because it's from that era of engines, the b7 was used in the 92-95.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks a lot BeerDrinkin! Really appreciate your time in helping out a Noob!

Also, thanks to dirty d!
Old 06-23-2017, 10:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness

You can actually get dual carb d15b engines from importers with under 60,000mi on them for around $395. I bought one and used the block as a replacement for my d15b7 10 years ago, that engine is still running today. I wouldn't be worried about rare parts for that engine. Also what are you contemplating doing to this car?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the info. dirty d....I looking at buying a 1991 JDM 1.5X CRX (Non-V-Tec). I'm looking to buy the car and engine together (all stock / complete package)....I don't have any plans on modding the engine...I want to keep it stock and just make sure I can service it and maintain it.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

If you know nothing about the car or engine it would be really dumb to import one with a dual carb engine. You will likely find little to no information about it when trying to troubleshoot problems.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Buy it! Lots of 80s Hondas in USA/Canada had dual carbs, and like usual, I bet Honda used basically the same crap on all their cars.

Worst case scenario you can convert it to a different carb setup. I have an 86 Toyota pickup with a carb'd engine, theres nothing easier to convert if you cant find parts. Dont be afraid of a sweet car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Plus if you dug pretty hard you could find a nice after market carb set up and make nice power especially with a cam and head porting. I think a guy made around 158whp a long time ago with a set up like that.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

I have this engine myself, if one were to need a fuel pump is there a usdm equivalent to it available that just bolts up as honda intended or do ppl use other methods to achieve carb friendly fuel flow? Back in the day we just regulated it but idk if that's proper form

I always wondered if my stock p06 ecu and b7 intake were holding me back, and figured the power peak and tq peaks on Wikipedia were mistyped or something.

If my fuel cut really is at my honda intended power peak, I need a few more revs at LEAST to go w my new intake... Back on topic.

Shouldnt brake parts be the next item of discussion? Looks like we got the motor part figured out
Old 06-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

I believe I found the proper brake pads (OEM and aftermarket):

OEM:
45022-SH3-000 / PAD SET, FRONT / CR-X / honda | part detail?JP-CarParts.com

Aftermarket:
NiBK Brakes:: Application Cross Reference and Image for NiBK : BRAKE PADS : PN8263
Old 06-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Brake pads and stuff won't be a problem, if for some reason it came with different pads/rotors than whats available locally than you can swap them out for more modern/bigger parts easily.

Quote:
Old 06-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Great to hear, BeerDrinkin. One of my buddies is a mechanic and knows Honda's, etc. in and out. He'll be helping me keeping the car on the road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in