Tuning with low CP ratio - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Tuning with low CP ratio

In a month or so I will be swapping in my built z6 bottom end and getting ready for some boost. *Block has 75.5mm 8.8:1 Wiseco pistons and eagle rods. *I will be using Hondata to tune. *I played with tuning the stock motor to get an understanding for how everything worked.

So my question is is there anything specific differences between tuning low compression and high compression engines? *And for break in I planned to run the motor without the turbo on it yet. *Should I run a 255 fuel pump and 750cc injectors during the break in or just wait to install them with the turbo
cityofcaterpillars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Jfab is learning the way of the DJfab is learning the way of the D

Ignition timing. Research on here and you will see alot of guys say that high comp and boost can be done as long as the tune is spot on. i ran a vitara eagle setup and was able to add in a decent amount of timing. I feel it was a little more forgiving than tuning a high comp engine but dont quote me on that. I am still learning the process of tuning as well. I have a 12:1 block i would love to use with boost but am not confident in my tuning skills to attempt it yet.
Jfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Just like tuning E85, this is a situation where it really benefits you a lot to tune the ignition on the dyno. I normally advocate doing lots of tuning on the track/street, but with a super low CR you can easily advance the timing beyond MBT in low load/boost.

Also, when I say dyno, I mean a rea load-holding dyno. Most dynos are going to be dynojet inertia dynos, and theyre shit.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 02:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

^^^ Very well said.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Timing is everything, and also check your plugs for signs of detonation. I always try to throw new plugs in for the same reason to check for any traces of aluminum in the plug. Detonation don't always pings or feels, so checking plugs is always a good measure. Also taking your timing and adding timing to the tune should get you there safely... Good luck and have fun.
Bville99gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 4 cityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the Dcityofcaterpillars is learning the way of the D

I actually need to do some research on tuning ignition timing. I haven't played with that yet. It scares me a little without having a clear way to tell when it's right
Old 02-10-2017, 04:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

It is tricky to find exact info on how to tune timing. I have been looking for years. Understanding how to use the program you are using and knowing what the change will do when you do it is key. I have been able to monitor some local tuners and pick up information that way. I am looking into EFI University for their basic tuning class but its pretty expensive.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

I will be street tuning with Hondata. I've been reading up on making Det cans and such. There are no dynos around me unfortunately. Plus I like doing things myself.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

I made a det can as well. I think Danz had a write up on how to do one. I have never used hondata but neptune was pretty easy to use. If you stumble across a good tuning read how-to article or something post it up in here. I would love to get more knowledge on it.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

I've been looking but haven't found a whole lot on ignition timing. I'm definitely going to document everything I do on the build and tune so hopefully that will help some people.

I going to use hondata and megalog viewer for data logging. Plug reading and det can for the ignition turning. Whittlebeast said he would help me out when I got everything running. It will be an adventure to say the least
Old 02-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

8.8 isn't that low, stock is 9.2. For your motor, start off with a stock z6 map and pull 1 degree of timing per lb of boost for a medium sized turbo or 1.25-1.5 per lb of boost for a large turbo. Don't go crazy with timing without a dyno or det can. Download virtual dyno and do some testing at the track and it will net you the same results, just takes a little bit more time
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 01:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have heard of virtual dyno, is it pretty easy to use?
Old 02-13-2017, 03:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

I just spent about 2 hrs talking to Andy Whittle (whittlebeast) about setting up and using MegaLog Viewer and tuning. I'm super excited to start tuning this thing now. If you don't know who he is youtube whittlebeast.

and I will be using virtual dyno too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in