Base Map lean idle - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 TMSP is learning the way of the DTMSP is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Base Map lean idle

Hi guys. hate to start a new thread just for this but im stumped on what is exactly is going on with my AFRs.
for the last month or too my car has been idling ridiculously lean (maxes out my uego gauge) during cold start it starts off rich (around 12) then starts creeping around to lean max all within 1 minute of cold start. even when warmed up the idle stays extremely lean. under baby toe light throttle it bumps to about 16:1 afr. under a decent normal driving load it richens up to about 13-14.
i disconnected and reconnected the vacuum lines (for the bov and boost gauge) in the same locations and now its running pig rich (idk if the vac lines are what changed it) it idle at 10:1 during cold start, warmed up idle, and normal throttle load, the car now hesitates from being to rich as if it wants to stall.

turbo 100% d16z6 stock on 9lb wastegate spring on crome base map

*it is a base map (i know its not gunna run great on a BM)
*can a leak in the vacuum line cause such a drastic lean to rich condition? the bov and gauge is Td off the fuel pressure regulation.
*basically asking if this is normal for a base map? never dealt with one so idk.
I just want to make sure everything is good before i go to a tuner. they are hard to schedule with and dont want to waste time with repairs i could have fixed at home.
TMSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

also i am not using stock o2 sensor and wideband is not connected to ecu
Old 10-09-2016, 03:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
the bov and gauge is Td off the fuel pressure regulation.
don't do this .

why don't you tune the tables to give you a good warm up and idle A/F.

I swear I'm going to rub your face in that mess so you don't do it again.

Last edited by robgoof; 10-09-2016 at 03:54 AM.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Take it to a tuner so they can look it over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

vacuum/boost sense lines need to be redone it seems.

Leave the fuel reg alone to source from the manifold. let the BOV source its own path, not a 'T' to anything else. Even if it means adding a vacuum nipple to the manifold or whatever.

I suggest grabbing a few vacuum line recommendations from other turbo builds.

Also, while you are correct, tuners like being able to jump right in and tune, they DO however still check your ride out to make sure they wont be wasting time.

I suggest calling the tuner up, explaining your issue, and see what they say.

If they want your business, they will give you a few hints or recommendations to get the car over to them if you cannot afford to have it towed there.

If it ends up them saying just bring it over, bring some small tools, extra hose, maybe a few fittings, that way you can actually take care of the issue.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

i dont know how to use any type of engine management system and rather not touch anything software related since i dont know what im doing.
. i will get another vacuum source other than the fuel regulator.
just hard as tits here in SD to get ahold of a tuner let alone have them look over it. so when i do finally meet up for a tune i want everything to be ready. ill take extra hoses, fittings, etc when i actually go to tune.

also i talked to someone and they said i could be running lean bc i no longer have any type o2 sensor input going to my ecu. and to hook my stock o2 wiring to my UEGO so the ecu can see whats going on as far as AFR.... any input???
Old 10-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

unless specifically programmed to be lean, the ecu genereally will pull timing and add fuel if it cannot see an oxygen sensor.

My stock 97 civic runs rich as fuck and doesnt have hardly any ignition advance, because it does not see the primary O2. bad wiring harness plus cheap ebay o2 sensor anyways.

It actually uses less fuel over the course of a fuel tank if I make a bunch of short trips versus a couple long drives. That is how jacked up my car is at the moment lol

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's pretty bad man lol
yeah he said maybe my basemap could just have a shitty program (got my ecu chipped n basemap at Xenocron idk what their reputation is)
can a leak in the intercooler piping or vacuum system cause a lean condition? i would figure it would run richer
Old 10-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSP View Post
That's pretty bad man lol
yeah he said maybe my basemap could just have a shitty program (got my ecu chipped n basemap at Xenocron idk what their reputation is)
can a leak in the intercooler piping or vacuum system cause a lean condition? i would figure it would run richer
vacuum leak can be rich or lean.. Normally lean due to the ecu not seeing the extra air.
At the same time the ecu doesnt see the extra air but it uses the o2 sensor to adjust for this and it will try to correct itself.
It can then run rich to try to fix the lean problem.
Or it could simply give up and just run lean and set the cel.

A leaking IC piping wont do anything but loose boost on a MAP sensor type car. MAF sensor is a different story tho.

Go over the car and make sure all is tight and leak free.

If your getting the car tune then tow it to the tuner or install factory injectors, switch ecu to factory map, and remove the wastegate spring and baby it to the tuner.
Then reinstall everything once you make it to the tuner. Leave early so you have time to let the motor cool.

And yes it can just be a bad base map.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

ok thanks man. ill check over everything n see if its all tight and leak free.
probably see if i can swap ecus with another turbo single cam guy i know n see if im still lean to rule out a bad base map.
other than that i think ill jsut have to wait till i go with the tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in