Turboedit datalogs report incorrect gear - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Default Turboedit datalogs report incorrect gear

TurboEdit NG63 w ExtraTables plugin

While doing a full throttle 3rd gear pull, the datalogs report gear changes between 3rd and 4th despite me not changing gears at all:

Code:
Time	RPM	MAP	A/F	TPS	VSS	IAT	ECT	HP	Torque	Row	Col	Gear	Pulsewidth	Ign. Adv.
30.071	2716	5.42	13.05	100	34.38	111	198			9	22	3	11.19	14.04
30.118	2716	5.42	13.01	100	35.6	111	198			9	22	3	11.19	14.04
30.165	2815	5.42	13.01	100	35.6	111	198			9	22	3	11.19	14.04
30.212	2815	5.61	13.01	100	35.6	111	198			10	22	3	11.19	14.04
30.258	2815	5.61	13.01	100	35.6	111	198			10	22	3	11.41	14.04
30.305	2815	5.61	13.01	100	35.6	111	198			10	22	4	11.41	14.4
30.352	2815	5.61	13.01	100	35.6	112	198			10	22	4	11.41	14.4
30.399	2815	5.61	13.01	100	37.24	112	198			10	22	4	11.41	14.4
30.446	2963	5.61	13.01	100	37.24	112	198			10	23	4	11.41	14.4
30.492	2963	5.8	13.01	100	37.24	112	198			10	23	4	11.41	14.4
30.539	2963	5.8	13.01	100	37.24	112	198			10	23	4	11.79	14.4
30.586	2963	5.8	13.01	100	37.24	112	198			10	23	3	11.79	15.48
30.633	2963	5.8	12.66	100	38.88	112	198			10	23	3	11.79	15.48
30.68	2963	5.8	12.66	100	38.88	112	198			10	23	3	11.79	15.48
30.726	3048	5.8	12.66	100	38.88	112	198			10	23	3	11.79	15.48
30.773	3048	5.9	12.66	100	38.88	112	198			10	23	3	11.79	15.48

Any ideas?

I'm unsure how the ECU determines what gear you're in. I wasn't aware of a sensor that monitor gear position.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

If I remember right, it is calculated from the reported VSS MPH, the gear ratios put into the Gear Ratio Parameters and RPM.

A couple of thing that I note:
you are at the same RPM for ~0.3 seconds at WOT?
you are at the same VSS MPH for ~1.2 seconds @ WOT?

Seems like something is not getting read/updated correctly? You might have noisy signals or something causing the long delays in updates or?

Are the gear ratios put in the ROM correctly? Tire size?
Old 06-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Hmm yeah, I had noticed those kinda of things before but I figured it was normal. Figured there was some sort of delay in ECUcontrol.

Hopefully fastcrxsi90 or The_Acid_Beaver can chime in on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 06-30-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....

I use the NG64 file (attached) - don't know it the algorithm is different in it, or not?
Attached Files
File Type: bin NG64_beta_(1B).BIN (32.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Yeeeeeah...

Been meaning to try NG64 and Tuner Express. Tried installing it on my workstation here but ran into some errors a while back and never tried again.

Guessing your datalogs with NG64 don't exhibit the same behavior?

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 06-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I use Tuner Express as well, so the setup is slightly different (it actually has a table that you can edit to help with "selecting" the appropriate gear displayed) - I am about to the point where I am going to just use my Surface Pro as my complete dash...I need to figure out how to display fuel (right now I go by mileage since last fill up).
Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 11 fastcrxsi90  is slowly gaining respectfastcrxsi90  is slowly gaining respectfastcrxsi90  is slowly gaining respectfastcrxsi90  is slowly gaining respectfastcrxsi90  is slowly gaining respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
TurboEdit NG63 w ExtraTables plugin

While doing a full throttle 3rd gear pull, the datalogs report gear changes between 3rd and 4th despite me not changing gears at all:

Any ideas?

I'm unsure how the ECU determines what gear you're in. I wasn't aware of a sensor that monitor gear position.
In NG63 there is a lookup table which tries to interpolate which gear you are in based on VSS and RPM; the table actually contains gear number 0-5...it works soso.

In NG64 there is a smaller lookup table which looks at your RPM and tests your VSS to see what gear you are in; the table actually contains VSS numbers...it works quite a bit better but still isn't perfect.

Both tables are based on tire size, and drive/final gear ratios so those have to be correct. In tuner express they are a "tuneable" table so you can get pretty close. Damn 8 bit math makes this a pain, in the old ecucontrol it was calculated and dead nuts on; I just can't seem to get the math perfect using only whole numbers between 0 and 255.

Note that I have a new version of NG64 which fixes an issue with the rpm offset, I forgot to carry the 1. I will take another look at this, maybe some time off will have given new perspective. I've been heavily working on the moates interface as well as adding full obd0 vtec support for tuner express.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpilot View Post
I use Tuner Express as well, so the setup is slightly different (it actually has a table that you can edit to help with "selecting" the appropriate gear displayed) - I am about to the point where I am going to just use my Surface Pro as my complete dash...I need to figure out how to display fuel (right now I go by mileage since last fill up).
Kirk - what do you need for fuel, something like a fuel gauge? We have pounds per hour calculated and can maybe give you a calculated level based on tank size and last fill-up.

fastcrxsi90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Joe - perhaps that would work for a fuel gauge...how accurate is the calculation? I am guessing you are counting the number of injections, injector size and pulse width to drive that number? Fuel pressure would come into play also, but for the purposes of what I would use it for it may just be close enough?
Old 07-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Thanks for the update. I think there's a setting in my ET tables somewhere that's set on a per-gear basis so I want to make sure that setting isn't cause any issues during my runs. I think I'll disable all of the gear-based corrections.

Any comment on the RPM and VSS intervals?

As gtpilot pointed out, it seems like the RPM, MAP, and VSS readings only seem to update about every .2 seconds. I'm not sure if this is normal or not?

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 07-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 11 fastcrxsi90  is slowly gaining respectfastcrxsi90  is slowly gaining respectfastcrxsi90  is slowly gaining respectfastcrxsi90  is slowly gaining respectfastcrxsi90  is slowly gaining respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpilot View Post
Joe - perhaps that would work for a fuel gauge...how accurate is the calculation? I am guessing you are counting the number of injections, injector size and pulse width to drive that number? Fuel pressure would come into play also, but for the purposes of what I would use it for it may just be close enough?
I've got lot's of things calculated on my end (fuel pressure, fuel flow, etc.), I'll take a look and see if I can get a relatively simple way to calculate remaining fuel in gallons...you can test to see if accurate at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
Thanks for the update. I think there's a setting in my ET tables somewhere that's set on a per-gear basis so I want to make sure that setting isn't cause any issues during my runs. I think I'll disable all of the gear-based corrections.

Any comment on the RPM and VSS intervals?

As gtpilot pointed out, it seems like the RPM, MAP, and VSS readings only seem to update about every .2 seconds. I'm not sure if this is normal or not?
yes, make sure you disable the gear based compensations until they log correctly.

Looks like your getting around 20-24 samples per second...if you look at the data, that is faster than the ecu is even updating things. 6 to 12 samples per second is probably about as much as you need...can't remember if there is a way to slow this down in ecucontrol. I'll have to look.

fastcrxsi90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcrxsi90 View Post
Looks like your getting around 20-24 samples per second...if you look at the data, that is faster than the ecu is even updating things. 6 to 12 samples per second is probably about as much as you need...can't remember if there is a way to slow this down in ecucontrol. I'll have to look.
No need to look into it, that's basically the confirmation that I was looking for. I wasn't sure how quickly the ECU sampled the various inputs.

In ECUControl, the log interval was set to 40ms which equals 25 samples a second. I'll increase the logging interval.

Thanks!

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in