P28 Burnt Capacitors Questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2016, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Default P28 Burnt Capacitors Questions

So my car wouldnt start after sitting 3-4 days. No fuel pump, so I checked the usual suspects, no go.

Removed the ecu, and replaced the C14 cap, car fired right up. But ran like crap, so I shut it right off, wouldnt re start. Pulled the ecu again and took it inside. Found C17, C18, and C19 capactiors burnt with black paths along some of the traces.

I didnt see if they where burnt before I replaced C14, they may have been. Im curious what might cause those to pop, if anyone has a clue.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

are you sure you got the polarity right on those caps? i dont think ive ever seen something like that before on the caps anyways.

Those traces are burnt alright, might have to lay solder over the top of the board to put them back together.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie

Ive only replaced the C14, and it is correct. ive since found one older thread about this. Seems one of those caps has to do with D10/eld, which I have my wideband connected to. Which is now acting retarded. I think the wb went bad and shorted all these....

Just going to build another ecu, Ive got 11f0 board sitting here.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

ecu over 20yrs old.. caps have life span, all the caps should be changed..
left my car idling, then it just went dead, throwing up codes like gang signs.. Checked everything all checked fine. then remembered that a friend had the same issue. swapped in the back up ecu. one click start.. checked and found cap busted, removed and cleaned board. all good again.
speye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

It was the wideband. Just built a new ecu last night. Just tested it, with the wideband completely unhooked and its fine now.

Due to moisture. Even Honda couldnt keep the del Sol from getting wet inside....

Quote:

Last edited by hotrodj; 06-02-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Those seals on the delsol are just a hard problem to solve, even for Hondas engineers. The cowl intake position doesnt help either. Mine always smelled musty if i let it sit windows up for a few days
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2016, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

The redesigned replacement seals work very well. My 94 must have had them replaced a long time ago, and the most I've seen is 2-3 drops during a crazy storm. The same storm dumped a cup into my Integra thru the bad cowl/heater seal. It did have a leaky cowl too, but now I replace that seal on all my Civics/tegs first thing.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
The redesigned replacement seals work very well. My 94 must have had them replaced a long time ago, and the most I've seen is 2-3 drops during a crazy storm. The same storm dumped a cup into my Integra thru the bad cowl/heater seal. It did have a leaky cowl too, but now I replace that seal on all my Civics/tegs first thing.
I have the redesigned ones, but I installed them a long time ago lol might be due for another set....

This was a real bad storm, they dont tend to leak much during a normal storm/shower. But with tropical downpour and high winds, it gets soaked inside. Not to mention the typical 94 Civic passenger side under-dash leak, right next to the ecu! Geez

Quote:
Old 06-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Mine was a 97 and it still let a drip or three down in hard rain. I suspect if you dont keep it greased, they shrink and never come back
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
Mine was a 97 and it still let a drip or three down in hard rain. I suspect if you dont keep it greased, they shrink and never come back
Thats the funny part, I just cleaned and treated the seals the week before lol Im blaming this incident on the high winds and heavier than usual rain.

Seems the longer I go without taking the roof off, the less it leaks. IDK if thats true, but Ive owned this car for over 10 years now. But seems Ive observed that multiple times, may be coincidence

Quote:

Last edited by hotrodj; 06-04-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Spray your ECU with conformal coating spray, it'll protect it against water damage

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in