Input on my ignition map - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Default Input on my ignition map

Would like some input on my ignition map.

Intercooled M45 supercharger @ 6-7PSI
D16a6 - Crower rods, rollerwave pistons (9.3:1 comp)
Web 148e/273 camshaft
Turboedit NG63-based ROM

Using a det can, I hear what appears to be mild detonation under these conditions:

2700-4000RPM @ 5-7PSI
~11.5:1 AFR
110 degree IAT

I pulled about 4 degrees of timing in the affected areas but I still hear what I believe to be detonation.

Was hoping to get some input on the relevant portion of my ignition map. Basically just looking for someone to say "Hey dumbass that's wayyyy too much timing" or "that's a reasonable amount of timing for your conditions".

Any input is appreciated, thanks guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 01-21-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

It's a start.

Are you pulling timing when your IATs get hotter?

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Yes, it's the same as when I got the basemap from you.

It's been cool outside lately though so IATs haven't gotten above 110 while I've been playing around with it.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 01-21-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

seems quite conservative actually, pull a degree across the those map spots where you think you hear it and try a few pulls to see if you still hear it.

for reference, I was running 18 degrees at 10 psi on a stock d16z6 with a greddy TD04 setup on pump 93 without any issues

could just be mechanical noise or something
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
seems quite conservative actually, pull a degree across the those map spots where you think you hear it and try a few pulls to see if you still hear it.

for reference, I was running 18 degrees at 10 psi on a stock d16z6 with a greddy TD04 setup on pump 93 without any issues

could just be mechanical noise or something

Thanks, this is exactly the type of input I was hoping for. I'm beginning to think it's a mechanical noise and not detonation since I've already pulled about 4 degrees of timing with no audible change in the sound through the det can.

The plugs don't show signs of detonation either.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 01-21-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

maybe time for a nut and bolt session.

first step, loosen all mounting bolts and nuts, even on brackets. Just one or two full turns.

Loosen any heatshields and wire/harness brackets and holders.

Fire up the motor, and when idle sits under 1k rpms, tighten everything you can.

This sometimes gets rid of noises of "stress", especially on stiffer mounts.

Then kill the motor. Do a visual inspection for any metal parts that might vibrate enough to "slap" or "tap" anything.

Very mild misfires can sometimes sound like detonation. Check plugs for bits of metal. Even better if you can go beat the hell out of it, and shut it off quickly, and yank a plug to see if any metal is on there that could potentially get burned off with normal combustion events.

If you are due for an oil change, might be worthwhile to also spring for an oilpan gasket, Yank a cap off a rod, push rod up carefully, and pull the upper rod bearing and check for any scoring or "denting"

Seems a bit extreme overall, but at least you would minimize possible false signals

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2016, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Timing advance should dip in that range. That is where you would generally make peak torque, and detonation is most likely to occur/be audible. Post a datalog of the timing during a pull. It should start high, have a dip at the rpm described, and then come back up a little.

My car hates me.

Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Dip the entire map down around 3500 in timing, watch for AFR changes.

Better be running Shell or Chevron Premium
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
Dip the entire map down around 3500 in timing, watch for AFR changes.

I'll pull another degree or two and try it out

Better be running Shell or Chevron Premium

I'm running 93 octane exxon with Archoil AR6200

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 01-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

You have more than a degree or two of slop, sometimes up to +-9 degrees.

1-2 gear high RPM on and off throttle, make sure to walk your CSB daily.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

What do you mean by "slop"?

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 01-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

It's a supercharger so it's never going to be as care-free as a turbo. You may get boost earlier, but it's not a free ride. A good tuner friend of mine said that most Honda maps are okay up to ~4000, after which you should be adding timing - in crazy amounts for "vanilla" motors like sohc's.

If you think it's detonation, pull a lot more to see if it goes away. Just don't do it for days, too little timing causes high EGT's but it usually misfires before that. It's possible your brain is creating the noise, or you're simply misinterpreting the sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
What do you mean by "slop"?
The timing is based off the cams, which can flop around a bit due to the belt. Since it spins at 1/2 crank speed, any slop is doubled.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

D series Need a lot less timing than B series.

We have fast pistons that move more distance in the same angle..

Your timing looks too linear, should increase to 3300 range, almost flatline to 5000 (Peak Tq) , then add it back in (Tq Dies).

Can we see a Dyno of this engine?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Yeah, the original map was not as linear, I just used this as a test to see if pulling the 3-4 degrees of timing made any difference.

No dyno yet, I was trying to do some basic street tuning to ensure that there was no detonation before spending the money to rent the dyno.

I think the sounds I'm hearing are mechanical noises. I'm going to make a few changes to the det can setup to insulate the rubber hose anywhere that it could contact anything else. I'm also going to try to reduce the length of the hose. We'll see.

Thanks for the input guys

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 01-25-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Pics of det can setup?
And who's gonna tune your car, Noribuilt ? H-Car ?
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

I used Danz's det can design.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...e-det-can.html

I plan on using Noribilt's dyno but I'll be tuning it myself

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 01-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
-TJ
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 -TJ is learning the way of the D-TJ is learning the way of the D

In for anything I can learn...
I've had my JRSC ED HB since '98 and in it's current config running E85 since ~2006. I only use the car Apr-Oct as an occasional city/parts chaser so I've never bothered with a dyno. I pick away at "optimizing" the Zdyne tune every year with only observation tools (wideband display, J&S Safeguard, instruments).
Last "season" I tried crazy timing, as HiRoller put it. 31 + base timing @ 9psi;7400 RPM. I know E85 is a different animal but the A6 seems to love it as the J&S (are they around anymore?) hardly lights up like it will on our 91 octane with much more conservative timing...E85 is getting harder to come by though. It's now a 22 mile round trip to the nearest station.

Last edited by -TJ; 01-26-2016 at 04:49 PM.
-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

You didn't mention running E85 in your initial post, that changes everything. E85 will require more advance, and the A6 head isn't as finicky as some of the other head designs.

Build a det can. You can do it with a stethoscope or electronic (I went with electronic). Playing with timing without a det can or a dyno usually doesn't end well. With that said, running E85 and that map I doubt it's detonation you are hearing, but we don't know intake temps or what cells it's using without a datalog.

What do your plugs look like? Take a high res pic of them with the macro setting, it will let you zoom in and see them better... that method showed me things my aging eyes missed.

My car hates me.

Last edited by Zer0DazE; 01-26-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 khmoe  is accepted as part of the communitykhmoe  is accepted as part of the communitykhmoe  is accepted as part of the communitykhmoe  is accepted as part of the community

Here is my y8 ignition map. running up to 22-23psi/1,5bar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ignition y8.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	101737  
ITR Calipers ,Rear Disc, EBC Blue Stuff Pads.
299.2WHP on a Greddy kit

khmoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2016, 02:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

It continues to blow my mind how many high thousand posters still do not have personal experience..

"My Tuner blah blah blah"

WOW

Get some experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in