Camshaft Degree Question (classic b7 a6) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Camshaft Degree Question (classic b7 a6)

I recently acquired an EG d15b7 with a A6 Camshaft swap for the better half's daily driver. Problem is, I can tell by driving it (and listening) that the camshaft timing is off.

IGNITION timing is correct but ONLY with the distributor PINNED toward the firewall. There is an aftermarket aem tru-time gear on it also. (Gear set at 5 degrees advance) I have read of the 4.75 degree difference and I myself could have installed this properly but it is already in the car now...and WRONG!

Short of swapping in a b7 cam, setting ignition timing and swapping the a6 back again.....how could I correct this?

Also is the 4.75 degree difference, crankshaft degrees or camshaft degrees? (Wondering as the aftermarket gear is currently set at 5 degrees advance but placement of the distributor indicates it may need more???)

Is there some simple answer and I am just overthinking this?

I have a b7 gear, a6 stock and aftermarket gears, and a y7 gear at my disposal. Tempted to just throw on the y7 gear but did I mention the .54 thousandths missing from the bottom of the head?

Unless someone has a better idea than I, this thing will be disassembled and swapped again! Help?

Last edited by Extended Cab EG; 12-28-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Extended Cab EG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Well the other thing to consider it the 88 a6 cam didn't have this issue and you just use the b7 cam gear, someone may have tried to correct the issue that wasn't ever really there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

last I checked, the aftermarket cam gears, each line was 2* of timing. but beer has a good point too
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks you two. Beer, you might be right! My understanding is one degree on cam is two degrees on crank...by rights, that puts my crank at a full 10 degrees right now the way it sits....in relation to valve timing. Are there any marking to identify the 88 a6 cam. I only have the one in the car, so nothing to compare to even if I remove it.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
last I checked, the aftermarket cam gears, each line was 2* of timing. but beer has a good point too
So the 4.75 degree difference is actually....4.75 CRANK degrees? Or 4.75 Camshaft degrees? It may be the previous owner mis-understood also.
I WILL figure this out this evening. LOL!
Old 12-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

find crank tdc
make sure cam gear is for your engine.
set cam gear to tdc
advance cam gear 1 line and check ignition timing
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
find crank tdc
make sure cam gear is for your engine.
set cam gear to tdc
advance cam gear 1 line and check ignition timing
When I compare the adjustable gear (that's on the car) to a y7 stock gear, I can see the "half tooth" difference. I guess it all boils down to EXACTLY what a6 cam I have. Trial and error I assume.
I will try what you said, (in the quote) and if that is sluggish. I will move to the y7 gear to establish a "distributor timing base", then switch back to the adjustable gear and use the timing light as a reference, to return to near zero. (16 degrees) Does that sound right to you?

For some reason, I have been mentally blocking myself from thinking through this. Smoked too much as a young adult, I guess.
Thanks for entertaining me!

Last edited by Extended Cab EG; 12-28-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

There are 2 pics on this thread, no mention of markings though. A degree wheel could really help you figure this out.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...-cam-post.html

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in