What causes a Solid CEL? EF 89 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 EF_hatch is learning the way of the DEF_hatch is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default What causes a Solid CEL? EF 89

HI! i know bad ecu and sometimes bad main relay would cause a solid cel.

what other things would cause a solid cel?

car is a EF 89. with B18C1 swap.

still need to wire up Vtec soneloide and lambda but i did a new basemap just for first start up, it start good, just solid cel and using crome PRO doesnt shows any CEL.
EF_hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Have you even tried to.pull. code?
Lots of things can cause the ecu to.be on solid, bad jumper harness, bad ecu soldering, bad chip, etc,
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 EF_hatch is learning the way of the DEF_hatch is learning the way of the D

ECu and harness is good because i used mine, works good in my personal car (EF 90).

I installed even a PM6 stock ecu just for to see if it pulls any code but nothing happens.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Maybe the cluster is bad or the CEL wire is grounding out. If the bulb is getting power/ground from an external source (short), it will light up regardless but not interfere with the engine/ecu.

Unplug the ecu, turn on the ignition. CEL should not illuminate with ECU unplugged. Check for voltage on the CEL output wire (A13) with it unplugged & key on, and continuity to ground with key off.

You could get crazy and depin that wire from the ECU harness to see if it stays lit, then from the cluster connector if it did stay lit. A noid light hooked up correctly (can't recall if it sends +12v or GND) would tell you what's up after you break that connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Check the light in the ECU first to see if it flashes any codes perhaps?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

OBD0 or OBDI ECU?

OBD0 has 18 possible causes for a CEL and OBDI has 23.

Any issue related to either of those codes can trigger a steady CEL.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
OBD0 or OBDI ECU?

OBD0 has 18 possible causes for a CEL and OBDI has 23.

Any issue related to either of those codes can trigger a steady CEL.
Good point.

I just saw the mention of Crome Pro, so I would ASSume OBD1.

If that is the case, ignore my previous post as OBD1 ECUs don't have the light in them like OBD0 ECUs do.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

On the obd1 side. The cel gets it power from the cluster. It gets ground from Ecu via a13 and d4. A13 comes from cluster to Ecu and d4 goes from Ecu to the service connector.

Make sure the chip is pushed in all the way.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4

Last edited by 2jzdreamin; 11-29-2015 at 03:33 PM.
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Good point.

I just saw the mention of Crome Pro, so I would ASSume OBD1.

If that is the case, ignore my previous post as OBD1 ECUs don't have the light in them like OBD0 ECUs do.
If it's OBD0, yes, steady CEL on the dash and flashing red LED on the ECU.

If it is OBDI, steady CEL on the dash until the diagnostic wires are connected and then it will flash the CEL on the dash.

I didn't catch the Chrome PRO mentioned.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2015, 05:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

thanks for replies!

this is what i did.

use stock obd0 harness and adapted to B18C1 OBD1. swap included a ecu that its supposed that worked with the swap, so i used it and get solid cel. then i used my personal ecu with harness OBD0-1 that works perfectly and samething happens.

Just i need to wire up the vtec soneloid and o2 4 wire sensor but i disabled on crome pro but still solid cel. so i decided to remove harness and use pm6 stock ecu of the car but nothing happnes, only get 1 flash when you key on only.

So i checked if basemap crome pro works just enabling vtec soneloid and then this is what i got.

21: Vtec Soneloid
24 : Unknown.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in