3stage vtec tuning questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 3stage vtec tuning questions

Hello. I've done a bit of research and understood quite a bit about how to tune this engine. I do have a few question that i need to ask regarding tuning with p72 ecu. Assuming everything is wired properly and iab is controlling 1st solenoid. How is the first stage(0 to 3000rpm) tuned? Like below 3000rpm the car is running on 12v, so does this mean i am looking at the area below 3000rpm on the low cam?? Another question is whether this engine can be run on 16v all the time? That would mean the first stage is eliminated and then could the p28 be used to tune like a regular vtec? Looking forward to any help, thanks.
tony14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 04:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Yes, the first stage would be the low rpm area on the low cam map. You can use anything that can supply 12v to the solenoid to operate either vtec stage. An RPM switch or any output with neptune/crome that can operate a relay at a specific RPM could be used with a p28.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the response. Is it also possible to eliminate the first stage completely and run 16valve throughout? And then tune like a regular vtec engine?

Old 11-17-2015, 05:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony14 View Post
Another question is whether this engine can be run on 16v all the time? That would mean the first stage is eliminated and then could the p28 be used to tune like a regular vtec?
If you want this, get a Y8 yeah instead. I would not suggest you try this at lower RPMs since the activation of the vtec(any vtec solenoid) essentially opens up a rather large(with respect bearing passages) oil passageway that will starve the rest of the engine of much needed lub. Aside from that, it requires more pressure from the oiling system than the oil pump can provide at those lower RPMs.
97-Civic-Ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2015, 06:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Ok thanks for the info. So running on 16v all time is a bad idea. So using iabs for the 1st stage using the p72 ecu seems pretty simple enough from what i've researched. I'll do a little more research on the rpm switch idea, but this might involve more electrical knowledge which currently i do not have. Anyways, thanks for the help.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Yep, just get a z6 or y8 head if you want single stage vtec.

That being said I drove a B16 for quite a while around 2001 with just a toggle switch for vtec, my RPM switch had become unreliable and this was before the makers of turboedit had figured out how to activate the vtec with the auto solenoid.

When I was planning to do any racing or performance driving I would flip on the switch and leave it there, it wouldnt go into vtec at idle, but if you touched the gas and brought it up to 1200-1500RPMs it would drop into vtec and stay there 100% of the time, even when idling. The stock b16 cams were so mild it barrly had more than a mild lope at idle.

So it is possible, but its not a good idea.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Exactly. And another thing to note is that while tunning, the low end can make the upper RPM richer.

So running in 12v at maybe 5-6 load cell and below keep it near 14.7. But the 3stage, especially in the low load cells can handle 16+(It's either 16 Or 18 where the NOx's are at the same level as stoich and better). You do have to figure out timing going higher though. And freeway crusing you can still be in 12v mode even in an SI trans.

Looks like you are approaching this correctly. I also remember finding a PDF going a bit more in depth if you want to really dial in the lean-burn attribute.

I used a N02 output in S300, because it had RPM, load, and TPS calculations included.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...

Last edited by Mr.Fodo; 11-17-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2015, 04:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the help guys. I've seen the iab kit for the p28. Does anyone know how to add iabs to a jdm square case ecu, for example the p08 ecu? And is the d15 3stage vtec head similar to a y8 head? I'm asking so i know which basemap to start with. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

the 3 stage head is exactly like a y8,... only difference is the extra stage of vtec. Its all in the very very long thread you should read. 99% of the questions you will have are answered in that thread:

https://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...e-control.html
97-Civic-Ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have not seem Custom Y8 on this forum in a while, but he has a turbo tuned D15z7 (3 stage). He has also successfully mated a Y8 head to a z7 block as well. May want to send him a PM and see if he has any recommendations.

Last edited by shorty_boy; 11-29-2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added wrong block.
shorty_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in