New O2 Sensor, STILL CODE 41 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New O2 Sensor, STILL CODE 41

So yes i've googled the ish outta this and still cant come across a straight answer

So i had the code 41 for bad heater circuit, but it was constant. So as soon as i'd start the car, pop, code 41

Now, with the new (denso) sensor, after driving on the highway for about 10 mins the code pops back up...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before i just set this damn car on fire
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Did you replace the O2 sensor with an OEM style plug or a universal pigtail? In either case, compare the ECU pinout to the pinout for the O2 sensor. Don't go off of random forum posts for the O2 sensor pinout as every O2 sensor can be slightly different. Preferably, get the data sheet for your O2 sensor from the manufacture's website if available or another reputable source.
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

check the resistance of the 02 heater on the old one and the new one .

,maybe a bad wire... so also check for batt voltage on 02heater circuit.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by keel_hauled View Post
Did you replace the O2 sensor with an OEM style plug or a universal pigtail? In either case, compare the ECU pinout to the pinout for the O2 sensor. Don't go off of random forum posts for the O2 sensor pinout as every O2 sensor can be slightly different. Preferably, get the data sheet for your O2 sensor from the manufacture's website if available or another reputable source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post
check the resistance of the 02 heater on the old one and the new one .

,maybe a bad wire... so also check for batt voltage on 02heater circuit.
pretty sure my wiring is all good... besides if it was a wiring issue wouldnt the CEL come on immediately, not only after driving for a period of time
Old 11-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

ECU issue?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

How did you reset the ecu?

It could be the wiring. There could be a brake or connection problem that when driving moves and loses the connection setting off the cel.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitian-rex View Post
besides if it was a wiring issue wouldnt the CEL come on immediately
Not always. I've had this issue before. I was using a universal O2 sensor and a P28 ECU with an OBD0 harness. The O2 code wouldn't come on until I started the engine, which lead me to believe I had my signal wire mixed up with another wire, possibly a ground. Eventually I got the wiring sorted and the problem went away.
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

The heater wires can be mixed (it's just a glorified resistor), but the two signal wires can't be swapped. Here's a quick list for colors: http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2_wire_chart.jpg Match your sensor's wire colors to one of the brands, then match to your OEM wire colors.

The other thing that can happen is your wiring in the harness could be shot. If the wire that comes from the ecu or to ground is cut/broken/shorted, it doesn't matter what O2 you plug replace it with. It could also be the ecu, but that's less likely. When the wiring is 20+ yrs old and/or modified, it's usually the culprit. Many people solder instead of crimp, and many of those people have very poor soldering & flux-cleaning skills.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

I bypass my secondary o2 with some resitiors and never had the code.

So i would check your wiring to make sure there is no breaks. Also make sure its not getting to hot and lossing connection.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
How did you reset the ecu?

It could be the wiring. There could be a brake or connection problem that when driving moves and loses the connection setting off the cel.
Resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery for like 5 mins

Quote:
Originally Posted by keel_hauled View Post
Not always. I've had this issue before. I was using a universal O2 sensor and a P28 ECU with an OBD0 harness. The O2 code wouldn't come on until I started the engine, which lead me to believe I had my signal wire mixed up with another wire, possibly a ground. Eventually I got the wiring sorted and the problem went away.
I'm using a denso sensor, so pretty much OE replacement... and the CEL ONLY comes on after highway driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
The heater wires can be mixed (it's just a glorified resistor), but the two signal wires can't be swapped. Here's a quick list for colors: http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2_wire_chart.jpg Match your sensor's wire colors to one of the brands, then match to your OEM wire colors.

The other thing that can happen is your wiring in the harness could be shot. If the wire that comes from the ecu or to ground is cut/broken/shorted, it doesn't matter what O2 you plug replace it with. It could also be the ecu, but that's less likely. When the wiring is 20+ yrs old and/or modified, it's usually the culprit. Many people solder instead of crimp, and many of those people have very poor soldering & flux-cleaning skills.
i will try switiching my blue and white wires and see what happens... my harness colors are blackx2 white and green, so i naturally assumed that green would match to blue since the other three colors match up, but after looking at that link you provided i may have been mistaken, but i still feel like if that is the problem my CEL would come on as soon as i start the car... not after driving for a while on the highway.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Try pulling the back up fuse to reset the ecu. Sometimes just pulling the batt cable won't reset the ecu.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
Try pulling the back up fuse to reset the ecu. Sometimes just pulling the batt cable won't reset the ecu.
Or disconnect the negative battery terminal and turn the key to the on position, wait a few mins, turn off and reconnect the battery.
Sac*HXy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2015, 06:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!

did he check the resistance of the new and old 02 sensors heater wires? ,,result ?
Old 11-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post
did he check the resistance of the new and old 02 sensors heater wires? ,,result ?
no havent had a chance yet, but what values should i be expecting (normal range?)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitian-rex View Post
no havent had a chance yet, but what values should i be expecting (normal range?)
10-40 ohms
Old 11-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

You could also check for 12v at the heater wire output from the ecu, or try another ecu to see if the driver transistor for it has been damaged.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thank you all for the much needed assistance and spit-balling...

i have FINALLY solved the problem..

Some of you may know that this really started with me thinking i had a code 4, as opposed to 41, and all the tribulations i went thru with that before realizing it was in fact a 41...

Since then i purchased the new 02 sensor believing all my wiring was good..of which the continuity was one of the things i checked (and had) leading me to believe the wiring was fine..

Well it turns out that though the wiring had continuity... the wire for the signal ground was badly corroded and stiff at a joint in the looming.... so i cut that section out and re-crimped it with a new connector and viola! No more CEL

I'm guessing there must have been enough continuity to make my DMM beep for the test, but either after warming up it lost that continuity or maybe it was too weak for the ecu... either way this was definitely my problem as i have now driven two days with much highway driving and haven't seen the CEL.

So again, big thanks DSO!
Old 11-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!

Yep, continuity is different from amp capacity. Just because a phone wire has continuity doesn't mean it can carry 100 amps. The heater is supposed to be ~1 amp or 12-14 watts. Was it originally a sealed crimp (covered in shrink tube), exposed crimp (plastic cover), or soldered?

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

A continuity test from a multi meter passes 1v through the wire, and no load what so ever.

A voltage drop test would have been much much more efficient. And you would have known your wiring was bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
Yep, continuity is different from amp capacity. Just because a phone wire has continuity doesn't mean it can carry 100 amps. The heater is supposed to be ~1 amp or 12-14 watts. Was it originally a sealed crimp (covered in shrink tube), exposed crimp (plastic cover), or soldered?
soldered by whoever did the very first swap many moons ago... i replaced it with an exposed crimp i guess... the basic slide a wire in each end and crimp, no heat shrink tube
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in