Code 4 (Crank Position Sensor) after replacing HG - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Code 4 (Crank Position Sensor) after replacing HG

so title pretty much says it..

did my head gasket on my z6 (stock, N/A, in a CRX) and after getting her put back together i'm throwing a code 4, but not in limp mode

No CEL before the work, just the bad HG.

I've checked all my connections and grounds, and the wiring has continuity.

Tested the Crank Sensor with a multi meter and it is outside of the 350-700 ohm range (was like 165-ish IIRC)

but whats boggling me is that before i pulled the head (and dizzy obviously) it was fine, no CEL.. i didnt drop the damn dizzy or anything so in not sure why now my crank sensor is bad

car runs well but i can tell the A/F mixture is off cuz of this CEL

anybody have any experiences like this??

any insight is appreciated!
thanks
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

i had a problem like this but it was the tdc sensor i believe, ended up being a loose pin in the distributor connector

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
i had a problem like this but it was the tdc sensor i believe, ended up being a loose pin in the distributor connector
thanks. but yea i've unplugged and re-plugged in the dizzy like six times trying to see if it was just a bad connection

Old 09-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Odd things happen with electronic parts, one day they work the next they don't. It happens. You have already confirmed its out of spec so just replace it.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

clear codes with a scanner if possible. before next startup, do a wiggle test on al;l wires behind the distributor plug. Look for ones that allow the wire to move around a little bit.

Check to see if the back of the plugs have those tiny rubber grommets around each wire.

you can temporarily bridge the wires by using a few paperclips and extra wire. Carefully push a paperclip (straightened out) into the back of the plug at each wire. use spare wire to wrap around the end and bypass the plug for those 2 or 3 wires.

If the CEL still pops on, you need to start looking for a low mileage OEM distributor. YOu cannot buy just those sensors

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 04:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post
Odd things happen with electronic parts, one day they work the next they don't. It happens. You have already confirmed its out of spec so just replace it.
i hear ya, but i'd rather look for another cause before i drop dizzy money. But it is most likely going to be the fix.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
clear codes with a scanner if possible. before next startup, do a wiggle test on al;l wires behind the distributor plug. Look for ones that allow the wire to move around a little bit.

Check to see if the back of the plugs have those tiny rubber grommets around each wire.

you can temporarily bridge the wires by using a few paperclips and extra wire. Carefully push a paperclip (straightened out) into the back of the plug at each wire. use spare wire to wrap around the end and bypass the plug for those 2 or 3 wires.

If the CEL still pops on, you need to start looking for a low mileage OEM distributor. YOu cannot buy just those sensors

yes i thought about giving something like this a shot.. i think i am just going to go thru the plug (both ends) and closely examine each pin to see if one is loose or corroded.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 thompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I had this kind of issue before, but it was because I use a Y8 crank trigger to fire my ignition and my TCD indicator in my distributor was a little out of phase with my crank trigger. Being that all 3 of your triggers TDC, Fuel injection timing, and ignition are in your distributor I would be looking for loose or corroded wires or pickups in the distributor.
DIY port and polished head
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
thompson335 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in